Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-05-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Hit and run interstate plates.

If someone has damaged your car while it is parked, and the offending car is registered interstate, is there any point taking it up with authorities? I would have thought being interstate and all, they probably wouldn't go to the lengths of travelling to the other side of the country to apprehend the owner?

malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 06:51 PM   #2
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Default Re: Hit and run interstate plates.

Insurance companies will go to what ever lengths necessary to chase it up.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-05-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Springfield_Johny

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo supporter
Insurance companies will go to what ever lengths necessary to chase it up.
No they won't, it's usually up to you to provide the details of the other party so you don't have to pay your excess or lose your no claim bonus. Giving them a registration number and asking them to look up the details themselves isn't usually acceptable as they are subject to the same privacy laws as you or I.

Contact the registration authority in the state or territory the vehicle was registered in and find out what is required of you to find the full details of the registered owner, if there are any costs involved you may be able to claim them on your insurance, if not its cheaper than an excess and a lot more satisfying getting them for the hit and run.

I'd also report the matter to the police.

Daily drive 2010 Mitsubishi triton single cab turbo diesel

1968 XT Falcon (project yet to be started)
Springfield_Johny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Yes report to the police.....Police won't give out personal details (eg home addresses) to the average Joe blow, like you and I. (been down that road just recently) The polic will give it to the insurance company, who will then chase up the owner concerned.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 11:52 AM   #5
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would contact the police and get a police report. Then you can submit that report to your insurer who will take it from there. The police I dont think would care that the car is registered intersate and would still fill in a report - The insurer would then contact the owner based on the report (I beleive)

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield_Johny
No they won't, it's usually up to you to provide the details of the other party so you don't have to pay your excess or lose your no claim bonus. Giving them a registration number and asking them to look up the details themselves isn't usually acceptable as they are subject to the same privacy laws as you or I.

Contact the registration authority in the state or territory the vehicle was registered in and find out what is required of you to find the full details of the registered owner, if there are any costs involved you may be able to claim them on your insurance, if not its cheaper than an excess and a lot more satisfying getting them for the hit and run.

I'd also report the matter to the police.
Insurance company can get details from a Rego of any state.

I used to work in insurance and we used to send them to solictor and within 8 weeks we would have the registered owners details.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-05-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia
If someone has damaged your car while it is parked, and the offending car is registered interstate, is there any point taking it up with authorities? I would have thought being interstate and all, they probably wouldn't go to the lengths of travelling to the other side of the country to apprehend the owner?
No but the details would be passed onto the relevent local Police who would eventually pay the owner a visit.

If you dont lodge a complaint and get a police report your insurance may ask you why not?

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post