Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-09-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

Default TDCi mods?

has anyone upgraded their air filter or intercooler on a TDCi?

im thinking about changing mine but would like to see how others have gone about it though.

does anyone know where i could get an intercooler cheaper than the code red one euro parts sell? if i have to spend that money i will...but would preffer to try get one cheaper lol
i dont want one much larger (if at all) i just dont like the plastic end tanks on the stock one. im sure its adequate for stock boost but would like a ''stronger'' unit.

if i change the filter or intercooler do i wave goodbye to my warrenty?

any help would be much appriciated!

anthony

AnthonyTDCi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #2
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Is the stock one the same size and dimensions as the XR5 one? Because if it is there is a group buy going on for a Radtec intercooler over at www.fordxr5turbo.com. They are getting them delivered for $800 delivered. Just not sure if they would fit with the bumpers and what not.

You only wave goodbye to the warranty of the section that it is affecting, so effectively your turbo. Probably not much more than that...

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 12:22 AM   #3
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

id have to check the size of the intercooler on mine to compare to the XR5 one.

if i go to a slightly larger size of IC, do i lose boost pressure?
Old 19-09-2008, 12:49 AM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

There's something having an intercooler that's too big. Can't remember exactly what it is. Like the excess air builds up at the entrance to the turbo or something. Would have to search for it or ask someone who knows a lot about turbos...

Old 19-09-2008, 01:13 AM   #5
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

yeah i think i know what youre talking about. i dont want now massive VL style IC on my car lol....just would like to get rid of the plastic in the whole turbo system..

do you have a new filter on your lt rjo89?
Old 19-09-2008, 03:08 AM   #6
RJO89
EuroFordClub

lol. VL turbo bro!!!!
A larger intercooler will do your system good. The stock intercoolers are, as you can imagine, rather restrictive, as is just about everything else in stock cars!

I don't have a new filter, no. I removed my intake resonator, which has helped it a bit, but am planning on replacing the entire intake with a cold air intake at some point in time!!

Old 19-09-2008, 08:55 AM   #7
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

any idea if the duratec and duratorq run the same air intake system?
Old 19-09-2008, 09:16 AM   #8
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

pretty sure the actual filter is different, could be wrong.. i should check my sisters zetec to see what sort of filter she has..
tdci has the circular dome shaped one.
Loris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2008, 09:53 AM   #9
RJO89
EuroFordClub

If that's the case they are different. The Duratec has a rectangular air filter on the RHS of the engine. Encased in the airbox, obviously. I'm planning on removing the airbox, getting some aluminium piping and running it down behind the fog lights and slapping a pod filter on there. Should see very mild improvements, if not just for the sound!!!

I've never actually seen the engine bay of a TDCi. Can someone do me a solid and take a photo?

Old 19-09-2008, 10:54 AM   #10
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

pic of my engine bay, not much going on
Old 19-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #11
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

going on as much as mine is lol

went to check my filter out and discovered i need a socket and extension bar to open it :S unusual approach to the common snap clips that are normally used. ill get my socket set from my old mans place and inspect it.

im very keen on opening the intake system up a bit....but going to have a bit of a geez around the engine bay and see what i can do so i can mod it....but keep the stock look of the engine bay.

stupid question...but the turbo is mounted on the back of the motor yeah?
Old 19-09-2008, 12:05 PM   #12
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

yep im yet to see it.. i think the only way is if you drive it up on ramps and look from the bottom up.. follow the air intake piping to the back of the engine.

there are four long screws with socket heads i think they are 7mm.. the one on the right back is a bit of a to get to and get off\on because there is a wire which runs right on top of it which doesnt easily bend away. so there isnt much clearance.
Old 19-09-2008, 12:13 PM   #13
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

thought so. not alot of room in the engine bay. ill get some ramps and search around a little bit. ill measure up the piping and stuff and then make a few calls to try and replace the plastic stuff.

my guess is i need to remove the front bumper to take the IC off?
Old 19-09-2008, 05:56 PM   #14
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Engine bay doesn't really show off a whole lot, does it?! Yeah I believe the turbo is mounted at the rear of the block, right next to the firewall, about halfway down, maybe a bit further.
Are the screws for the airbox torx bits? I presume they'd be the same with all the models. They look like a star, like the security screws used in phones, but in larger form! I know what you mean about getting the screw at the back out, absolute pain in the a$$!!!!

Anthony, not necessarrly required to remove the intercooler that you remove the front bar. Due to the small size of the stock cooler, it can be maneuvered out. However for simplicity, and if you need to modify the bar or splash plate underneath it, it would probably just be easier to remove the bar.

Old 19-09-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

the bolts that hold the airbox together are actually just normal hex bolts....about 8mm. ill disassemble mine when i find my socket set lol.
Old 19-09-2008, 07:57 PM   #16
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

pretty sure its 7mm
Old 19-09-2008, 10:51 PM   #17
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

haha yeah probably right loris.

going to enquire about getting some alloy tube to replace the stock piping and bend it up myself.

hmm...so much to think of :S
Old 26-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #18
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loris
ive got what looks to be a stone chip on the front grille, anyone know where to get a chrome one other then euro-parts?
Old 26-10-2008, 11:19 PM   #19
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

Exclamation

If its an efficient intercooler, then you shouldn't have any problems.

Intercoolers that are just too big for the application will have lag and may need to be re-tuned because the computer will still think that it has a small intercooler.

Remember.. think efficient!
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 12:57 AM   #20
Mullett
Badly Focused

Exactly, you need one that matches your system. A massive one is a waste, and creates lag because of excess inlet volume. Remember that your piping is just as important, because it has volume. So long-*** intercooler piping is a big no-no. As far as the plastic endtanks, you'd be amazed how strong they are, and they don't suffer heat soak, they're light and easy to form into a good shape, so don't write them off. Remember...your radiator probably has plastic end tanks, that holds 13psi or so, for a LONG time, and they have to be reliable...

If you're worried about inlet temps, get a thermocouple and check your inlet temps at different points. It's not as much of an issue with a diesel as a petrol, but cooler is always better. If you're considering spending $800 on an intercooler, weigh up the cost/benefit. By far the best bang for your buck on a TD motor is a tune, so that'd be the first place i'd look after a basic inlet. If you're on a budget (and who isn't?), it pays to carefully weigh up everything you're getting, rather than just buy bits because that's what everyone else has. I'm hoping to get mine to a decent lap time within a 2k budget (including wheels)

As far as warranty...they have to be able to trace it back to the modification. So if the intercooler falls apart and spits crap thru your intake system, it'll munch your motor and void your warranty. Apart from that, you're fine (and I've never heard of that happening)

my 2c

-RM.

93 GSR/Evo3...too much to mention, 12.2sec 1/4, FOR SALE!

*Maybe we don't try putting holes in things that sink, yeah?*
Mullett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #21
BlackLS
yum

Quote:
Originally Posted by eXtremist

Intercoolers that are just too big for the application will have lag and may need to be...
But you get longer doses :(

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2008, 10:24 PM   #22
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modify...rformance.html
check out what i found.

let me know what you guys think
Old 23-11-2008, 11:45 AM   #23
Loris
Focus & Territory TDCi

im still yet to find the chip port on the tdci, ive been in contact with tdi-tuning and they have given me some more information about where it should be on the focus.. but still no luck..

has anyone else with a tdci found it?
the only port i see is on the inside under the steering wheel\head light switch..
Old 27-11-2008, 06:33 PM   #24
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

i havent had a look for it as of yet. will do soon though.

i had a bit of a play around today in the engine bay.....basically checking out the intake system.

i wish to run a K and N filter to replace the stock one, and i want to run a CAI pipe that feeds from the grille. i dont think there is enough room to get the full diameter of the CAI pipe....but i could be wrong. is the petrol intake system the same as the diesel setup? the stock setup seems very restrictive imho.

Old 27-11-2008, 11:55 PM   #25
BlackLS
yum

Petrol is completely different. The throttle body is where the oil cap is on the diesel, 10cm to the right is the top of the first airbox, that leads down through a plastic pipe to a second airbox between the passenger foglight and wheelarch, which gets air from above the wheelarch.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 12:11 AM   #26
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

from what i can see, when the plastic shroud goes over the intake pipe/grille, the engine is only taking hot air from the engine. still not to sure how to run the pipe from the air box. i want to try and eliminate too much cutting of the stock airbox aswell.
Old 28-11-2008, 12:24 AM   #27
819_FLY

i have a plan of attack when I have some spare time, i am going to run a flexible hose from the fog light panel on the passenger side (obviously with the panel modified to allow air to pass through it) and then run it up to the mouth of the airbox (at the base) as with diesels it would be slightly different given the positioning, but similar results could be achieved if you don't have a fog lights assembly in the talked about spot. Should provide a nice direct channel of air to flow into the airbox whilst still being high enough off the road surface to minimise the heat taken in from the road temperature and also ingesting too much water when fording has to be undertaken... ill put some pics up when I get creative with it folks.

Check out 819FLY!!
819_FLY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2008, 12:33 AM   #28
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

yeah i had a similar idea but still yet to find enough room to run the pipe.
Old 28-11-2008, 01:28 AM   #29
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I'll be doing my intake either tomorrow or next month some time. Either going to be this or exhaust tomorrow .
I'm planning on completely removing the airbox, have some silicon joiners and aluminium pipe. 45 degree silicon coming out of the TB, then some aluminium. Run it down to behind the fog light surrounds and cut a hole in the plastic (don't have fog lights). Slam a pod filter on the end and bam, instant noise!!

Old 29-11-2008, 05:55 PM   #30
AnthonyTDCi
Focus TDCi

so RJO89 you chose your exhaust huh!?

thought id have a hack at that piece of plastic on the intake today.

here is what i did:

basically the intake is now taking air from the back side of the grille, rather than the underneath side of the bonnet.

not sure how the fuel economy will react to this change...hopefully it stays good. ive noticed a little bit more response from the motor at higher speeds. soon as i took it out for a run the fuel average went to 6lt/100 but if now making its way down again. possibly adjusting to different airflow maybe?

at least if the mod doesnt work i can buy revert back to stock as that piece of the inlet is about $15 from ford.

will keep you's posted if i notice any more changes.