Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-12-2007, 09:44 PM   #1
stepto and son
Starter Motor

Default any ex-taxi owners on here?

gday
any clubs that are for ex taxis? would be a intresting club. mine is a ef gli, the lady across the road has a au
im shure theres a fair few getting around.
cheers
stepto

stepto and son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 09:54 PM   #2
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

yup its sims metal dude :>
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 26-12-2007, 09:56 PM   #3
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

I've never owned a ex-taxi but there are quite a few getting around down here in Geelong. Do they have to get rid of them once they hit a certain amount of K's ? If so, whats the limit for them ? Cheers, Adam. P.S Welcome aboard seeing this is your first post.

Last edited by NostalgEA; 26-12-2007 at 10:01 PM.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #4
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Any need for that. It's his first post so how about being constructive towards his question.

Last edited by russellw; 26-12-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: Removed quote of deleted post.
Old 26-12-2007, 09:59 PM   #5
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

taxis are my favourite mode of transport behind trains and ferries
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #6
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Once taxis reach a certain age (6 years I beleive) they have to be decommissioned. Which is why the oldest taxi you see these days is late AU II Falcons. They will be dissappearing about now, and the AUIII will go very soon also. Very shortly the first BA's will start to go, and so on.

Im not sure if the Maxi taxis and others have a different set of rules, as I've seen some fairly old Hi Aces getting around.

Likewise the normal taxis must be an LPG run 6cyl, the Maxis run both LPG engines and Diesel engines.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 12:29 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
Once taxis reach a certain age (6 years I beleive) they have to be decommissioned. Which is why the oldest taxi you see these days is late AU II Falcons. They will be dissappearing about now, and the AUIII will go very soon also. Very shortly the first BA's will start to go, and so on.

Im not sure if the Maxi taxis and others have a different set of rules, as I've seen some fairly old Hi Aces getting around.

Likewise the normal taxis must be an LPG run 6cyl, the Maxis run both LPG engines and Diesel engines.
most of that is right
6 years from compliance date
maxi's iirc are 8 years

they can be any engine size and use any fuel, there isn't a set stipulation regarding fuels or engine sizes.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 12:48 PM   #8
Werd.
nou

Can't be true. Theres a few Pre-AU's getting around near me.. These are usually disabled transport taxis though.
Werd. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 12:53 PM   #9
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they're not an everyday basic hack, then they'd more than likely have a longer employment period, as it costs money to have the raised roof wagons and others coach built. They need time to earn the money back on the conversion.

There may be variations in the national standards for taxis that I'm not aware of, which may allow country vehicles to operate longer, and perhaps those not in a capitol city, Im not sure. But otherwise its 6 years, as Tibbo said, from its compliance date.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 01:07 PM   #10
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have two ex-taxi's in our club... or is that 3 now..

anyway, they still rocket along rather well I think considering how much work these poor cars do and how hard some drivers drive them.
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 01:14 PM   #11
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
If they're not an everyday basic hack, then they'd more than likely have a longer employment period, as it costs money to have the raised roof wagons and others coach built. They need time to earn the money back on the conversion.

There may be variations in the national standards for taxis that I'm not aware of, which may allow country vehicles to operate longer, and perhaps those not in a capitol city, Im not sure. But otherwise its 6 years, as Tibbo said, from its compliance date.
There must be some exclusion for the disabled taxi's, as I know there are still a few EL ones running around.
vztrt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-12-2007, 10:36 PM   #12
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

I have a Ex- Taxi

Its a great cheap car and you might as well spend some money on it as you saved a heap on buying it .
Old 27-12-2007, 11:36 PM   #13
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick_xd
I have a Ex- Taxi

Its a great cheap car and you might as well spend some money on it as you saved a heap on buying it .
And it's running some great times too. trick_xd is the Mesiah for getting a I6 to perform.
Old 28-12-2007, 01:42 AM   #14
stepto and son
Starter Motor

im told that after they get to 600,000kms, they most often get rebuilt. seeing as mine has 750,000kms, and no rattles,noises etc, there may be truth in that rumer.
the only major faults with mine is first gear in the auto has a 2 second delay to engage b4 moving the car when its cold, and the only other fault worth mentioning is the heater duct switch dosent work (blows air out the face vents, heater it self works thou.
the ex taxi shure is smoother to drive then the v8 hq tonner and the fj62 landcruiser
stepto and son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 06:23 PM   #15
Casablanca
carburettor

lol i dont think that this thread is going anywhere fast it just seems to be an excuse to rant about each others cars lol

you gotta love AFF
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-12-2007, 09:46 PM   #16
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Well if you look at it like I did 8 years ago when I got my car ....

I got it cheap ... it was crashed when it was just 10 mths old .

I got it and got all the parts from the wreckers to put it back together again... Kind of like Humpty Dumpty.

its a 97 model so Then even after painting it , it was still cheaper then getting one from a car yard.

So as I saved , I spent it else where ... Motor , trans , diff , and a new T.V.

back in 2000 a EL on gas was about 11 - 15k ... I put mine on the road compleat for less then 5K . (since then I have spent at least another 5K on it)

Yes mine is still Yellow .... But It is 1 of my favourite colors

I say if you can find a ex-taxi that the body is in good nick ... get it ... Running gear is cheap now days and if the body's good then it wont cost as much to get it painted any other color .
Old 31-12-2007, 03:48 AM   #17
renegade334

Yep, mines an ex-taxi, new engine, she's on LPG and is running better than BOTH my parents cars. Body isn't in the BEST condition, but a bit of TLC will take care of that.
renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2007, 04:22 AM   #18
Becker_11

Cool

Here in Perth the taxis (sedans, wagons) have a life span of 8yrs from compliance and the vans etc 10yrs.

EF's and EL's had their motors rebuilt at 800,000kms with the AU's I heard it stretched to 1,200,000kms. The oldest cab I've driven was just about to come off the road after it's 8yrs it was an EF sedan and it had 1.6 mill on it. Still drove well even with that many miles on it.

Actually I'm just about to look at another car and have been thinking about an ex taxi EF Fakcon both cause their cheap and cause I've been driving cabs for nearly 12yrs I know good people that can repair then at decent prices.
Becker_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2008, 03:33 PM   #19
Bobman
Regulator

I've owned an AU2 ex taxi, bought it in February, 2005. (It was only on the road as a cab from late 2001 - early 2004). It was so current in the taxi world that I actually managed to pick up passengers, without trying ;)

In Melbourne it is 6 years and 6 months. Disabled cabs get longer, could be 10 years from memory in Victoria. I recently saw an EF Disabled cab, but it could have been an EL with an EF front (making it at least a 97 or 98 model).

Had no issues with my ex cab. You can buy BA taxis now for $4000 if you look around.

It went from this:

To this (image courtesy of a fellow forum member - credit to him):

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)

Last edited by Bobman; 04-01-2008 at 03:38 PM.
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2008, 02:59 AM   #20
Becker_11

Thumbs up

Your cars a credit to you Bobman.

I'm slightly confused though. In Perth a 'disabled taxi' we call them MPT's (multi purpose taxi) is a van usually a Toyota HiAce Commuter fitted out with a hoist, restraints etc from what I understand in Victoria several people have mentioned sedans as 'disabled' taxis. Is this true and what makes them a 'disabled' taxi.
Becker_11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 01:47 PM   #21
Bobman
Regulator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Becker_11
Your cars a credit to you Bobman.

I'm slightly confused though. In Perth a 'disabled taxi' we call them MPT's (multi purpose taxi) is a van usually a Toyota HiAce Commuter fitted out with a hoist, restraints etc from what I understand in Victoria several people have mentioned sedans as 'disabled' taxis. Is this true and what makes them a 'disabled' taxi.
Thank you for the kind words.

The disabled cabs here are also Hiaces, etc. But we have Falcon station wagons. They are modified to have a raised roof and a hydraulic lift at the rear, for wheel chair bound passengers.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2008, 02:10 PM   #22
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

I have an AU series 1 ex-Taxi... and i hate it!

The only thing i can ever tell anyone is to be very very careful of buying one.

There are to many rip off merchants in this world right now, i got ripped off big time... if i knew it was an ex-taxi before purchase, i would have told him to jam it up his for that sort of money with so much wrong with it...

I am going to sell it in RWC with pink slip. Who ever buys it will now get a bargain because of all the work thats gone into it to make it RWC. Plus i want the money to go back into my XG ute project, as thats where i had to take the money to make is safe.
Old 28-09-2016, 01:07 AM   #23
XR6 Taxi
Starter Motor

Default Re: any ex-taxi owners on here?

My ex taxi build so far has been hard but it was worth it
XR6 Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-09-2016, 11:49 AM   #24
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Thread mine of the year so far I think, 8 1/2 years, well done.

Oh, welcome to the forums.

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-09-2016, 01:25 PM   #25
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wondering if there is an ex Taxi club? for those who enjoy the pleasures of vinyl seats, puke soaked carpet and using a seat a sweaty fat cabbie sat in for 500,000km.

Where do I sign up!!!
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-09-2016, 10:38 AM   #26
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Wondering if there is an ex Taxi club? for those who enjoy the pleasures of vinyl seats, puke soaked carpet and using a seat a sweaty fat cabbie sat in for 500,000km.

Where do I sign up!!!
Would still rather an Falcon ex taxi than a new Camry or Commodore . Sadly soon all ex taxi's will be Camries , and when decommissioned hopefully all go to sims metal and anyone would be mad to own an ex taxi Camry, a new one is bad enough.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #27
Qwerty321
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I own an ex-taxi Fairlane. Mind you it spent it's first half in the government VIP fleet, and the second half as a Corporate Cab doing the Auckland Airport run so it's been exceptionally well maintained during it's time and served the dignified suit and tie end of taxi users. The only signs I really have of it's past are the high mileage (420 thousand for a 2005 car) and the cut out hole from where the police antenna was when the car was in the government fleet.

To be honest I kinda like the fact I own one of the only Fairlane's in NZ which aren't currently taxis. Every single other one I've seen have been taxis and I've actually had a couple mechanics comment on that in the past. I've got big plans for the lane in terms of mods and look forward to seeing the faces of ricers in their souped up Hondas when they get chopped by a taxi

"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae
"Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall. Torque is how far you take the wall with you"
"Cheap, fast and reliable. Pick Two"

Qwerty321 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post