Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-12-2023, 09:27 PM   #781
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Default Re: Common Problems with the AU??

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG2 View Post
The inlet manifold gasket is a very common problem with these cars and the issues that you are experiencing point to this may be the problem.

The second most common issue is the coil pack.
See that’s what I thought as well but it doesn’t skip a beat at idle.it idles very smoothly and it’s not high or low…when I’ve got my next day off on Saturday I’m going to check it as well as tps and fuel reg…coil will be the next thing I look at after fuel reg…thanks for your suggestion I’ll let u know how my diagnosis goes.
Pratty04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2023, 12:19 AM   #782
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pratty04 View Post
See that’s what I thought as well but it doesn’t skip a beat at idle.it idles very smoothly and it’s not high or low…when I’ve got my next day off on Saturday I’m going to check it as well as tps and fuel reg…coil will be the next thing I look at after fuel reg…thanks for your suggestion I’ll let u know how my diagnosis goes.
An AU can idle as smooth as a baby's you know what with a blown inlet manifold gasket.

I've owned a few AUs over time (three of them with now over 300,000ks) and not once have any of them had sensor and/or fuel reg problems. That is not to say that yours could be different.

I have had to change the manifold gasket on each and every AU that I have owned as well as the coil pack. An AU inlet manifold gasket will cost about $25. Even if that is not the problem, it will be good insurance, as it won't be if, it will be when the manifold gasket blows.

Let us know how you go. There are a bunch of us AU tragics on here that are always more than willing to help.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2023, 08:47 AM   #783
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Yep, my sportsman would take ages to crank sometimes, not all the time. I let manifold gasket was the fix. Did plugs, leads, coils etc etc, chasing the problem.
Old 08-12-2023, 11:58 AM   #784
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Quote:
An AU can idle as smooth as a baby's you know what with a blown inlet manifold gasket.

I've owned a few AUs over time (three of them with now over 300,000ks) and not once have any of them had sensor and/or fuel reg problems. That is not to say that yours could be different.

I have had to change the manifold gasket on each and every AU that I have owned as well as the coil pack. An AU inlet manifold gasket will cost about $25. Even if that is not the problem, it will be good insurance, as it won't be if, it will be when the manifold gasket blows.

Let us know how you go. There are a bunch of us AU tragics on here that are always more than willing to help.
Cheers man for the help Inlet manifold gasket will be the first thing I’ll check tomorrow will keep you updated thanks again
Old 09-12-2023, 02:05 PM   #785
tony08
BOSS 5.4

Well here's one for you. AUII Fairlane 5ltr V8 I turned the aircon on the other day and all works fine I can adjust the fan speed etc but when I turn it off the display reads as it should off, the problem is the fan is still on and even when I take the key out of the ignition the fan is still working very slowly the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. I am wondering if there is a faulty relay something like that, that is still powder up. Any help or suggestions would be of a great help.
tony08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2023, 08:47 PM   #786
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Quote:
Cheers man for the help Inlet manifold gasket will be the first thing I’ll check tomorrow will keep you updated thanks again

Quick update: replaced the intake manifold gasket turned out it was blown but still hasn’t fully fixed the issue also did a new throttle body gasket with it as well. I think my next go to is gonna be the coil pack is that what you’d would suggest or something else..
Cheers
Old 10-12-2023, 11:46 PM   #787
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Quick update: replaced the intake manifold gasket turned out it was blown but still hasn’t fully fixed the issue also did a new throttle body gasket with it as well. I think my next go to is gonna be the coil pack is that what you’d would suggest or something else..
Cheers
Thanks for getting back to us. It allows others to read the outcome and possibly help them with a similar problem.

Yeah, I would be changing the coil pack next. Try and avoid the cheaper ones, they can be a little hit and miss.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-12-2023, 02:41 AM   #788
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Quote:
Thanks for getting back to us. It allows others to read the outcome and possibly help them with a similar problem.

Yeah, I would be changing the coil pack next. Try and avoid the cheaper ones, they can be a little hit and miss.
Plan is to replace it with a genuine vdo coil pack
Old 08-03-2024, 08:37 PM   #789
Pratty04
Starter Motor

Hi all, having a bit of an issue with my au thermo fans
Replaced thermo fan motors with tested used ones.
Now fans will cycle in before normal operating temp and will run continuously no cycle out.
Any suggestions?

Have already swapped relays