Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 13-02-2008, 08:10 AM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default Disaster

I'm too upset to talk about it.

But at 9.15am yesterday, whilst stopped at the lights in Elizabeth St, a cretin tried to put a 10ft wide truck through an 8ft gap. Pictures tell the story.

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 08:49 AM   #2
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve, as long as your alright! Thats the man thing. Sorry about the car. I don't know why people take risks and they just can't wait. What is going to happen your car now?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Damn. Along with Adam, glad you're OK. It's repairable hopefully.

Body coloured handles and strips now?!
Old 13-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #4
Uni

really sorry to hear (and see) that mate, really makes me angry. impatient pricks.

you've got his insurance details and so on i take it?

Uni/.
Uni is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #5
The Mighty Red

Ouch!........bad luck mate .....Will it be a right off or will it be repaired?
Old 13-02-2008, 10:43 AM   #6
GSR
Focus LT

Sorry to hear that. The main thing is that everyone is okay. Cars can be repaired or replaced.
Just hope the impatient tool will be able to cover the costs with his insurance. Its amazing how often idiots that cause accidents arent insured.
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:35 PM   #7
melbzetec

One of the smart ***** at work says he knows what really happenned.

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 13-02-2008, 12:54 PM   #8
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

So that was you!

Not good, im no panel beater but I have to say that doesnt look like an easy job to repair
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
BlackLS
yum

Sorry to hear see the damage Mr Melbzetec. Whats going to happen from here? Did the person do a runner?

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Nah mate, I know what really happened... after driving his wife and 2 boys home, all over 6 foot plus luggage, the police found only one way to get the boys out of the back after the accident.

Old 13-02-2008, 01:00 PM   #11
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Holy cow Batman.......

Go buy a lotto ticket- the back door looks like a can opener went through it-imagine if the i"jiot" kept going and got you!

I'm really sorry to hear of the accident, but you are a very lucky camper indeed.........

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 01:47 PM   #12
melbzetec

Thanks guys.

I got all the details from the guy (verified against his license).It was a company vehicle so we should be fine, plus I have names and addresses of witnesses

The insurance assessors don't look at it until Monday of next week.
I'm not sure what they'll do. In many ways (despite all the work I've put into it) I hope they'll write it off, coz I'm not sure it will ever be the same if repaired.

Whilst all of my mods are listed with the insurance company, I am thinking of swapping out lights intakes wipers and reinstalling OEM parts etc just in case they do write it off. Then if I decide to get another LR I can bring it back to the same spec. Can i do that, or will the insurance company crack it?

Old 13-02-2008, 01:56 PM   #13
zetec
Zoom Zoom

You might as well give them a call. You may be able to negotiate taking most of the mods off for a reduced return if its written off.
Old 13-02-2008, 01:57 PM   #14
Go baby Go
Like no other..........

Do you have salvage rights? If so, the you could buy it back and sell / keep as spares stuff off it.

Lights they wouldn't care, but if you go changing intakes, wheels and stuff, then they could crack it and refuse your claim based on the items that aren't listed......

A recent study found the average Australian walks about 900 miles a year.
Another study found Australians drink, on average, 22 gallons of alcohol a year.
That means, on average, Australians get about 41 miles to the gallon.

Kind of makes you proud to be an aussie.
Go baby Go is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-02-2008, 02:30 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Steve, I am sincerely sorry for what's happened to your pride and joy. This is the type of accident I just hope only happens once in a lifetime. Hope your nerves are holding out as often the shock of something like this is bad enough.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 12:02 AM   #16
Rhubarb

Thats a scarey and infuriating thing to happen to anyone but I've no doubt its even worse for you given the time, energy and money you have put into your car over the years.

I hope the insurance company doesn't side swipe you as well.

Best of luck - let us know how you go.
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 04:37 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

OMG! WTF!!!!>>>> NOO!!!!! DUDE!!!! this aint good at all.. firstly adam gets a small crack on the front of his car, then this goes an happens to you.. WTF!!! next thing i know is mine withh blow up!!!

honestly i hope they dont write it off, as much as you would like that. That thing is just the best peice of car EVER!!!!....nothing will ever be the same, nor will anything live up to it. im not sure, but i doubt you will ever respect the next one as much as the first one. i know that deep inside when i lost the black panther nothing could replace how it made me felt and how much i loved it. though i do love the Silver Bullit, it jsut doesnt compare to the Black Panther and the car i loved so deer and so much..

im honselt crying right now.. this isnt good......

i know your alright steve.. but im just in shock.

Last edited by fordel; 21-02-2008 at 05:35 PM. Reason: to many !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'s
photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #18
Turbodiesel
Torquer

Man that sucks big time, crap like that always happens to people who love their cars and never to the people with the old rusty bombs :(
Turbodiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 03:30 PM   #19
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve whats the news on your car? Has Godzilla been put down? Can openers been taken away from the draw and binned?

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 06:35 PM   #20
melbzetec

At 4.48pm

$6500 repairs. (including $4500 parts)

Finished March 10. 3 weeks!!!!!

Replacing rear door, rear quarter panel, rear bumper, rear bodykit valance (like to see them find one), but repairing front door (not happy and have said so and told them it better be right)

Yet to review "unseen damage" which may add further costs

It will never be the same again.

No hope of write off. Insured for $19,000.

Old 18-02-2008, 07:06 PM   #21
zetec jim
04 fiesta zetec

just read this post, coming in a little late, but i'm sorry to see that car of yours like that, i've only met you once @ small ford day but i could tell that car was special to you + all the time effort put into making it so unique. glad to hear you're ok, my mate had the same thing happen to him... but no where near as bad as that. a#*hole people should be made to pay out of they're wallet...
zetec jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 07:23 PM   #22
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Time to cut your loses and start saving for a new whip perhaps mate?.

it's always heartbreaking when you have to part ways with your pride and joy in this way.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-02-2008, 07:37 PM   #23
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Mate rear skirts are still readily stocked and available from any Ford Dealer.

It's the entire kits that were discontinued, although there's still a handful of 5 door kits still available. Individual components are availalbe.
Old 18-02-2008, 08:04 PM   #24
Ridin-High

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
At 4.48pm

$6500 repairs. (including $4500 parts)

Finished March 10. 3 weeks!!!!!

Replacing rear door, rear quarter panel, rear bumper, rear bodykit valance (like to see them find one), but repairing front door (not happy and have said so and told them it better be right)

Yet to review "unseen damage" which may add further costs

It will never be the same again.

No hope of write off. Insured for $19,000.

G'day melbzetec,

no need to be upset about it not being written off, modern smash repair places can do some amazing work (depending on who you use) my mate had his 2006 wrx (3 months old at the time) rear ended by a truck, insured value $41,000. Repair bill came to approx $14,500. Repair time was about 2.5-3 months from memory, but it came out looking better then new.

Just make sure you are dealing with a well known company you can trust

Ps. Yes i have used the search button mum....
Ridin-High is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 11:18 AM   #25
GSR
Focus LT

Yeah I agree, I wouldnt worry too much about it not being written off. It looks like its mostly panel work and nothing too serious. Many panel beaters do pretty good work, make sure you sus them out and have a say in who will do the repair if you can. Hopefully when you get it back it will be better than new. The key to the whole thing is for them to do it right the first time. All too often when you have to take it back to get something fixed, they usually break or damage something else. :
Dont forget to get the insurance company to do the paint protection as well if you had any.
Old 19-02-2008, 11:37 AM   #26
melbzetec

I'm with AAMI.

Whilst I can't pick the repairer, I did request it NOT be done by Jefferson Ford, as they did the last repair and I had to go back 3 times, and they really didn't care. The sort of "What's your problem now? I'm not making any money out of this mate!" attitude.

AAMI was happy with that request and have sent me to an outfit in Clayton. I intend to go down and visit them.

But I appreciate your feedback GSR and Ridin-high. It has given me a lot more confidence.(and appreciate everyone elses feedback as well)

I just need to think about it as a restoration rather than a repair!!!

Old 19-02-2008, 01:31 PM   #27
BrisVegas
Noobie

sorry to hear mate. hope it's back on the road soon. Did AAMI help out at all with a rental car while yours is off the road? I'm with AAMI too and am paying a little extra insurance for the rental car option. Hopefully you're not out of pocket at all given that none of this is your fault.
LS Focus Zetec 5dr - gone
WS Fiesta Zetec 5dr - gone
BrisVegas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 03:45 PM   #28
melbzetec

I just rang them.

And yes, I did tick the rental car box.

Just $15 a day for 10 days.

But don't laugh............they'll give me a Camry!

My staff are rolling on the floor already imagining me in a Camry.

I'm off to buy a cardigan.

Old 19-02-2008, 05:21 PM   #29
GSR
Focus LT

One thing I just remembered, for the car rental, send the bill to the person that did the damage or his insurance company, you never know you may be able to get something out of them to cover your out of pocket costs. After all theyre the ones that caused you to have to hire the car in the first place.
See what AAMI think about it or put it in as part of your claim.....I dunno if can you do that?.
Camry...well at least youll experience that "oh what a feeling"
Old 19-02-2008, 11:32 PM   #30
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

i think you should also ask them for compensation for having to drive a camry.

I hate insurance companies. i'm sure that's some bastards idea of a joke, making you drive one of them.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post