Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-06-2017, 12:30 AM   #1
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 
Default Re: The Camping Thread

Camper trailers have their place when camping in higher states . Due to distance and the availability of going over rough roads or ground . Lightweight as well . I didn't particularly like them . Till we went WA / NT etc ideal . The good campers are not cheap though !!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 11:40 AM   #2
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebxr8240 View Post
Camper trailers have their place when camping in higher states . Due to distance and the availability of going over rough roads or ground . Lightweight as well . I didn't particularly like them . Till we went WA / NT etc ideal . The good campers are not cheap though !!
We've got a Modcon FF1 Camper and love it... Given we don't do any hardcore off roading with it but its been fine with the 4WD we have done and on the beach... Ours was a tad over $20k though so not sure where that sits in the scheme if camper trailer pricing... Will have to pop some photo's up of the last trip... Its a really nice thing and all we have done since buying it was add a head of LED strip lighting and USB Chargers run off the Batteries/Solar

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 07:16 PM   #3
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Anyone got a Black Series Camper? Particularly a Patron model? What are your experiences with them in particular offroad or on corrugations?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 09:36 PM   #4
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Anyone got a Black Series Camper? Particularly a Patron model?
I am not sure about the new ones. The company used to be called GIC and their first lot of campers were cheap and nasty, nothing wrong with that though if you bought with your eyes open. The issue was the aftersales customer service was appalling and it attracted negative comments on the forums. Then GIC got their lawyers involved and sent threatening letters to the forum admins requesting any negative feedback be removed (but allowed positive feedback), as a result any talk of that camper brand was banned on a few forums.

AFAIK they are still the same owners, make of that what you will.
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2017, 01:21 PM   #5
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Anyone got a Black Series Camper? Particularly a Patron model? What are your experiences with them in particular offroad or on corrugations?
My daughter and son-in-law bought one about 12 months ago and to date they have had no issues, they bought the Alpha, I just spoke to him and he reckons value for money he is very happy
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 09:54 PM   #6
beardo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd been sussing out those Black Series aswell but they seem too cheap. Thanks for the heads up
beardo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #7
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

I have heard they have their lawyers on speed dial but from what I understand, they have made improvements to their campers like reinforcing the control arms on the suspension. However from reading on forums they are still a cheap Chinese camper and have quality issues like shock absorber failures from new.

I was hoping someone with first hand experience with an updated one might post their experience.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2017, 01:22 PM   #8
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have heard they have their lawyers on speed dial but from what I understand, they have made improvements to their campers like reinforcing the control arms on the suspension. However from reading on forums they are still a cheap Chinese camper and have quality issues like shock absorber failures from new.

I was hoping someone with first hand experience with an updated one might post their experience.
The vast majority of the bases of campers are made in China, there a few obvious that aren't but most are.
Old 14-06-2017, 05:54 PM   #9
nstg8a

What's a camper like that worth? WeVe been dithering about something like that or a tent style camper trailer.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2017, 08:36 AM   #10
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

another man after my own heart, primary focus is the next time to get away - LOL
Old 23-06-2017, 09:10 AM   #11
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever T View Post
another man after my own heart, primary focus is the next time to get away - LOL
crazy isn't it. no sooner home than looking at where to go next and things to keep you poor while doing it

it doesn't seem to matter how much you spend, there is always extra things that need doing, or things to make it better or easier....
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2017, 01:16 PM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lever T View Post
well, although we have booked another camp trip in October at Mambray Ck, there is school holidays between now and then, so....

2 weeks time I have booked another weekend at a place about an hour south of me.

3 nights at Wirrina Cove Holiday Park, which quite a popular caravan park, which ordinarily wouldn't suit me, but i discovered they offer a 'bush camping' option with power. Its slightly separate from the main park, in more of a bush environment, so i thought it sounded pretty good, so booked it.

Its a great part of SA (second valley) with some walk trails and great views and wildlife, so looking forward to getting out there again.

haha, this cheap camping is costing me a fortune
Old 23-06-2017, 09:16 AM   #13
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is so much of this country to see
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2017, 12:09 AM   #14
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Spent 6 months cruising or should I say zig zagging up WA coast .. it's a bloody big state .. Aust is hell larger !! Can't wait to get back out here .. Upgraded the solar panels and added another storage battery, 40 amp charger. We be able to stay out free camping for weeks now .. Even on cloudy days ..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #15
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What are you guys using for lighting with your camp set ups? One thing we probably struggled a little with was having a decent camp lantern at our disposal. I deliberately left our gas lantern at home as we were at a powered site and used a desk lamp instead. It was fine for outdoors, or use in the camper trailer, but not at both.

I guess I'm looking to see what sort of battery powered lanterns people use. I have an old Coleman one, but the fluro globe is basically stuffed and doesn't emit much light these days. Looking to probably invest in a replacement one at some stage and wondering what people find good to use?
Old 29-06-2017, 04:03 PM   #16
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Led strips work pretty well and don't draw much power.Would run for a few hours on a car size battery
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 04:04 PM   #17
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LED is your friend, the 1000-1200mm long ones are great and draw bugger all power, just remember that cheap doesn't always mean good
Old 29-06-2017, 04:05 PM   #18
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Treed LOL
Old 29-06-2017, 06:47 PM   #19
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gotta think tents and camper trailer here, so portable lighting is more what I'm after.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:30 PM   #20
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey View Post
Gotta think tents and camper trailer here, so portable lighting is more what I'm after.
Yeah, 12v LED portable lighting, like those kits they sell at BCF and Supercheap etc.
Or if you have a camper you can run strip lighting on the internal supports and seal them in clear heat shrink
Its just 4 or 5 rigid bars or strips with fittings and cables to connect it all to the source.

The source can be either a small genset or a portable battery pack like the Arkpak I have or a Thumpster etc. they all do the same thing pretty much.
The generator is ok if you don't frequent national parks as they are a no, no.
The battery pack is an all rounder, however extended stays will require some form of charging be it via your car or with a solar setup as I have.

Having said all that, I just use LED Dolphin torches , the slim ones, with rechargeable batteries, as we like to keep excess light to a minimum around the camp, the fire throws out enough light for most activities.

One day i'll get around to installing the strip lighting in my trailer.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2017, 07:42 PM   #21
prydey
Rob

Under our tent awning and now van awning i run a 50cm Korr led light strip. Korr products are available from autobarn/opposite lock and get pretty good reviews. They seem like a quality product. They cost a fair bit more than what is on ebay/4wd supacentre etc. In my opinion they are a good system. It can be either white or orange light at the click of a switch.

To power it and to charge devices i have a 18aH lithium battery/jump starter (called 'jump ya bastard'). The light draws 0.6amps so is good for about 20hours on that battery if you just use it for the light. On my last tent camping trip i bought another cheap power bank to keep phones charged and used the other just for the light.

I also have a 1000lumen lantern that i hang off a side pole. Then another 500 lumen one for in the tent. It's one that you can remove the top and hang it upside down from the roof and it gives a good light spread including straight down.

I then had little 100lumen ones for the bedrooms (called moji i think. Great little lights). Most of my lights are from snowys.

I opted for all battery power ones instead of rechargeable. Batteries are cheap and last quite a while. Most of ours lasted at least 2 camping trips. I grab bulk packs from Bunnings of the varta brand which say made in Germany.

Also handy is the cheap remote control ufo lights. Great for the kids.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:56 PM   #22
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Also handy is the cheap remote control ufo lights. Great for the kids.
I have 2 of these, they are worth the money, just put them in your tent, take the remote with you and when you stagger back a few hours later just push the button and home sweet home.
Old 30-06-2017, 08:33 AM   #23
Trevor 57
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I have one of these, really good
http://www.ironman4x4.com/products/c...ed-strip-light
Old 29-06-2017, 08:07 PM   #24
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone got a link for the remote UFO lights?
Rob, your 1000 lumen light? Is that LED?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
Old 29-06-2017, 08:22 PM   #25
prydey
Rob

I think i got the ufo ones from bcf as they didn't have ones with remote control at anaconda at the time and i think the ones at anaconda had a silly mount system where the ones at bcf just have one of those caribiner hooks so you can just hang them.

My 1000lumen lantern is led.
https://www.anacondastores.com/campi...n/p/BP90064268

Only reason i bought that one was it was on the cheap rack for $40 because the cover for the battery compartment was faulty.

Works good.
Old 29-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #26
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It throws light outwards pretty well then? I read a review that says that the led lanterns with the diodes on the bottom shining up don't throw that much light to the sides and most of it just goes straight up. Is that your experience as well?
That review says that either side facing or downward facing leds are better.

The ufo lights, something like this?
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Soluti...t-Light/299380

Last edited by sgt_doofey; 29-06-2017 at 08:33 PM.
sgt_doofey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2017, 12:37 AM   #27
prydey
Rob

Quote:
It throws light outwards pretty well then? I read a review that says that the led lanterns with the diodes on the bottom shining up don't throw that much light to the sides and most of it just goes straight up. Is that your experience as well?
post #185 i have a pic of the lights under my awning. the gas light on the right was just for nostalgic reasons. its a bit hard to judge based on the photo though, as the camera automatically adjusts the pic depending on the light. all i know is we were pretty happy with it. It has an inverted cone shaped reflector under the top, so definitely had a reasonable spread of light.

this is the other main light we had
https://www.snowys.com.au/frontier-camping-lantern-500

it has a hook in the bottom as well, so you can remove the top section, and hang it upside down. this is how we used it. its great as a light hanging from the centre of a room as it throws the light directly down as well as a reasonable spread. the middle room of our tent was 3m x 3m and it lit this up well.

Quote:
thats the ones, except because it was for the kids, i bought a pink one.

if you want, you can borrow my lanterns to see what you think. i don't use them anymore, although will probably keep them in the van just for back up.
Old 12-07-2017, 09:48 PM   #28
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Just came across this thread and saw your post. I've had these type of UFO lights and don't think much of them, Came across these on special at Getaway Outdoors for about $20, not remote control but better light distribution and re-chargeable via USB, much better than the UFO's -

http://oztrail.com.au/products/rechargeable-tent-light
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2017, 10:08 PM   #29
prydey
Rob

I have one of these which is very similar
https://www.snowys.com.au/moji-lantern

We had that in our room and the ufo for the kids.

We didn't have a lot of power so most of our lights are battery powered. Batteries are cheap.
Old 28-07-2017, 06:10 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Hi fellow campers, im currently spending 3 nights at Mambray Creek. The weather is perfect, 23 today and 26 tomorrow with an overnight low of mid teens, who said it was winter.
@ Prydey, im right across from the site you've booked in October, it is a good site with a communal fire pit right across the road which i just cooked curry beef massaman in. Ive taken some photos of the site if you're interested but wont be able to forward them till i get home Sunday.
So nice to be able to have an uninterrupted hot shower at midnight.