Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Default Woolworths fuel

Ok I don't know if this has been discussed before but is Woolies fuel poor quality, and is it the same fuel that Caltex gets as it supposed to be. I've encounted a few problems with Woolies fuel. Until just recently I had an 80 series cruiser with the 4.5 auto. And everytime I put the 98 vortex in her she would idle rough and run sluggish, as well as chew the fuel. But if I filled up at the BP with optimax she would straight away run fine. Same with the BA XR6 we had would idle a little rough and use more fuel and have less power.

I actually stop using Woolies fuel and started just using BP or Mobil and both cars ran fine ever since. My brother has just bought a boat with a 2003 yamaha 40hp on it. Ok we have taken it out a few time with no problem, anyway we decided to use the Woolies discount card and get some 91 octane from there. Anyway the boat ran like crap and was miss firing, we took it to a boat mechanic. Straight away he asked 'if we ran woolies fuel through it?'. And we said 'yes' then he said 'there's your problem, I'll have to pull apart your carbies and clean them out.'

So has anybody else had a problem with Woolies fuel? Please tell us and if not, tell us you haven't encountered any and which Woolies it was. Mine has always been Yamanto.

XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
raised by monkeys
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Woolworths fuel

not sure on the numbers or real quality, but same as you i found my car run crap, even on the premiuim petrol from woolies. Only use shell and BP premuims in my car now.

Current
SY FPV F6X Territory #214
Previous
FG MkII G6E Turbo built by Heinrichs Performance and Tuning
BFII FPV TORNADO #0021 351rwkw - Heinrich Performance and Tuning

"Milk is for babies. When you grow up you have to drink beer" - Arnold Schwarzenegger
raised by monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM   #3
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've never noticed any problems running caltex fuel (90% of stations in this area are caltex, so not much option). i usually get vortex 95 octane.
Old 10-01-2012, 11:16 AM   #4
grey_esp
Greys tuf too :-)

I reliably get 50km less to a tank on woolies fuel.
grey_esp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:42 AM   #5
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

When ever it comes to fuel, this spings to mind:

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
Ok I don't know if this has been discussed before but is Woolies fuel poor quality, and is it the same fuel that Caltex gets as it supposed to be. I've encounted a few problems with Woolies fuel. Until just recently I had an 80 series cruiser with the 4.5 auto. And everytime I put the 98 vortex in her she would idle rough and run sluggish, as well as chew the fuel. But if I filled up at the BP with optimax she would straight away run fine. Same with the BA XR6 we had would idle a little rough and use more fuel and have less power.

I actually stop using Woolies fuel and started just using BP or Mobil and both cars ran fine ever since. My brother has just bought a boat with a 2003 yamaha 40hp on it. Ok we have taken it out a few time with no problem, anyway we decided to use the Woolies discount card and get some 91 octane from there. Anyway the boat ran like crap and was miss firing, we took it to a boat mechanic. Straight away he asked 'if we ran woolies fuel through it?'. And we said 'yes' then he said 'there's your problem, I'll have to pull apart your carbies and clean them out.'

So has anybody else had a problem with Woolies fuel? Please tell us and if not, tell us you haven't encountered any and which Woolies it was. Mine has always been Yamanto.
If the fuel seems poor then of course you will use another site , some woolies sites are old and when bought the maintenance scheduals can suffer meaning the rubbish and water down the bottom might not get removed as it should so you get to burn it , low maintenance means more profit which on the surface is good :(
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #7
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle
i've never noticed any problems running caltex fuel (90% of stations in this area are caltex, so not much option). i usually get vortex 95 octane.
Are they Caltex only or are they Woolworth discount stores?
Old 10-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Have noticed recently that the diesel at Woolies is becoming worse. I have had to use diesel fuel cleaner twice in the last 5 fills so I'll be mentioning to the wife we may have to go elsewhere for fuel.

Reason I say this is cause on startup some morning the car will stall after 3 seconds and won't idle right until you give it a small rev.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid_Axe
Have noticed recently that the diesel at Woolies is becoming worse. I have had to use diesel fuel cleaner twice in the last 5 fills so I'll be mentioning to the wife we may have to go elsewhere for fuel.

Reason I say this is cause on startup some morning the car will stall after 3 seconds and won't idle right until you give it a small rev.
Thank for that Rapid Axe as we have traded in out two car and just bought a nissan navara. And I thought great now I can start using my discount card again because usually diesel is ok form any servo. So maybe Woolies has poor maintance procedures and there's alot of crap in the fuel. Like what was said by atec77.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:18 PM   #10
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Generally the one I go to has been pretty good until before Christmas. We have a Shell and a BP in our area too so might go there and see what difference if any happens.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
Andy777

I use the woolies caltex servo near my house, and I get about 30km more a tank then I do from the bp servo directly across the road which is strange, and I only ever use the 98 from both servos, there is also a shell servo and a 7/11 within 500m to 1km, I guess the competition might be a reason for the woolies servo to have decent fuel?
Andy777 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

same fuel but maybe a different cleaning regime.....we have a woolies fuel outlet here with a caltex just around the corner, seen the same truck empty into both depots on the same day

I reckon your outlet is contaminated

do what i do and support your local independent fuel distributor he'll still be supporting your kids soccer games when woolies whack there prices sky high when theres no opposition

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:21 PM   #13
Cúl-Báire

Quote:
So maybe Woolies has poor maintance procedures and there's alot of crap in the fuel. Like what was said by atec77.
Hit the nail on the head right there I believe!

I will use Wollies fuel in a pinch, but even from the newer Wollied branded servos the Vortex 95 and 98 I have had in the past causes issued with rough running, and a slight misfire (my Old VT SS was tuned to both 91, and 98 at different points).

The fuel comes from the same refineries and wholesalers no doubt, as to whether or not there any "additives" added to Wollies fuel who knows but I do think tank / pump maintenence is what could be the difference really.
Cúl-Báire is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 12:24 PM   #14
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I never get fuel from those supermarket outlets...I prefer to get it at a regular service station. I've also noticed that those United service stations aren't too good either.
Old 10-01-2012, 12:44 PM   #15
qdda5

I have used Woolies fuel for a few years now. This is in all the cars we have owned from standard to very modified cars. Ran either 95 or 98 and never had an issue. The issue must be isolated to various sites that maybe dont maintain the tanks correctly. Surely if it was a major concern with one site there would be more people raising concerns with the fuel.
qdda5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

I use Safeway fuel in the Ford. Wouldn't touch the diesel with a pole for my old cruiser. I also add in a splash of Moreleys Upper Cylinder Lubricant at each fill.

I have an iPhone app that records my consumption. I'll run Shell through it for a couple of times and see if I notice any difference on idling and consumption.

Don't even get me started on United Petrolium fuels...

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM   #17
BA-XT
2003 BA Falcon XT

Ummmm... Can a mod please delete a couple of my posts? iPhone...

Thankyou!

IMPCO LPG Vapour Injection.

DETAILING
Meguiar's NXT Car Wash
Collonite #845 Insulator Wax
Bowden's Own Happy Ending & Fully Slick
Chemtech CT-18 Truck Wash (Wheels & Chassis)
Bowden's Own Wheely Clean & Tyre Sheen
Bowden's Own Three Way Paint Decontamination Spray

OILS AND FILTERS
Nulon Full Synthetic 10w-40
Nulon Long Life Coolant
Ryco Oil & Air Filters

My Instagram Account: @ba_falcon2003
BA-XT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 01:25 PM   #18
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Can people mention the location there getting there woolies fuel from? Just it would be good to see where the good ones and the not so good ones are.
Old 10-01-2012, 01:26 PM   #19
LTDHO
The one and only

I pretty much only use Caltex (Woolies) no issues ever.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:02 PM   #20
Deaks

Theres three Woolies outlets around here (eastern burbs melbourne) and i have no issues with any of them. I use LPG and Petrol from them, in my ZD Fairlane (98) GU Patrol (91) and XR8 (98) and havent had an issue with any of them.

However i did get a really bad batch from Shell a few years back, ill never touch Shell again, not because of the one off bad fuel, but because of the dealings with the company afterwards.
Deaks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 02:11 PM   #21
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

When i had my XR8 I was exclusively using woolies/caltex Vortex 95 petrol. Never had an issue, reason i swapped to them was because I got caught up in the whole Mobil petrol water contamination thing a few years back. As soon as I started using the Woolies?Caltex petrol I never had an issue, good economy (when I allowed it! haha) and car ran perfectly. That was even using what ever servo i was closest to at the time.
JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #22
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Ive always used Vortex 98 in my ute with no issues. I started on it as I had the shopping dockets before I really took an interest in the cars inner workings.

I have the car serviced at a big Ford tuner here in Brisbane and on the 30k service told me the fuel filter needed changing as it was still the factory item. They also asked what fuel I used. The service techs told me straight away to change to BP ultimate. To prove their point they pulled out the fuel filter on a F6 also getting its 30k service although its filter was only 15k old. The left over fuel in my filter was much cleaner much to their surprise so I wont be changing.

The different brands may have better/worse fuels but if the servo dishing it up is not clean then it doesn't matter.

I use woolies at Mitchelton for nearly every fill.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #23
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Never had a problem with caltex E10...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #24
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Oops, you must mean BP Ultimate. Optimax used to be what Shell called their high-octane unleaded.

But I'm fully with you about your experiences with both fuels. BP Ultimate is the best quality 98 octane compared to all the premium fuels from smaller chains like the Woolworths stations. I haven't found any noticeable difference with newer cars, but with the older cars I've driven there is a real noticeable difference in how well the engine runs with different fuels in them.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #25
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Parents use Woolies fuel every single time, no issue as far as i hear.

I use independant outlets everywhere i go (when available), never had an issue with the diesel so far.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:00 PM   #26
GreenR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have noticed economy is worse when I use the local Woolworths Caltex. Most of the time go to a BP. I never thought I would be saying this but I actually do notice a difference to the car when on BP, also economy is better. I can never seem to get over 500-550km on Woolworths. But over 600km on BP is a regular occurrence.

I don't like to go to Woolworths Caltex's anyway as supporting them is another nail in the coffin for Aus.

Last edited by GreenR; 10-01-2012 at 09:17 PM.
GreenR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
4.0i_SiX
SiX_iN_a_RoW

I have noticed the same thing in my partners BA, however my Patrol doesnt seem effected by it. Belive it or not the BA runs smooth as silk and more k's to the tank on Matilda Fuel. Even Matilda's regular unleaded yields better results than woolies 98 in the BA
Old 10-01-2012, 09:40 PM   #28
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no issues from the north coast nsw Woolworths fuel stations
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #29
Linkachu
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people will do anything to save 4c a litre which on average is $2
Its a thing that sucked so many people in.
Linkachu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #30
burnz
VFII SS UTE

mobil fuel, allways been good. (7 eleven)

great diesel.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post