The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation BMW To Go Front Wheel Drive

BMW’s front-drive shock
JEZ SPINKS
March 18, 2010

BMW will abandon a vehicle design it attributes to better grip, traction, steering and comfort in the quest for better fuel economy and demand for smaller vehicles.

BMW yesterday confirmed it would finally follow other luxury rivals – including Mercedes-Benz and Audi – by building a front-wheel-drive small car.

BMW boss Dr Norbert Reithofer yesterday said at an annual accounts conference that new compact and sub-compact models would help boost profits and reduce the company’s fuel consumption and overall CO2 emissions.

“In the future we will launch more Mini and BMW models and variants – also in the small-car segment,” said Reithofer. “This segment is expected to grow further, and we will take advantage of this opportunity.

“We are exploring the possibility of developing a joint architecture for the front-wheel- and four-wheel-drive systems of these cars. In other words, there will be front-wheel-drive BMWs in the smaller vehicle classes in the future.”

Despite owning the Mini brand that popularised front-wheel-drive for the world, the German car maker has previously criticised front-drive vehicles for reducing grip and corrupting steering – even ruling out Audi as a genuine rival because its front-wheel-drive cars were not suited to luxury motoring.

All current BMW passenger cars are rear-wheel drive, including its smallest model the 1-Series, with one executive once stating “premium cars have rear-wheel drive because of comfort and design.”

When the BMW 1-Series arrived in 2004 BMW said its rear-drive layout was crucial, saying it “ensures improved grip and better traction under acceleration” and that it delivers “optimum grip leaving the front wheels to steer”.

The new front-wheel-drive BMW platform is understood to be capable of underpinning models ranging from 3.8 to 4.3 metres long, which at their extremes are slightly smaller than the current Mini and slightly longer than a Volkswagen Golf.

The architecture is expected to debut on the next-generation Mini due in 2014, with industry reports suggesting the platform could spawn up to 20 different models.

The second-generation 1-Series due in 2011 is likely to remain rear-wheel drive, and BMW has yet to reveal whether its new sub-compact range would be called the 0-Series.

Peugeot-Citroen (PSA) would be expected to be BMW’s preferred choice of car maker it decides to share development costs for the platform. The French car-making group already has an alliance in place to share four-cylinder engines between front-wheel-drive Peugeots and Citroens and Minis.

My Comment..if BMW is going FWD..who says FORD won't go FWD with the Falcon ??????

Old 19-03-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
CFOUR
The Destroyer

FWD= fail.
Old 19-03-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a platform that is smaller than any current BMW models - so it is not replacing any of the rear drive products. In the compact and sub-compact market, RWD is pretty much non-existent, because the cars are designed for lower cost and and maximising the limited space in the cabin.
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #4
tweeked
N/A all the way

Obvious move for BMW now they have the Mini

I am sure they will be sharing that platform with the new small model - it makes sense

They will not do this with the 5 series, so a comparison with the Falcon doesn't work

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 01:28 PM   #5
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

From another thread but very relevant here.

Quote:
A lot of that article is so old.

BMW have already entered a development and supply agreement with PSA, a PSA engine and transaxle is in the front of the mini now and has been since 2007 (one in the front of our Mini).

It makes sense for BMW to use this engine group in the front of the 1 series, cheaper to have one small car driveline rather than two. It needs to be pointed out that Mini currently outsells 1 series hatch by about 3-1, RWD hatches do not sell well as they are normally overpriced for what the market will allow and are behind the eight ball with respect to interior space, fuel consumption and emission levels. I have driven 1 series hatch and one thing I noticed is RWD, large power and short wheel base equals a rear end that easily wants to overtake the front in conditions of low grip. I found you had to be careful with the torque of the 120d, traction control is your friend.

Within the next 5 years it appears that the BMW lineup will consist of Mini hatch, cabrio, clubman, coupe, roadster and countryman (Mini SUV AWD). 1 series will expand to hatch in NA petrol, turbo petrol and diesel as well as the introduction of the new X1 (which was being reported to be using the 1.6L PSA turbo motor with AWD). I would not be surprised if the 135 stays RWD as it will use the 335 driveline and FWD is unlikely to deal well with these power levels.

Lots of changes ahead for BMW and a lot of this comes from the use of turbo motors to achieve performance with required emission levels and engine efficiency.

A bit off topic I know but interesting that even BMW are moving away from FWD in smaller car applications. There medium and large cars will stay with RWD or AWD.
By the way, it is only the 1 series that will go FWD at this stage, 3 series and above will stay RWD.

As for FWD = fail

In the small car market, RWD = fail, as evidenced by the poor sales of the BMW 1 series (ie 118, 120, 130). Only the 120d is selling at any reasonable level. The poor sales of the 1 series does not warrant the development of a small car RWD platform when they have a very good small car FWD platform (Mini) and driveline (the PSA).
Old 19-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

The first article says that the 1 series is staying rwd. This is for a new model range altogether
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats not cool.

They have such a great history, the 2002 for example. Bloody accountants.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #8
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

poor 1-series sales is due to the fact that they look like ****
Old 19-03-2010, 02:25 PM   #9
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
poor 1-series sales is due to the fact that they look like ****
Can't understand why either, 135 is a missile and closest thing to a true M3 type gadget in reality (or old speak).

Concur though; FWD = FAIL but it makes sense as most people who buy them now are soft and wouldn't know how to use a 'performance car' properly anyways...sign-o-the times I suppose.

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)

Last edited by platinumXR; 19-03-2010 at 02:43 PM.
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 02:32 PM   #10
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW maybe making a FWD model....oh no the world will end.

I drove an Australian made FWD Ford in 1984, now 26 years later Falcons are STILL RWD.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
... is due to the fact that they look like ****
I dunno...looks ok to me...

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(for sale now...PM me...)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 02:57 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Well any hartage is going to look good. I agree the 135i is a killer car, but, I could like with the looks but its very out there for the category.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
dannyhilton
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BMW has said the 1-Series will remain RWD. This is for a currently non-existent BMW model that will sit below the 1-Series. Think more Mini size. If BMW could make a mini sized car with RWD that was cost effective, spacious and kept the BMW DNA, then that car deserves a medal.

I don't think BMW need a smaller car personally, they don't want to go too low in the marketplace. Give us a 1-Series that looks the goods and they should be fine. Seems strange to abandon their DNA after so much advertising bagging FWD and calling it inferior?
Old 19-03-2010, 06:00 PM   #14
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyhilton
BMW has said the 1-Series will remain RWD. This is for a currently non-existent BMW model that will sit below the 1-Series. Think more Mini size. If BMW could make a mini sized car with RWD that was cost effective, spacious and kept the BMW DNA, then that car deserves a medal.

I don't think BMW need a smaller car personally, they don't want to go too low in the marketplace. Give us a 1-Series that looks the goods and they should be fine. Seems strange to abandon their DNA after so much advertising bagging FWD and calling it inferior?
Depends where you do your reading. The Mini magazine has mentioned 1 series hatches (this does not include 135 as this is 3 series mechanicals) may share the PSA 1.6L FWD driveline with the Mini. The first of this new breed will be the X1, which will be the PSA 1.6L turbo (as used in the Mini Cooper S and Mini JCW) mated to a AWD system based heavily on the Mini transaxle. 1 series hatches are likely to follow after.

I would like to know how many that have driven a high power RWD car with the wheel base of the 1 series are also the ones that say RWD is the best format for such small cars. I have driven such cars and to make them RWD with those power levels would make them dangerous to all but very experienced drivers. A Large RWD car in power oversteer tends to be quite progressive in its development of yaw angle. You can see this if you have driven a GT on a track and then driven a Pursuit (of course I have as we had both at the same time and both went to the track), the longer wheelbase makes the development of slide a lot more progressive and easier to catch. In a car with a wheel base of the 1 series, the car would end swap before you have realised what is happening, particularly in poor road conditions. Lets just say the DSC would have to be top notch (the BMW is very good) and I would suggest it would have to be on permanently, maybe just with a sport mode but always there.
Old 19-03-2010, 10:48 PM   #15
Rev28K
re

Location: Victoria - where being slow & incompetent is considered being "safe"

The 1 series does look disproportionate and I can’t forgive how with new panels they deliberately made the 135 look so willfully ugly. The 1 series coupe is only around 100kg lighter than an equivalent 3 series too.

I thought that I heard a rumor somewhere that the next 1 series may be 4 cylinder only (turbos for the performance variants) which means that it wouldn’t have to have such a long nose to accommodate a straight 6 cylinder engine.
Scuderia Rev: Otto the tow pig - 2007 3.0 litre Coupé, vernünftig schnelle aber kein peilstab, Bathurst 2007 und 2010 zwölf Stunde Gewinner Jaffa the angry ant - mid 70's Honda 市民の, 73 と立方インチ LSD Elle "the body" shell - early 70's Datsun フェアレディ coupe. いい体は彼女の内側、内側と土台を待つ
Rev28K is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #16
BFZ Wagon
Formerly All Wheel Drive

Well I guess it had to happen. The last truly RWD only major manufacturer to go into FWD. (I don't include MINI as a BMW!) At least they'll keep their other models RWD. Will be interesting to see how the newer smaller models handle compared to their RWD siblings.

I don't know why... but I have always hated FWD myself..For me.. It's either RWD or AWD... I guess I just hate how they handle.

Anyway, at least they've been RWD for their entire history. Unlike companies such as Citroen etc. that have been FWD since the 1930's.
Old 20-03-2010, 01:07 AM   #17
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFZ Wagon
Well I guess it had to happen. The last truly RWD only major manufacturer to go into FWD. (I don't include MINI as a BMW!)
:jab: :jab: :jab: :jab: Why not??????

BMW do, in fact they have BMW compliance plates. Its like saying FPV is not a Ford.
Old 20-03-2010, 01:40 AM   #18
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Man why does BMW have to build FWD, leave it to the mini brand.

90% of the world is FWD do we really need another FWD hatch back, BMW or not?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 01:55 AM   #19
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can`t see them doing it with their flagship models, medium, small family /economy cars yes, bmw image is about being a drivers car......... to me anyway, i got too drive a z3 some years ago in a spirited fashion , it was a ball of fun (great car) imagine if they made it fwd, only shoppers would buy it :
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 02:11 AM   #20
Gaz
Got Ghia?

What I'd do for a 135... yummo
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 05:51 AM   #21
morak001
460 - cubes torque

This come from Jez Spinks, I'm sure then that it is therefore a wierd twisted twist on reality. The 'bloke' is nothing more than a 'shock jock' of the wannabe auto world.
As was said they have the Mini, the Mrs had one for several years, it was/is a cheap substandard budget noisy (In the UK and MW's) poo car, compared to my 3 series no comparison, the l6 is too smooth, handling, road attitude etc.
My opinion is that Jez Spinks is once again spinning more crap than a politician on heat! Maybe FWD for the 1series but why would a leading manufacturer desert their customers to chase a highly contested market? Somebody please start paying Jez what he is worth (about 1/2 centrelink)

Last edited by morak001; 20-03-2010 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Spelling/grammeerrr
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2010, 05:57 AM   #22
morak001
460 - cubes torque

Who does Mr(s)?Jez Spinks work for?
Just so we know what magazines not to bother buying......
morak001 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 12:49 AM   #23
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/07/r...rive-concepts/

Quote:
Rumormill: BMW working on range of front-wheel-drive concepts

by Zach Bowman (RSS feed) on Jan 7th 2011 at 4:29PM

When BMW began making noise about bringing front-wheel drive to the table, purists, enthusiasts and fans of the brand immediately busted out the pitchforks and torches. Visions of front-wheel drive 3 Series and 1 Series models were almost enough to induce frenzy (not that a huge number of owners would know the difference...), but if the latest word from BMW Blog is to be believed, the company's front-wheel drive efforts will be contained to a handful of all-new models.

The news comes courtesy of a BMW insider posting on German Car Forum. Supposedly, the main impetus behind delving into a FWD platform isn't to increase the company's average fuel economy as some have guessed. Instead, BMW is looking to make the Mini brand more profitable by sharing platforms with other models under the Roundel.

Those include a new compact BMW roughly the size of a Cooper, as well as an MPV that the insider calls a Compact Gran Sport Tourer. Additionally, there may be room for a crossover-sized front-wheel drive beast as well. Interestingly enough, the report says that the new BMW compact will have proportions similar to those of the Honda CR-Z.

At this point, it's difficult to say whether or not the source from German Car Forum has their facts straight or not, but so far, this is the most detailed glimpse we've gotten into what BMW is up to with its FWD program.

[Source: German Car Forum via BMW Blog]
Old 10-01-2011, 11:35 AM   #24
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

FWD is fine for average A-B drivers. and if you're getting the smallest BMW available you're probably not looking for a performance car.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #25
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fail

biggest fail they have made since their old half a BMW car from the late 90s-2000s cant remember its name bit it looked like a 318i that lost a fight with a crusher.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #26
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

More drivel and making a mountain out of a molehill by none other than Jiz Spanks.

Ok, so BMW are making their smallest car offering FWD, big whoop, they way that article is titled is like the entire BMW range will be FWD.

FWD makes perfect sense for a small car, because economy and efficient use of space are important.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 02:13 PM   #27
mr ghia

I thought BMW was trying to come up with "the world's ugliest cars" for many years now.
mr ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2011, 06:26 PM   #28
SS Eater

What it going to be called, the half series..........half arsed if you ask me...
Old 10-01-2011, 11:08 PM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they must have a fwd they should stick it on the x6. That is already a fail might as well make it worse.

I think it's cool that BMW made the 1 a rwd. They did
Something different to everyone else and it was cool. If you want a cheap, small, spacious car. Look at a yaris and not a BMW that likes To brag about rwd and racing pedigree.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #30
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

FWD. It's the work of Satan himself.

To be honest I was quite happy with the Mondeo TDCi 6 speed I hired in the UK. Not the end of the world.
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post