Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 23-09-2020, 11:56 AM   #6601
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

30 new cases for Australia and 3 deaths so the CMR rises to 3.170% while active cases drop to 1,870. NSW recorded 2 cases and Queensland recorded 3 with the balance in Victoria. The Victorian State 14 day moving average is now 36.71 with metro at 29.4 (41 unknown) and regional at 1.1 and no unknown cases.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.377% and active cases fall to 61.

The UK had 4,926 new cases yesterday, the highest since early May. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore those figures.

Just under 53k new cases in the USA yesterday and 384 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.8962% and active cases drop to 36.2% with the raw numbers rising. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
North America passes 300k deaths;
The USA completes 99M and
India 65M tests;

The Netherlands (2,245) and Spain (10,799) both recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 23-09-2020, 12:32 PM   #6602
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus
Wrong, once again......how many flu fatalities last year? The rate of either causes of death (flu or Covid) is insignificant to the total number of deaths that occur everyday. Which is not to take away from each death which is sad.

Where's the focus on the impact of suicides which take a lot more lives than this virus.
And? So what if the number of deaths from COVID-19 (or flu) is a small number (note I did not use the word 'insignificant'? That's deliberate). Does that mean we just pretend like it doesn't exist and just focus on the largest contributor?

What's the takeaway you want us to have from your comments?

My post was simply to indicate the magnitude of the impact that this particular virus is having. Nothing more. Nothing less.

I do agree with you tho that there should be more focus on suicide prevention. Mental health advocacy has been slow to take off, but it is gaining momentum. We just had a presentation through our work from Wayne Schwass (ex North Melbourne and Sydney Swans AFL player) and his Puka Up Foundation. That sort of thing was unheard of as little as 5 years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool
Quote:
“The number of dead in the US is equivalent to a 9/11 attack every day for 67 days. And it is still climbing.”

That quote to me, is where the bloody world is at now with media sensationalist hype!
67 times 9/11?.... Really, is there any need for such an obscure comparison?
Feckin pathetic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
True.
But, it does make you think of the response (or excuse) post the 9/11 attacks. In comparison, we have a situation in the US (and around the world for that matter) that is far worse, [edited]
I agree with Tickford here, Charlie, I didn't see it as sensationalising the story, more so putting it into context for an audience that clearly were traumatised and motivated by a terrible event that resulted in a significant response from the country. But I can also see where you're coming from, too.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
This user likes this post:
Old 23-09-2020, 06:36 PM   #6603
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old 23-09-2020, 08:26 PM   #6604
nstg8a

Personally I think the stimulus is holding the economy back. (Apart from victoristan, it’s still very much needed there.

At my job we can’t get workers, I know others are having the same issue, nearly every day I have employment agencies ringing me trying to get me to work even though they know I’m in full time employment now.

People are preferring to sit at home on jobkeeper/seeker because they’re earning enough money that it’s not worth them going to work five days a week for an extra $1-200 a week.
With the weather warming up it’s even more enticing to stay on the govts tit.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:08 PM   #6605
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Thumbs up Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
If the UV light method doesn't work for you CoupeKing, you could try the following method - which was only just recently released by world leading COVID-19 researchers. This method is yet to be approved by the FDA and the WHO, but that hasn't stopped some people, and it shouldn't stop you from giving it a go if you must.

Researchers have released a set of instructions that is said to 100% eliminate the virus within a 6-8 hour period, and also with a 100% guarantee of NO long lasting side effects. This is absolutely fantastic news.

The study indicates that someone who has tested positive should consume 2 litres of very salty water within a 10 minute period. Following this, you must enter an Infrared Sauna immediately (not sure why it specifies an infrared sauna... but hey who am I to argue). Continue to stay inside the sauna for a period of 6-8 hours, and by yourself, as the vapour being expelled from your body contains high traces of COVID-19, and is contagious. Best practice would be to leave a note on the outside of the sauna with instructions stating that no one is to enter until **:**am/pm.

After a period of 6-8 hours inside the sauna, you will have 100% eliminated all traces of the COVID virus, and any side effects. As per the note you left outside the sauna, someone will most likely enter the sauna after the indicated time, and recover your now COVID-19 free self.

This is great news indeed. I was sent this information on FB, through a mate of a mate who works in a medical microbiology lab, and I have no reason to doubt it's validity.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:16 PM   #6606
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Personally I think the stimulus is holding the economy back. (Apart from victoristan, it’s still very much needed there.

At my job we can’t get workers, I know others are having the same issue, nearly every day I have employment agencies ringing me trying to get me to work even though they know I’m in full time employment now.

People are preferring to sit at home on jobkeeper/seeker because they’re earning enough money that it’s not worth them going to work five days a week for an extra $1-200 a week.
With the weather warming up it’s even more enticing to stay on the govts tit.
The reason agencies keep ringing is because they get a pretty handy fee for every job placement.They ring you because you must be on their list,so a very easy heap of money,doesn’t matter that you already have work they still get their fee just by ringing you.
Old 23-09-2020, 09:19 PM   #6607
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
The reason agencies keep ringing is because they get a pretty handy fee for every job placement.They ring you because you must be on their list,so a very easy heap of money,doesn’t matter that you already have work they still get their fee just by ringing you.

Normally I’d agree, but having spoken to the, these guys are desperate. It’s just stupidly hard to get workers at the moment. As I said, we have the same problem at work.
Old 23-09-2020, 10:48 PM   #6608
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The US govt last week updated the survival rates (i.e., IF infected) for Covid19:

0-19 99.997%
20-49 99.98%
50-69 99.5%
70+ 94.6%

Didn't see it reported much.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...scenarios.html

*from Adam Creighton.
Old 24-09-2020, 04:25 AM   #6609
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems some are perhaps overly focused on the survival rate and ignoring things such as impact on the health system currently, as well as if the virus was left unchecked.
Old 24-09-2020, 05:57 AM   #6610
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some approx figures from crunching some US numbers from CDC,
Comparing the first 37 weeks of this year to 2018 (a high flu year)

Deaths Attrib to Flu/Pnemonia (Incl Covid-19)
2020 211,597
2018 143,882
'excess' 67,715

Total Deaths
2020 2,202,027
2018 2,021,634

'excess' 180,393

[opinion]

It is harsh, but one could say that about 70% of Covid Deaths would have died anyway.
also that there was an unexplained increase in death in the order of about 5% - could this be the 'lockdown' effect, or an increase in violent crimes due to riots ?

[/opinion]
Old 24-09-2020, 06:03 AM   #6611
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
It seems some are perhaps overly focused on the survival rate and ignoring things such as impact on the health system currently, as well as if the virus was left unchecked.
So far India has lost almost 400 doctors to the virus; while most were elderly the youngest was 27. I can' find figures for the deaths of other health workers. India's health system is underfunded and short of doctors under normal circumstances. As infections increase less people will be able to access care and the survival rate will drop.
Old 24-09-2020, 06:10 AM   #6612
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
Some approx figures from crunching some US numbers from CDC,
Comparing the first 37 weeks of this year to 2018 (a high flu year)
So what does it look like when compared to a low flu year?
Old 24-09-2020, 08:20 AM   #6613
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
1. Those people dismissing the virus are not in the age group were they are at risk
2. Those in the age group at risk are not members of AFF
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-09-2020, 08:46 AM   #6614
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
1. Those people dismissing the virus are not in the age group were they are at risk
3. or suffer other ailments which Covid could severely effect such as Asthma. (like myself)

Old 24-09-2020, 09:55 AM   #6615
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4. Not afraid of a virus.
5. Have a functioning immune system not destroyed by pharmaceuticals.
6. Not believing the hype peddled by the government and it's media puppets.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #6616
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
wrong with point 2
Old 24-09-2020, 10:00 AM   #6617
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
4. Not afraid of a virus.
5. Have a functioning immune system not destroyed by pharmaceuticals.
6. Not believing the hype peddled by the government and it's media puppets.
I have to say your 2nd point is very selfish, you may have a great immune system but 4 of the 7 females in my direct family (wife, daughters, grand-daughters) all are on medications for a couple of different things and they all reduce their immune systems, 3 substantially, all under 40 years of age.

So your words ring a bit of '**** you Jack, I am OK' and typical of the generation that was one of the main spreaders in the latest Victorian outbreak
Old 24-09-2020, 10:15 AM   #6618
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I have to say your 2nd point is very selfish, you may have a great immune system but 4 of the 7 females in my direct family (wife, daughters, grand-daughters) all are on medications for a couple of different things and they all reduce their immune systems, 3 substantially, all under 40 years of age.

So your words ring a bit of '**** you Jack, I am OK' and typical of the generation that was one of the main spreaders in the latest Victorian outbreak
To the contrary, where did I say I didn't care about others? I care about those who've;
  • the elderly and those at risk
  • lost their incomes
  • livelihoods
  • family members due to suicide
  • the upcoming housing crash
  • economic ruin the country is going to face

What Im not accepting of is those who think I'm responsible for their health. A bit like thinking the government is responsible for looking after my health. Wrong. The government at all levels has demonstrated a gross incompetence in 'looking after health'. This is indicated by the poor health of the population in general, with 40% of Victorians having comorbidities according to Vic Health. The government doesn't decide what's good for me, that's my job as an adult.

It's the governments job to protect borders, fund the military, Police, teachers, nurses etc and protect our civil liberties. It's my job to look after my health.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #6619
PhilT2

Quote:

Many drugs can be immunosuppressive; hydroxychloroquine for example.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5795753/
Old 24-09-2020, 10:21 AM   #6620
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
wrong with point 2
OK so you and Cav.

Clearly there are older/wiser people on AFF, but as a general comment is would be pretty accurate.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 24-09-2020, 10:49 AM   #6621
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

32 new cases for Australia and 5 deaths so the CMR rises to 3.185% while active cases drop to 1,699. NSW recorded 6 cases, WA 3, SA recorded 1 with the balance in Victoria. The Victorian State 14 day moving average is now 32.36 with metro at 26.7 (37 unknown) and regional at 1.1 and no unknown cases.

9 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.371% and active cases rise to 62.

The UK had 6,178 new cases yesterday, the highest since April 10th and they must be getting close to a 2nd lockdown. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore those figures.

Just over 35.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 979 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.895% and active cases drop to 35.9% with the raw numbers falling slightly. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Europe recorded a new daily cases high of 51,527;
Global cases pass 32M, the last 1M taking only 3 days again;
The USA completes 100M, India 66M, Brazil 17M and Indonesia 3M
tests;

Moldova (786), United Arab Emirates (1,083), Tunisia (1,219), Netherlands (2,357), Indonesia (4,465), Iraq (5,055), Spain (11,289) and Israel (11,316) all recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 24-09-2020, 10:53 AM   #6622
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

I wonder how Israel managed to stuff things up so bad? Unusual for them. They're usually on top of everything and ahead of the game.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-09-2020, 11:03 AM   #6623
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
and 3 of the 4 in my family take that, plus a cocktail of other immune suppresants
Old 24-09-2020, 11:04 AM   #6624
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I wonder how Israel managed to stuff things up so bad? Unusual for them. They're usually on top of everything and ahead of the game.
they thought it was 'just a flu' and 'herd immunity' is the way to go, and they are aren't the only ones, ScoMo was going down that path until he got pulled up, Trump is a believer in that theory, Johnson was too until he go it. Italy and Sweden subscribed to that theory as well
Old 24-09-2020, 11:08 AM   #6625
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
To the contrary, where did I say I didn't care about others? I care about those who've;
  • the elderly and those at risk
  • lost their incomes
  • livelihoods
  • family members due to suicide
  • the upcoming housing crash
  • economic ruin the country is going to face
the suicide thing is a bit of a Furphy, the suicide numbers have NOT increased as a result of the COVID, however people calling help lines is definitely up
Old 24-09-2020, 11:10 AM   #6626
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Are you implying that HCQ could make someone more vulnerable to contracting Covid 19?

There are currently government backed studies in this country using HCQ in high risk environments such as hospitals and nursing homes to prevent contraction your implication if I’m reading that right is irresponsible to feed even more unsubstantiated fear about this medication.
Old 24-09-2020, 11:17 AM   #6627
Trevor 57
is now there

it most certainly does, my family members have been warned by their specialists about it

https://www.rheumatology.org/I-Am-A/...uine-Plaquenil

read the first paragraph
Quote:
It is believed that hydroxychloroquine interferes with the communication of cells in the immune system.
Old 24-09-2020, 11:21 AM   #6628
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
it most certainly does, my family members have been warned by their specialists about it
Edit: I now see you were confirming the immunosuppressive element.

It will be interesting to see the results of the Shield Trial study underway early next year in regards to HCQ use in high risk environments based on what your family has been told.

Last edited by FPV8U; 24-09-2020 at 11:38 AM.
Old 24-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #6629
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The government at all levels has demonstrated a gross incompetence in 'looking after health'. This is indicated by the poor health of the population in general, with 40% of Victorians having comorbidities according to Vic Health.
Again, many of these comorbidities can't be controlled and aren't the result of poor diet or lifestyle.

You are very contradictory in many of your statements. You clearly mean well but what you type certainly can be taken that you only care about yourself.
Old 24-09-2020, 12:21 PM   #6630
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
I believe it is political instability.

Normally a problem on its own, add a pandemic and it turns it up to 11.

Even in a first world democracy like Israel.