Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 06-06-2011, 10:36 PM   #1
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default LV Intake Mod

PART ONE - INSTALLATION

Let me start this by saying I'm no expert, and this was done for a bit of fun and as an experiment. Some of this might help someone looking to pull apart the intake system of the LV Focus, if nothing else. It's also a long, pic heavy post in two parts, so you have been warned...

After looking under the bonnet and removing a few plastic parts, I realised the LV has a different intake arrangement to the LS/LT that preceded it.

In the front right corner of the engine bay, there is an airbox with only two outlets: one to the crankcase, the other to the throttle body - no sign of any resonator clinging to it. It's a fairly large box, designed to hold a cone filter.

Cone Filter in Place (in this case it's a K&N but the OEM is of the same proportions)

The snorkel comes out of the front of the airbox loops over the radiator, then does a 90o turn to the left, does a bend under the bonnet locking mechanism, and opens at the left end of the bonnet. The intake aperture faces up right under the radiator cover.

Front of Engine Bay

Snorkel Tube in Place

Snorkel Intake Aperture

My initial thought was what if I could shorten the intake and/or face it to the front. Would there be an increase in cold, or at least cooler, air? Perhaps even some sort of ram air effect? I decided it was an experiment worth trying out.

So, here's what I did step by step (albeit with some creative licence to avoid the mistakes I made along the way).

1. Unscrew the scrivet screws holding the radiator cover, as well as the upper grille (you don't strictly need to pull out the grille, but it helped me wriggle stuff out later on). You need to unscrew the screw itself at least halfway, then pull out the sheath part. If you haven't unscrewed far enough, then the sheath won't come out.

Scrivets on radiator cover.

Scrivets holes on RHS holding upper grille and radiator cover. http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...takeMod007.jpg

Once you've taken that stuff off, you should be looking at this.

Snorkel Tube in Place [/IMG]

If you look closely, you will see a blue spot on the intake tube, where it starts to curve left. This is the connector between the short length of tube coming out of the airbox and the longer section running along the radiator. It's the long part I'm intending to remove.

2. At this point, the more clever person would take off the upper grille, and the lock mechanism, but I didn't want to fiddle with anything more than I needed to, so the option is there for anyone braver than me.

Given the above, I soon found I had an almighty wrestle on my hands. There wasn't enough room to pull the two intake sections apart. I decided to open the airbox and disconnect the end from there first.

3. The airbox lid is held open by four hexagon-shaped-head nuts (can't remember the name of them off-hand). They're a bit awkward with substandard tools like I have, but not too hard to get off. Then you can see how the little hooks of the intake tube hold onto the inside of the airbox.

Inside Airbox Showing Intake Connection

Unhook those and the intake tube slides out of the airbox.

4. At this point you have the intake tube out of the airbox, but still attached to the car along most of its length. Unless, of course, you took off the upper grille. Don't fall for the trick I nearly did of thinking you have to start unscrewing the thing - it simply lifts up off grommety things like the ones here with the white centre.

Shifting Intake Tube

http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...takeMod010.jpg

5. It's now time to take the long intake section out of the car. If you have the grille already out, it would be easy. If you don't it's a bit of a wrestle. Originally, I tried it without having the airbox part removed - it can't be done.
After separating the two halves (which can be pulled apart easily enough once they're free), you can do it with some wriggling.

The Long Part of the Intake (the part removed)
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...keMod014-1.jpg

The Short Part of the Intake (retained)
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...keMod015-1.jpg

Note how narrow the opening is in the retained part. My aim was to find a way of widening and/or adding a bell-mouth. A visit to Bunnings and my local Supercheap didn't reveal any solutions, so this is an ongoing issue to sort out.

There was a heat shield around the end of the long part of the intake, see here and here

Hoping for a miracle I tried to install that below the shortened end of the new intake, but it didn't fit of course. I think, however, it's a reasonable template to something that could/should be mocked up, since heat from the radiator is my major worry.

7. Rehook up your short intake into the airbox and close up the airbox.This is the end result.

Reinstalled Short Intake

By the time you've replaced the covers, you can't see it from above, and by peering through the upper grille you see this: http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...takeMod023.jpg

Very stealthy all round.

End of Part One

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.

Last edited by In Focus; 06-06-2011 at 10:42 PM.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: LV Intake Mod

PART 2 - CONCLUSIONS

So after tinkering with this, I went down to Bunnings and Supercheap, as stated, but couldn't find anything to suit.

Since that failed, I decided it was time to take it for a drive and see if it worked.

The conclusion?

Maybe.

If I had to swear to it, I'd guess there was a slightly improved throttle response and slightly lower revving at freeway speed. For the fun of it, I rezeroed my average fuel reading on the freeway, and it quickly dropped to 5.0L/100km before climbing back to about 5.7 over an uninterrupted 5km stretch at 100kph. Onto another 5km or so at 70kph, it fell back to 5.4. This is a petrol automatic, by the way, and I can't say I've seen those sorts of figures before. That said, I did have a rolling start, so I can't swear the car wouldn't have achieved the figures with its normal intake.

Here are some more shots and points that are worth mentioning.

My chief concerns are, in order:

1. The size of the intake. It's about 10cm wide by barely 2cm high. There's even a squashed in bit, intended to fit over the edge of the frame holding the radiator. If I could widen/lengthen it somehow, get it closer to the grille opening, I'd be happier. Then again that could affect point (3) below.

2. Heat. It's picking up a fair bit from the radiator, I should think, even if there must be some on-rushing air to balance this. Some sort of insulation/heat shield may be in order. The one left in place, intended for the original intake opening, may be worth duplicating in some fashion.

3. The hole itself. It's facing forward, and though partly shielded, it could be inviting stones/large bugs etc. Not sure how much I should be concerned about this.

The other point worth mentioning is the airbox. Although large, it has a few "ribby" bits. See the following pics. Are they there for any good reason? Or perhaps for muffling? As stated earlier, there doesn't appear to be any significant resonator, unless the longer tube was intended to do that.

Airbox lid

Looking away from the throttle body intake (the big curve is where the top of the filter sits -anyone who knows what they're looking at can see K&N stamped on the top of the filter without havign to open the airbox)
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...takeMod003.jpg

Overhead view

Repeat of view looking towards Intake - this time note the fins on entry
http://i1097.photobucket.com/albums/...takeMod004.jpg

So that's it. I'm open to any suggestions and/or constructive criticism on this whole project. As stated, it was for fun and as an experiment, and I certainly enjoyed it, even if it proves to have no benefit.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
globy
Starter Motor

Thanks for this, I will have a go at this when I can find some time.
globy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2011, 11:22 PM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No worries. I should add it took me about an hour, but that included false starts, taking pics, undoing the airbox three times... So I'd conclude half an hour for anyone trying it.

Also, I took an hour-long drive, gave it some stick a couple of times, and the temperature gauge needle didn't shift off the halfway line. Summer heat might be a different story, however...

Old 07-06-2011, 12:21 AM   #5
Turbodiesel
Torquer

I was so disappointed when I discovered the engine was sucking hot air from inside the engine, such a poor design.

Before I put my CAI in I pulled all that plastic garbage out, even that foam strip on top of the condenser so air could get into the engine. I'd say it is the way it is for noise and emissions reasons.

Good job mate, it might not make a big difference but it has to be better than stock

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 12:47 AM   #6
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks, mate. I was trying to keep it easily reversible to look after warranty. I didn't think of tossing the foam. Do you think that'll help?

You're right, though. I don't pretend to know much about it, but it didn't seem very logical when I looked at it.

Btw, where does your CAI pull air from?

Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I might have tripped off alarm bells at the service department if they realised my intake tube is hot glued in, lol.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2011, 09:05 PM   #8
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ha. Oh, and I should give you some credit for some help with this, Damo.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #9
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Focus

Btw, where does your CAI pull air from?

The bottom of the engine bay near the passenger side front wheel, I'd rather not suck up all the debris from vehicles in front.

When I pulled all thatstuff out, the filter would always be cool even after a long trip. Taking that foam strip off gave the air a direct path into the engine, when I had the filter sitting in the stock airbox it would always be hot.

With that simple albeit non-legal modification my fuel consumption dropped by around 0.5L /100km. Just goes to show they make them to meet regulations, not to be efficient.

2007 LT Focus TDCi S
Bluefin Remap - K&N Apollo CAI - 2.5" Turbo-back Straight Pipe - 24mm Rear Sway bar - LT Zetec Bodykit - Black Projector Head Lights - LED Tail lights - DMB Overlays - Alloy Pedals - Scuff Plates - Sports Gear Knob - LV XR5 Springs - LV XR5 Wheels - Pirelli P-Zero Nero
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm looking to extend that short bit of snorkel tube, but probably a foot at most (for space reasons). Would it be better to have a wide tube that narrows at the "join" or a consistent aperture tube? If going wider, I'd be looking to keep it rectangular, just higher (rather than wider), ie say 4-5 cm high (rather than 2cm) and still 10cm wide.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:22 PM   #11
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Further research seems to suggest a reasonably consistent diameter should be maintained, with gradual narrowing. This still leaves the problem of what tube to connect. The obvious solution would be chop the original snorkel, but I want the ability to return the set-up to stock quickly. Anyone know how much a replacement snorkel would be?

While I'm asking any questions, does anyone think it would be a good idea to wrap the shortened intake in neoprene (wet suit material)? Would it get too hot for the stuff in this area? Its melting point is about 115 C. Or would some sort of heat wrapping be a better choice?

Old 13-06-2011, 09:28 PM   #12
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Answer to my own question: the long part of the snorkel is $48. Less than I thought it might be, but about double what it's worth...

Old 19-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #13
frozen xr5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbodiesel
The bottom of the engine bay near the passenger side front wheel, I'd rather not suck up all the debris from vehicles in front.

When I pulled all thatstuff out, the filter would always be cool even after a long trip. Taking that foam strip off gave the air a direct path into the engine, when I had the filter sitting in the stock airbox it would always be hot.

With that simple albeit non-legal modification my fuel consumption dropped by around 0.5L /100km. Just goes to show they make them to meet regulations, not to be efficient.
you wont suck anything in, my pod filter sits just behing the passenger foglight
frozen xr5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-06-2011, 09:44 PM   #14
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still haven't worked out anything for a bellmouth or slightly longer intake. Apart from a neoprene sleeve for the intake (otherwise known as a stubbie holder...)

Old 25-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
globy
Starter Motor

Okay so I gave this ago today. It was as easy as it looks.

For those who are looking to do this mod as well, to make it a little bit easier to remove the snorkel there is a O-ring holding down the air box. Remove this and you will be able to pry off the snorkel at the blue dot without having to take off the upper grill.

You can see this O-ring in the pictures labelled Scrivets on radiator cover and snorkel tube in place. Just look closely at the silver clip hanging off the intake tube.
Old 25-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #16
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Re: LV Intake Mod

Good job, Globy. That will turn it into a fifteen minute job.

Old 27-06-2011, 09:49 PM   #17
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Since I'd decided I wanted more length (on the intake as well), I took the longer length of the snorkel and sawed it thus.

This was a compromise position, because it allowed me to attach this part to the existing grommet, and it was where the snorkel started to open out a bit wider to around 4.5-5cm square (more or less square, anyway).

After some filing of the rough edges, the sawn off end is linked to the existing shortened intake. It's mostly facing sideways, to avoid direct stone and/or water ingestion, but hopefully it picks up from a high air pressure area. Yes, that is a stubby holder on the previous shortened intake; it was a half-arsed attempt to add a little thermal insulation. I also realise the two pieces aren't properly joined; I fitted them closer together after taking the snap.

Verdict: Similar fuel economy, but the throttle seems to respond more quickly. Both ways. Revs climb quickly, but just as quickly drop when I ease up.

I don't know whether to leave those holes uncovered, but they're shielded with a small fin, so I thought they might serve a useful purpose, even in this shortened intake.

Next tasks, unless one of you convinces me they're not good ideas, is to insulate the whole intake with a tube of Superlon I picked up at Clark Rubber (50mm diameter, so I'm going to have to file the insides out a little, then stretch and/or lubricate it with something) - something better than the stubby holder... I also have a small, hemispherical metal strainer which slots perfectly into the Superlon tube, which I'd like to try to make into a stone filter.

Oh, and I bought a replacement snorkel tube in case I stuff something up and/or need to return to stock quickly.

Any thoughts/constructive criticism welcome.

Tom

Last edited by In Focus; 27-06-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 29-06-2011, 06:33 PM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Oh, and I bought a replacement snorkel tube in case I stuff something up and/or need to return to stock quickly.

Any thoughts/constructive criticism welcome.

Tom
How much was that?

Also for anyone who does this mod and takes out the bonnet latch, REMEMBER TO PUT IT BACK IN!

We forgot to when we did my driving lights, so I had a bonnet which wouldn't open, we had to put it back in through the upper front grille with two long flat blade screwdrivers, massive MASSIVE pain in the ***.
Old 29-06-2011, 08:00 PM   #19
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

$48 for the longer part of the snorkel.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
$48 for the longer part of the snorkel.
Yeah, I thought it'd be a tad expensive, lol.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:27 PM   #21
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I reckon it's worth about half that. The one I bought even has the same blue dot on it.

Incidentally, it has "Ford of Europe" on the packaging, so it looks like anything that fits in the equivalent Euro model should fit ours. I'd love a specifically designed replacement intake, but maybe we've got one that's more than good enough.

Tom

Old 02-07-2011, 12:03 AM   #22
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting thread. It has inspired me to do a bit of research on different types of intakes.

Im not sure if youve red them but heres a few articles on air intakes

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_air_intake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cold_air_intake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_ram_air_intake
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2011, 12:39 PM   #23
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmm, I'd say on the whole I've created a cold air intake, because I have the shortened length and more direct intake tube the article talks about. Then again, the air near the radiator might still be considered "warm".

Old 09-07-2011, 04:44 PM   #24
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Are XR5 intakes the same? As in XR5 aftermarket stuff fits TDCI I know intercooler is.
Old 09-07-2011, 05:41 PM   #25
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Are XR5 intakes the same? As in XR5 aftermarket stuff fits TDCI I know intercooler is.
No, the intakes are different.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #26
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From what I can see, the RS intake looks more like ours, or rather yours, Damo.

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/car...ec_29_photo_15

You can see in the picture that the airbox at least is the same. Be interesting if that system could be adapted to ours.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:18 AM   #27
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I was looking at ordering the Code:RED one just then, but unfortunately European-Parts doesn't have a credit card option for payment and I can't be bothered creating a paypal account and going down to the bank to verify the credit card.

No one seems to know if cold air intake kits for ST suit TDCI because there is a lot of aftermarket kits out there:

http://www.autospecialists.co.uk/Sup...uct-1016.html#
Old 11-07-2011, 02:35 AM   #28
75Cortina

Hey In Focus,

I've got a XR5 and my mate has a RS focus and i've tinkered around with both,
From what i can see you have done, you might find some more inprovment with a RS bottom box and RS Snorkel amd montune top lid for your car,
the RS set up has a extra pipe on the side of where your intake snorkel is that feeds into the airbox.
Or from looking at how the LV bay is desgned you might get a RS focus CAI in there, the airbox looks so close!!!
Also the RS doens't have that bit running under the bonnet lock and just has a wider intake at the start of the radiator support panel

Cheers
Jason

PS have a look at RS engine pic's i'm 100% confident you could get a RS focus airbox in there!
Full Floater 9in 31 Spine with locker

Its almost there!!!!
75Cortina is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #29
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you're right, 75 Cortina. Though I'm not sure whether a 107kw 2L petrol could handle all of that extra intake, since it's supposed to be for upgrading a 224kw powerhouse...

Old 16-07-2011, 12:26 AM   #30
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I wonder...

http://www.jam-sport.co.uk/home/mk2-...and-scoop.html