Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default If Holden was ever sold?

Hi Guys.

With all the talk in the news (and this forum) about Pontiac's and Holden's demise...

I wanted to hear about the sale of Holden. What would happen if Holden is sold to another company? Would it have any effect here on local market or sales.

Would it even be a possibility that Ford/FPV would buy them out?

Would Holden be able to survive on it's own, or could it even buy out Pontiac themselves?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 11:25 AM   #2
LUXO_8
windsor user

im of the opinion chinese carmaker SAIC would buy them.....as they're proposing to do with vauxhal and opal...

who knows what they'd do though...leave them here and make the cars here?...move them to china, make the cars in china, export them to here... who knows
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 11:32 AM   #3
ranger58

My Understanding is if Holden were sold it would be part of a larger sell off (rolled in to the Pontiac deal).

What I would see happening is the sold off companies would in most likelihood be sold into chinese hands (one of the multitude of auto manufacturers out there), they would then use the brand as a way to import their products into the country.

Holden cannot go it alone as it needs the bigger overseas partner to source what it can not locally, secondly it is owned by GM, they will want money for its purchase, they will not just leave it to operate by itself.

Ford will not buy it because they don't want 2 car platforms in Australia, nor do they need twice the workforce/factories to produce their current range. Besides GM will not sell anything to Ford.
Old 26-04-2009, 11:54 AM   #4
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Why would Ford want to buy the Titanic, with the iceberg on the horizon and approaching fast?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 01:14 PM   #5
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58
Besides GM will not sell anything to Ford.
You are kidding right?

I think GM would sell absolutely anything to anybody right about now! ... they basically have a little over a month left to stay afloat ... which I dont think is gonna happen.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #6
Sprint XR8

GM are giving away Opel for free.

Opel - whole company worth less than a single car
General Motors wants out of Opel badly, and according to new reports, it's willing to let the German automaker go without taking any money for it. The only requirement is that the new owner must inject €500 million into Opel for operations. While GM boss man Fritz Henderson has said there are six serious investors in discussions for Opel, and that a deal should be done by early May, the fact that GM has said "if you pay the bills she's all yours" shows that GM is ready to work with anyone who's willing to sign up.

http://www.carandsuv.co.nz/news/8900...e-car-it-makes
Sprint XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #7
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, didn't GM approach Ford for a possible merger last year? (or year before?)
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #8
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Also, didn't GM approach Ford for a possible merger last year? (or year before?)
Yes they did... http://www.autoblog.com/2006/09/18/b...ored-alliance/ --> http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/13/i...ord-about-mer/
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 03:41 PM   #9
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mitsuolden anyone?

Old 26-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
73XBGT

Is this for real? is Holden going to be sold off?? HAHA..if thats true then this has just made my day! lol suck to holden

The Daily: 2003 FPV BA GT-P mk1 (Build #410) silhouette black, leather/suede, auto 4 speed, SCT X4 flash tuned, BluePower racing developments cold air intake, Headers>high flow cats>HiTech “bionic” dual 2.5” stainless system catback
73XBGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I think the more interesting question is "If Holden were sold off by GM what V8 would they switch to?"
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 05:09 PM   #12
Watto_Cobra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ahh yep, that's the one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
I think the more interesting question is "If Holden were sold off by GM what V8 would they switch to?"
And the Alloytec. They are both GM global engines I believe.
Daily: SZII - 56,000 km - converted to Tezza
Watto_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 05:13 PM   #13
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Maybe VW will buy them and it will score the Bugatti W16.......... I would pay $155k for that!
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

First of all, Holden =/= Pontiac. Where does anything say Holden, one of GM's strongest brands, is being sold off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watto_Cobra
Ahh yep, that's the one.

And the Alloytec. They are both GM global engines I believe.
Hmm I don't know what they'd work out, the Alloytec was designed and initially built here under Holden, consulting with Cadillac (who's cars the engines were destined for).
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 06:00 PM   #15
mrbaxr6t
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if holden was sold hopefully the new people running it will make one that actually doesn't look like a squashed poop.

Holden special vehicles - for special people

Last edited by mrbaxr6t; 26-04-2009 at 06:01 PM. Reason: filtered out my message
mrbaxr6t is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #16
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
First of all, Holden =/= Pontiac. Where does anything say Holden, one of GM's strongest brands, is being sold off?

Hmm I don't know what they'd work out, the Alloytec was designed and initially built here under Holden, consulting with Cadillac (who's cars the engines were destined for).
I don't know that "strongest" is the right term.. maybe "one of least worst performing" considering they've been loosing money for a few years now...

Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony in the link between alloytec V6, Pontiac, Holden and going down the gurgler?

Old 26-04-2009, 07:20 PM   #17
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If holden bought pontiac correct me if im wrong but wouldn't that mean gm still own pontiac
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #18
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84
If holden bought pontiac correct me if im wrong but wouldn't that mean gm still own pontiac
Holden can't buy anything, Holden is only a subsiduary "brand name" of General Motors USA ... Holden is not a car company in it's own right

It has always amused me how Holden is somehow etched into Australian mindset as being some sort of Great Australian Company .... How?

General Motors USA sell vehicles under various brand names around the globe including ... Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, GMC, GM Daewoo, Holden, Hummer, Opel, Pontiac, Saab, Saturn, Vauxhall and Wuling.

GM has already dumped Saab, Vauxhall, Opel, Hummer, Saturn and now Pontiac .... how long before it dumps or manages, if it's lucky enough, to sell off Holden ... a business mind you that hasn't made any money for the group for 5 years? .... can't be too far off I reckon.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:12 PM   #19
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by snappy84

Holden don't have money to pay their employees' redundancy packages.........they won't be buying anything let alone another brand..

BTW: they couldn't buy Pontiac unless they were "dumped" themselves...
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:17 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barraxr8
Holden don't have money to pay their employees' redundancy packages.........they won't be buying anything let alone another brand..

BTW: they couldn't buy Pontiac unless they were "dumped" themselves...
Even if both were stand alone entities holden buying pontiac would be like the local brewery buying CUB....

Old 26-04-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
buickman
buickman

Didn't GMH go it alone in the 80's from the US divisions with there own 6's & 8 's? They went from GM to GMH Australia.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:54 PM   #22
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I don't know that "strongest" is the right term.. maybe "one of least worst performing" considering they've been loosing money for a few years now...
Yeah, that's exactly what I meant, but as you just found out it's very hard the phrase .

Quote:
Is it just me or does anyone else see the irony in the link between alloytec V6, Pontiac, Holden and going down the gurgler?
I can't see any irony, care to explain? Cadillac, SAAB and a couple other GM brands use the engine too. Cadillac is THE least worst performing of the GM brands, and Cadillac heavily features the GM High Feature V6.

Had to borrow your double negatives for that. Your similie about Holden buying Pontiac is also pretty good point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robjh80
Holden can't buy anything, Holden is only a subsiduary "brand name" of General Motors USA ... Holden is not a car company in it's own right

It has always amused me how Holden is somehow etched into Australian mindset as being some sort of Great Australian Company .... How?
Ford 'Australia', however...
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 08:57 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamshaaft
I can't see any irony, care to explain? Cadillac, SAAB and a couple other GM brands use the engine too. Cadillac is THE least worst performing of the GM brands, and Cadillac heavily features the GM High Feature V6.
All three are adjunct failures.... and somehow all linked together.

Old 26-04-2009, 09:05 PM   #24
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUXO_8
im of the opinion chinese carmaker SAIC would buy them.....as they're proposing to do with vauxhal and opal...
Rather interesting that SAIC wasn't interested in providing Ssangyong with a further equity injection when it hit the wall in Korea in December (SAIC has a controlling share of Ssangyong IIRC).

Another player to look out for would be Geeley, which just snapped up the DSI plant in Albury.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2009, 10:05 PM   #25
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

GM Wuling. I had to google them.

I can't believe I didn't know about these little gems!

Funny thing it's probably the only successful division.

Old 26-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #26
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kia Chaser
Would it have any effect here on local market or sales.
It will have no affect whatsoever, because Holden is, and will always remain, 'Australian'.

Jokes aside, I thought Holden was a centre of excellent for GM??? Sure they've been losing money since 2004, but the same can be said about any other car company, and certainly nearly all the GM subsidiaries.

And I believe the reason they're losing money is because of GM's sanctioned Zeta platform, which was meant to be GM's Global Rear Wheel Drive. The brief was to build this behemoth floorpan to cater for all of GM's RWD, but then no one told GM the GFC was about to happen (Nor did GM heed any warnings, dating as far back as '82, that they would sooner or later be the cause for their own destruction).

Basically, Holden got screwed by their parent, with export promises that couldn't be kept.

I hope Holden survive in one form or another, Ford needs the competition to keep offering their best. But whatever happens to them it won't change my view that they are a bunch of .
Old 26-04-2009, 10:16 PM   #27
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
It will have no affect whatsoever, because Holden is, and will always remain, 'Australian'.

I hope Holden survive in one form or another, Ford needs the competition to keep offering their best. But whatever happens to them it won't change my view that they are a bunch of .
Yes, the biggest looser if holden fall over is competition, especially in the performance sector. We need holden, and more-so HSV to survive, unfortunately they both need each other.

Old 26-04-2009, 10:41 PM   #28
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Yes, the biggest looser if holden fall over is competition, especially in the performance sector. We need holden, and more-so HSV to survive, unfortunately they both need each other.
I've always said the same thing, especially after FG was released. For bang, size, and handling (in the "gt" sense) for your buck we've got the best products on this planet afaik. And yep, you can thank competition for that.
Old 26-04-2009, 10:59 PM   #29
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

there would be no v8 supercars.....no bathurst, and some high prices in the future for collectable commodores from the 21st century
Old 26-04-2009, 11:42 PM   #30
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
yep 100% agree. just imagine ford going it alone in Aus, there would be no pressure to constantly design and build stronger and more powerful engines. turbo would be dumped, v6 would be introduced and the V8 wouldnt get anywhere near the amount of power gains it has got in the last 5 years.

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post