Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 26-03-2008, 11:10 PM   #61
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Expecting to have the car back this Friday.

I wangled it so he could have extra days to finish it and do I good job (Insurance company wants the car in and out...panel beater prefers to do the job right). Told Insurance company he is doing some private work for me..which he is

I did the guy a deal. I am buying the protective mouldings for the undamaged side of the car and front bumper (about $150 trade) and he is going to colour code all the protective mouldings at no cost.

Looking forward to handing the Jazz back!!...although I must say it is not a bad little jigger. 1.5 litre engine. If you use the revs (redline about 7500) the thing gets up and goes...Honda's are meant to be driven hard!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-03-2008, 11:35 PM   #62
RJO89
EuroFordClub

That's good to hear mate.
I don't think I'd be able to take a Honda Jazz revving at 7500 seriously . Especially if it had all that purple paint and cats all over it
:

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #63
zetec
Zoom Zoom

That's a good way of saying that it's gutless and has less torque than a kid's fisher price plastic wrench.

I had a rental Yaris once. It was the last time too. Never again. Even at 115,000rpm it still had less torque than my 2.0 Focus had at idle. Pathetic is being superfluously generous.

Last edited by zetec; 27-03-2008 at 12:28 AM.
zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2008, 01:05 AM   #64
melbzetec

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
That's a good way of saying that it's gutless and has less torque than a kid's fisher price plastic wrench.

I had a rental Yaris once. It was the last time too. Never again. Even at 115,000rpm it still had less torque than my 2.0 Focus had at idle. Pathetic is being superfluously generous.

Now now Matt.

Settle.

Let the facts speak for themselves

Jazz VTi-S 1.5 litre 81kw@6000rpm 143nm@4800rpm weight 1040kg
Fiesta Zetec 1.6 litre 74kw@6000rpm 146nm@4000pm weight 1064kg

mmmmmmmm.
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.

Old 27-03-2008, 02:15 AM   #65
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Fiesta XR4 2.0 litre 110kw@6000rpm 190nM@4500rpm weight 1090kg

:
Old 27-03-2008, 02:20 AM   #66
zetec
Zoom Zoom

vs

:
Old 27-03-2008, 08:19 PM   #67
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Now now Matt.

Settle.

Let the facts speak for themselves

Jazz VTi-S 1.5 litre 81kw@6000rpm 143nm@4800rpm weight 1040kg
Fiesta Zetec 1.6 litre 74kw@6000rpm 146nm@4000pm weight 1064kg

mmmmmmmm.

OH NO!!!!, HE'S BEING TEMPTED THE DARK SIDE!!.
DON'T BE FOOLED BY ATTRACTIVE GLOW OF OVER POLISHED FIGURES STEVE.

RUN!, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2008, 12:13 AM   #68
melbzetec

Old 14-04-2008, 04:07 PM   #69
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Surely you must have the car back by now Steve. How's it go? Good as before?

Old 14-04-2008, 04:24 PM   #70
GSR
Focus LT

Alas I think he has betrayed the brotherhood and decided to keep the little cutie pie jazz :
GSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #71
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Old 14-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #72
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Ok, i just read this thread. I had no idea! No one even mentioned it!!!! Anyway, i saw the pics and literally had a heart attack...

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 05:44 PM   #73
Tj-zetec

A had a slight preview of your pain this weekend Steve.

Don't panic, my car's fine. It's my girlfriend's corolla that's getting work done and the panel beaters she went through have given her a courtesy car.
A mid 90's purpley-blue honda civic...

I had to be seen in the city this weekend in a bloody Honda.

You have my most sincere sympathies mate.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Old 14-04-2008, 07:05 PM   #74
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Any updates on this car steve?

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #75
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I just said to George that "Every cloud has a silver lining". I didn't realise that this meant literally on your car Steve!!!!!
Old 15-04-2008, 10:44 PM   #76
melbzetec

Just returned the car to AAMI.

1. Hole ripped in vinyl in door trim ("Wasn't us" said the panel beater.) AAMI are replacing
2. Section of passenger side body kit cracked ("Wasn't us" said the panel beater) AAMI are repairing or replacing
3. Suspension is not right. Steering wheel off centre, steering vague when driving straight, back end moves around, and twitches, and kicks to the right when you go over any undulations. Getting a mechanical engineer to inspect. AAMI will fix

Good news is the panel repair seems good, and the colour coding cost me nothing! He painted the existing (and new) bump strips for nix, mainly because I had to wait so long and didn't give him a hassle.

Will post pics when I get it back

Old 15-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #77
GSR
Focus LT

Quote:
Just returned the car to AAMI.

1. Hole ripped in vinyl in door trim ("Wasn't us" said the panel beater.) AAMI are replacing
2. Section of passenger side body kit cracked ("Wasn't us" said the panel beater) AAMI are repairing or replacing
3. Suspension is not right. Steering wheel off centre, steering vague when driving straight, back end moves around, and twitches, and kicks to the right when you go over any undulations. Getting a mechanical engineer to inspect. AAMI will fix

Good news is the panel repair seems good, and the colour coding cost me nothing! He painted the existing (and new) bump strips for nix, mainly because I had to wait so long and didn't give him a hassle.

Will post pics when I get it back
Typical panel beaters, its never them...its obviously the tooth fairy...
stupid twits
At least the insurer looks like taking care of it.
Hopefully the panel wreckers wont break something else while fixing it.
Old 16-04-2008, 07:07 PM   #78
melbzetec

Bent rear driver-side control arm, and warped passenger-side rear wheel.

And I wonder why the rear of the car felt jittery!!!

Another week in repairs.

Now driving a Corolla Ascent sedan!! Yuk.

It will be bloody good when it's finished.

Old 18-04-2008, 07:39 PM   #79
Tj-zetec

How hard did that truck hit you? i thought it'd just be panel damage.

So are they going to try and replace the warped wheel with another the same or does this mean you'll be getting some "after market" rims?.

After driving that honda for so long i wouldn't be at all surprised if you went and bought yourself a set of 20" chromies. :

Old 18-04-2008, 08:10 PM   #80
melbzetec

No TJ they have replaced the rear control arm, and have replaced the wheel. They repair the passenger side body moulding on Monday, should have it back Tuesday.

I must say AAMI have been pretty good. Haven't tried to stuff me around. Where I've told them something isn't right, they have attended to it straight away with no arguments

Can't wait to get her back! She drives brilliantly during the crisp cold mornings Melbourne is starting to get. (It was only 1 degree celsius when I took her back to AAMI this week....engine was humming)

Old 18-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #81
GSR
Focus LT

Quote:
Can't wait to get her back! She drives brilliantly during the crisp cold mornings Melbourne is starting to get. (It was only 1 degree celsius when I took her back to AAMI this week....engine was humming)
Ahh Yes.....memories, those crisp cold mornings and cold frosty nights affectionately known as "good turbo weather". 2BAR boost, methanol injection the red glow on the road under the car. FANTASTIC.
Old 19-04-2008, 11:19 AM   #82
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR
Ahh Yes.....memories, those crisp cold mornings and cold frosty nights affectionately known as "good turbo weather". 2BAR boost, methanol injection the red glow on the road under the car. FANTASTIC.
ROFL.....

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2008, 03:05 PM   #83
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSR
Typical panel beaters, its never them...its obviously the tooth fairy...
stupid twits
At least the insurer looks like taking care of it.
Hopefully the panel wreckers wont break something else while fixing it.
My son works for AAMI as a accessor but before that he worked as a panel beater and managed a shop. The problem is they cannot get enough good panel beaters so sometimes have to put up with tradesmen that are unreliable or don't have enough care in their workmanship.
Also in one shop he worked they put on 5 apprentice beaters and spray painters in 2 years and guess how many stayed in the trade NONE. Its easyier to work in a retail shop or warehouse getting the same or more dollars. It just finding a shop that has good beaters and spray painters that take pride in their work.

But also there are whingers that treat their car like a toilet inside and rarely wash the car or maintain it correctly all of a sudden became scientists on the mechanics and bodywork of automobiles and complain about every aspect of the repair work
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 09:51 PM   #84
Rhubarb

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
My son works for AAMI as a accessor ....

Just didn't look right so I checked the spelling ....

ac·ces·so·ry (āk-sěs'ə-rē)

n. pl. ac·ces·so·ries

1. a) A subordinate or supplementary item; an adjunct.
b) Something nonessential but desirable that contributes to an effect or result. See Synonyms at appendage.
c) One who incites, aids, or abets a lawbreaker in the commission of a crime but is not present at the time of the crime. Also called accessory before the fact.
d) One who aids a criminal after the commission of a crime, but was not present at the time of the crime. Also called accessory after the fact.
2. Law
a) One who incites, aids, or abets a lawbreaker in the commission of a crime but is not present at the time of the crime. Also called accessory before the fact.
b) One who aids a criminal after the commission of a crime, but was not present at the time of the crime. Also called accessory after the fact.

So which one is your son ????? Was it a fraudian slip or are you gonna claim a typo???

Sorry I couldn't resist - the definitions are actually quite funny given its your son
Rhubarb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #85
zetec
Zoom Zoom

assessor is correct...
Old 22-04-2008, 08:07 AM   #86
rocketxr

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
My son works for AAMI as a accessor but before that he worked as a panel beater and managed a shop. The problem is they cannot get enough good panel beaters so sometimes have to put up with tradesmen that are unreliable or don't have enough care in their workmanship.
Also in one shop he worked they put on 5 apprentice beaters and spray painters in 2 years and guess how many stayed in the trade NONE. Its easyier to work in a retail shop or warehouse getting the same or more dollars. It just finding a shop that has good beaters and spray painters that take pride in their work.

But also there are whingers that treat their car like a toilet inside and rarely wash the car or maintain it correctly all of a sudden became scientists on the mechanics and bodywork of automobiles and complain about every aspect of the repair work
A few years ago (actually QUITE a few years ago....), I had an RS2000 that got rear ended and pushed into another car. The repairs were OK but they put the Rally Pack decals on the car, not the original RS2000 decals. When I complained that they were wrong, I overhead the bossman say "whinging pr1ck, wants everything done properly!!!"....
Sort of sums up peoples views on the crash repair industry!
rocketxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #87
Tj-zetec

Yeah, how dare you want your car repaired properly!, I mean the nerve of some people.

Old 05-05-2008, 04:50 PM   #88
Colesboy
Starter Motor

sheesh melbzetec - you were lucky. I was sitting in the passengers side of a light truck with a dropside tray that did a similar thing to a BA Falcon (which was parked on the side of the road) a few years ago and that opened the car like a big can opener (you could see the insides of the car) from the right rear taillight to the front door and ripped of the drivers side mirror as well. Another centimeter or 2 to the left and I would have been in hospital. It only happened because the guy in the right lane failed to let us merge lanes by maintining the same speed as us and the driver in truck was an idiot anyway. - the end result was my company paid for the falcon to be fixed a the smash repairer that was 100m from the scene of the accident and our driver got a written warning. I glad you and your family were not hurt!
Colesboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 01:40 PM   #89
FOCUSonTHIS
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Steve have you got your car back yet? Can we also see pictures of it too? Clean of course!

2002 AUIII XR6
1995 EF Falcon XR6
2003 LR Focus Zetec
1989 KE Laser TX3
FOCUSonTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #90
melbzetec

Adam, back to the assessors tomorrow to sort out suspension (with different repairer)

Trip one: "Wheel alignment is perfect mate"
Car drove like crap
Subsequently found (and replaced) bent rear control arm and warped wheel

Trip two: "She's spot on now mate"
Car drive like bigger crap
I replaced rear tyres.
Tyre guy found bent front tie rod, and bushings squashed and rubbing on new control arm. (Tie rod replaced. Bushes to be investigated)

Trip three: Tomorrow. Different repairer. Finally a qualified mechanical assessor to review from insurance company. We'll see how we go.

I just want my car back and running perfectly!! (also found some dodgy panel work today. AAAAARGH!!!

Plus I've got a few goodies on order i want to get on with!!!!!