Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 26-06-2021, 11:26 PM   #1
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Loose ball bearing for bit holders

Sick of the band spring coming loose and losing the ball bearings that my tools use to hold hex bits and sockets etc. Usually just buy a new tool but I'm getting sick of the waste.

Does anyone know of someone that sells an assortment of loose ball bearings, like a box of them you can get like you can by assorted o rings, clips and fuses?
Right now I've got 2 different 1/4" hex bit tool holders that need 1/8" or 3mm bearings replaced, and a 3/8" socket hex bit holder that needs a 9/64" or 3.5mm bearing I think. No idea how to ascertain if the bearing is metric or imperial so I'd love a box/kit to cover me and for future use.

If not there's a uK shop I suppose I can get various sizes and make my own kit, apparently ebay lists a lot because cyclist like to build their own bearings with loose ones.
Best seller with complete range I found so far is in UK and on ebay https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/273679759496

Anyone know of local sources where I can pick and choose?
oldel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 09:03 AM   #2
vidak i

Default Re: Loose ball bearing for bit holders

Industrial bearing places will sell you all the balls you want. Not overly expensive either.
vidak i is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Just thinking out aloud.

A bearing is a pretty simple and solid item. Would replacing them actually make a difference?

What about the holder / housing or cradle that holds them in place? Perhaps that's the item that worn out and new bearings will make no difference to the problem you are trying to resolve.

Perhaps going 1 size bigger will take up the play but that's just delaying the inevitable replacement of the whole part.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-06-2021, 03:03 PM   #4
Peter B - CV8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bicycle shops used to be my "go to" for smaller ball bearings.
Peter B - CV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: