Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Ibrox90
Banned

Default Victoria- the place to be????......Not sure on that

So on the weekend i took the XR8 to Melbourne (from Adelaide). Few points on the car and my thoughts on Vic and Melbourne.

XR8:

The car was great never missed a beat apart from a slight vibration from an out wheel balance and a mechanical failure 50kms from home on the way back.

Good:
Over taking power so accessable without using the kick down.. and when you do use kickdown the acceleration from 100 to ...... :evil3: is unbelievable.

car held the road really well.. I took the back road through the twistys in the Adelaide Hills to get to the freeway and suspenison in this enviroment is good.

Fuel economy was impressive over the 1600km round trip I used on average 10L/per100km (computer reading) and was getting OVER 550kms per tank (from the odometer) thats cruising at 110 (then 100 in vic stupid speed limit) with the occasional blast to certain speeds when i opened the taps.

BAD:

Within an hour in the car my back was killing me.. Not sure if this issu e extends to the rest of the XR owners or to other trim (i have leather not sure if its on the cloth trim) i had several pillows to help the problem but the back was still killing me. neurofen "back pain" is a god send.

Suspension is solid over the western freeway there was a few times wher ei thought the XR would bottom out. Secondly after a bump the suspension seems tro occilate after the bump liek its still vibrating.

Victoria and Melbourne:

Good:

Krispy Kremes *DROOL* we dont have them in Adelaide (clearly because having a Krispy Kreme donut in one hand AND a Farmers Union iced coffee in the other would be a state of ectasy that would be unfair on the other states LOL.

Shops being open past 5pm. SA is old fashioned in this repect.

Both good and bad the public transport system owns Adelaides easier to use services run longer and more often.

more to do more attractions all within the CBD
while in Melbourne there was never a dull boring "what should we do now moment" aand all easily acessable via public transport.

BAD: (perpare yourselves)
(FYI Ive lived in the UK in busy cities like Glasgow and London and also Sydney so its not my hatred of busy)

HOOK TURNS WHAT THE COMPLELTY RIDICULOUS
plus if your gunna make hook turns make them all hook turns not a select few.

only 3 things belong on a road automobiles (cars, trucks etc), motorbikes and civilians brave enough. Trams are old and ridiculous and some of them are from 1920's the UK ditiched trams decades ago ive seen trams in museums younger than those in melbourne.

You all refuse to do the speed limit
while i understand that traffic conditons sometimes dictate slower speeds, when theres a dry road few cars and South Australians going by you at the speed limit (100kmh) probably time to take the hint.

Everything in melbourne seems like an after thought like tramstops and new shopping development etc etc. In my opinon the development is going faster than the infastructure that can support it.

the best ways I can discribe it is Syndey is like a nice relaid road smooth and a complete plan. Melbourne is the same road year son but new power lines and drainage and lord knows what else are now under the road and the road is now just a sea of patch up jobs and temporay fixes.

Vics seems to be rather rude.

walking down the street in Adelaide frequently you find your self in front of people moving left to right because your both being polite and trying to get out of somones way usually ending in a laughing apology. Doesnt happen in Vic walking down the street I noticed that you all don't look where your going or are so stuck up and dont care. Walking along the street I told my missus of my observation and we both agreed lets see what happens if we don't move. Within moments a girl roughly 19-22 bounces off my missus and nearly gets taken out. less than 20 steps after a guy around 25-30 rattles off me. while i understand what we did was rude just shows that you wont move at all.

I understand why SA cars sell for higher prices we have sweet traffic and its all highways stuff compared to your stop start.

the verdict:

XR8
good over distance love it

Victoria....

well lets just say the SA slogans say it all......"SA, HEAPS GOOD" "SA GREAT"

P.s Truckies are ridiculous they the road goes to 2 lanes then 1 then 2 and so on the whole way up the freeway and on the 2 lane stretches they get level with your rear wheels and then dont yeild nearly taking you out (until you open up the V8 ofcourse

P.s.s Im only commenting on what I saw dont mean to tar you all with the same brush.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears
stage 2 shift kit, riding on G6ET 18's

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Parking your ford after a long day of being Awesome
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Parkin...37774932974038

Last edited by russellw; 17-08-2009 at 11:24 PM. Reason: EDITED THE WORST OF IT
Ibrox90 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Doesn't the BA's have the adjustable lumbar support anymore? They were there on the EL.
Old 17-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #3
Ibrox90
Banned

yes it does even with the lumbar support its unbearable

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:
Quad Exhaust, Hi-Flow Air filter, BFtiming chain tensioners, Billet Oil pump gears

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 17-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #4
XM-coupe

I live in Melbourne and I have to say that I couldnt have put it better myself. In my opinion Melbourne never used to be like it is now, people are definitley ignorant when you walk around, they also bump into and try to walk through me. Sometime I ask myself 'Am I invisible?' The roads used to be some of the best in the country but now they are all patch up jobs.

I was born and grew up in Melbourne and I have to say that im very disappointed about where its all going. I recently lived in Canada for just over a year and since comming back (5 months ago) I can honestly say that unfortunatley I have to agree with you on those bad points.

Thats my 10 cents anyway

Last edited by russellw; 17-08-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Racial slurs will not be tolerated
XM-coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #5
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

If you lived in melb and had to travel through it at peak hour you would realise why trams are around, they are awesome.

I can travel from out melb to geelong and back and it costs $6.40 (con, uni student). If I was to drive it would be a 200km trip there and back, fuel alone is $20....anyway

Hook turns are awesome, but if you didn't know about them they are down right dangerous, BUT, they let traffic flow which is the point.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:28 PM   #6
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

The wonderful thing about living in a country with reasonable freedoms (like ours) is that you can make these comments (or at least the ones that didn't breach the T&C) without any concerns about ending up in a nice secret prison somewhere being kept company by a couple of illiterate thugs whose idea of entertainment is beating you senseless (although I suspect that might not take much).

The other good thing about the freedom is that you don't have to stay anywhere you don't like.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:33 PM   #7
rodderz

I'de agree with most.... but then again all cities seem to be following the same theme some faster than others. Good point about the infrastructure not being supported at the same ratio of progress, take our water storage volumes or some roads as a good example.

As for hook turns, I swear visitors look for them. I have lived here all my life and probably would of done maybe 2 or 3 total, and aren't all that hard. They're also easy to miss, melbourne city streets are one big grid and you can go through the city where you won't need to even do one.
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:34 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibrox90
while i understand that traffic conditons sometimes dictate slower speeds, when theres a dry road few cars and South Australians going by you at the speed limit (100kmh) probably time to take the hint.
As long as you don't start a thread on you getting a speeding ticket then it'll be fine.
Old 17-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #9
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
The wonderful thing about living in a country with reasonable freedoms (like ours) is that you can make these comments (or at least the ones that didn't breach the T&C) without any concerns about ending up in a nice secret prison somewhere being kept company by a couple of illiterate thugs whose idea of entertainment is beating you senseless (although I suspect that might not take much).

The other good thing about the freedom is that you don't have to stay anywhere you don't like.

Russ
thats a smidge harsh Russ, i didnt get personal at all I just said it wasnt my cup of tea your post is 100% true though. Thats why my and my family don't live in busy cities like london and sydney where weve lived before.

not really sure what your driving at.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 17-08-2009, 11:35 PM   #10
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I found the same thing in melbourne, But also in adelaide lets remember the Metal "sewar" covers that sit an inch out of the road, they would clearly damage the rims on my old BA and they arent even in the middle of lanes, they are anywhere - mostly in the wheel rutt.

Also trucks that drive through suburban areas and city centres! you dotn get that in at least brisbane, not to the extent of adelaide

Every City has its pro's and cons.

At least the Trams in melb help to take cars off the road, i wish Queensland had a public transport system to rival vic's

That not saying as an outsider trams are hard to navigate around etc.. but they do help...
Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:37 PM   #11
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Coming from WA to Melbourne was a bit of a shock for me when we first moved here. After being in relatively small Fremantle, to come to Melbourne, drive into the city and do my very first hook turn...Scary!

Overall I like it out where we are near Mt Dandy....nice out this way

It is like anywhere you go...the city is always horrible to navigate around but head out to the burbs and you can get a real feel for the place.

As for poor lumbar support....I hate the Monza seats in our car...30mins in and you need a hot water bottle behind your back to ease the pain. :(
Old 17-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Quote:
thats a smidge harsh Russ, i didnt get personal at all I just said it wasnt my cup of tea your post is 100% true though. Thats why my and my family don't live in busy cities like london and sydney where weve lived before.

not really sure what your driving at.
The edits in your post referred to the site T&C which you might want to read again.

We do not permit deliberate evasion of the swear filter and nor do we allow any racial group to be singled out for attention.

Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:49 PM   #13
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Like ibrox90, I'm from Adelaide and got back from Melbourne tonight. Some of you probably read my thread in the bar.

My impression of Melbourne? You gotta be cashed up. Or, at least, more than me. The cost my parents outlaid for what was in essence a normal melbournian weekend was massive.

The public transport system is amazing. An integrated tram system that links so many parts of Melbourne and is cheap quick and easy?? Yes please. Hook turns shouldn't bother anyone. As explained to me earlier hook turns help ease stress on trams and flow traffic better.

The oppressive rudeness of late night revellers is expected. Same as in Adelaide, so no comment on it.

The drivers? Largely pretty good. Had a shocking tailgater entering horsham, silver BA xr8. Wasn't you ibrox90?

All in all I loved Melbourne. The hustle and bustle is great, I enjoyed my time there. Full write up of my endeavours will be in the bar however.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #14
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
Like ibrox90, I'm from Adelaide and got back from Melbourne tonight. Some of you probably read my thread in the bar.

My impression of Melbourne? You gotta be cashed up. Or, at least, more than me. The cost my parents outlaid for what was in essence a normal melbournian weekend was massive.

The public transport system is amazing. An integrated tram system that links so many parts of Melbourne and is cheap quick and easy?? Yes please. Hook turns shouldn't bother anyone. As explained to me earlier hook turns help ease stress on trams and flow traffic better.

The oppressive rudeness of late night revellers is expected. Same as in Adelaide, so no comment on it.

The drivers? Largely pretty good. Had a shocking tailgater entering horsham, silver BA xr8. Wasn't you ibrox90?

All in all I loved Melbourne. The hustle and bustle is great, I enjoyed my time there. Full write up of my endeavours will be in the bar however.
Dont get my wrong I loved it, its the same old saying though, no place like home.

public transport system is great I just think its in serious need of an upgrade for such a large and prominent city it sould be state of the art.

hook turns work no doubt but its jsut scary for a hook turn virgin

It wasnt even late night it was the middle of the day.

You werent that rediculously slow XR6 were you!?!?! joking my XR8's bright blue.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 17-08-2009, 11:53 PM   #15
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
With Victoria being the speed camera state of Australia, it's turned half the drivers into paranoid drones who feel if they get close to the speed limit, all hell will break loose. Unfortunately they also feel the need to sit in the right hand lane ensuring everyone behind them also has to stick to their stupidly low speed.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #16
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I hear ya mate couldn't wait to be back in Adelaide. Did you see a nondescript white Avalon on the way there or home? That was us

Also, you damn melbournites and your coffee shops. I said it in the bar thread and I'll say it here: have you got one each now or what!??
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 18-08-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
Ibrox90
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJXR6
I hear ya mate couldn't wait to be back in Adelaide. Did you see a nondescript white Avalon on the way there or home? That was us

Also, you damn melbournites and your coffee shops. I said it in the bar thread and I'll say it here: have you got one each now or what!??
yes i did, fair few, always notice avalons i think there a great car.

i agree with the coffee shops also sex shops. Walking along bourke street I think pass a Club X sex shop then 2 mins later i pass another thinking i was lsot and walking in circles I turn back an loan behold i can see the one i passed and the one beside me.

its the same with strip clubs.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 18-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #18
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I walked brunswick street:coffee shop, 7/11, fashion shop, coffee shop, 7/11, fashion shop, etc etc...
The city takes some getting used to, but it's worth it..
Game. Reinvented.

Old 18-08-2009, 01:05 AM   #19
GT69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Australia really needs to be bombed to hell like Europe was in the 30's - 40's. People keep saying how great Europe's roads are.....its like 'durr, carpet booming allows for new infastructure.'

Current Ride - 2013 Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4, ARB kitted brick
Former Current ride - 09 XR6T in Octane, with a pinch of Sports pack
Weekender - Ford Cortina 1969 coupe
Project - 1968 Ford Cortina 4 door
GT69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 01:36 AM   #20
Ibrox90
Banned

Europes roads arent good there terrible. they crumble. not to mention car damage from snow and salt and grit used to thaw the ice.

HIS
THUNDER
2004 BA XR8
Blueprint

Mods:

HERS
FLASH
BA MKII XR6 Turbo
Phantom Purple
Typhoon front end

Old 18-08-2009, 01:54 AM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Europes roads arent good there terrible. they crumble. not to mention car damage from snow and salt and grit used to thaw the ice.
Yeah that's right, Aussie roads are so much better and they don't crumble.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 02:00 AM   #22
Teflon Turbo
Banned

you forgot to mention our health system, because i know a hospital with good food!

:
Teflon Turbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 02:09 AM   #23
jaysway

"is now just a sea of patch up jobs and temporary fixes"

should be the Victorian governments slogan
jaysway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 02:11 AM   #24
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Yeah that's right, Aussie roads are so much better and they don't crumble.
Except for that section of the Pacific Highway that had corroded steel and a section of Woy Woy Road that just continually collapses.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 02:15 AM   #25
Redmund
Banned

At least you're not lumped with the stupid QLD number plate slogan - The Smart State. They actually make you select what numberplates you want on the registration form BEFORE getting to the counter. I believe this is due to complaints from DOT employees because of customers laughing at them.

Come up to QLD. Caravan capital of the planet. A 6 hour commute from Brisbane to Rockhampton is more like a 9-10 hour battle royale because of these mongrels. In all the years I've been driving these roads I've never once witnessed one pulled up by the coppers with party lights. But hey, going 40 k's under the limit is nowhere near as bad as going 10 k's over.
Redmund is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 02:26 AM   #26
Spaniard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redmund
At least you're not lumped with the stupid QLD number plate slogan - The Smart State.
That's only in standard form but you guys actually have a much larger selection of non-standard plates than Victoria.
Spaniard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 02:29 AM   #27
Kaan
Mercury XR6

Quote:
I think the best roads are in Europe. And the only roads that you can make a 90 degree turn with 200 km/h is in Germany.
Kaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 03:57 AM   #28
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the councils are definatley not resurfacing roads like they once used to thats for sure, and it probably is a culture shock coming from Adelaide 1 million+ to Melb with nearly 4 million people in the city.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 08:37 AM   #29
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In some respects Adelaide is just a big country town which is part of its charm, Melbourne a big city does have its share of problems but compare it to Sydney. I'm a Victorian, lived in Melbourne for 5 years before moving to Sydney for the last 11 years. I love living in Sydney the weather and the beaches are awesome. But, the people in the Eastern Suburbs of Sydney at least are nowhere near as polite as Melbourne people, the traffic and road layout in Sydney is all over the shop (the M4 freeway stops in the middle of the city feeding onto a Parramatta road which is not built to cope with that volume of traffic) and the public transport is a joke, people in Sydney deserve better. Melbournes weather is crap but the basic grid layout of the roads in Melbourne is good and you might think trams are annoying if you are driving but they are a godsend if you are catching public transport.
Adelaide is a beautiful city but too quiet, always thought Adelaide had great looking girls!!
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2009, 09:31 AM   #30
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

All cities pretty much suck but not many such as much as Adelaide, LOL.

Run around in the shower to get wet due to such poor water pressure and don't even use that said water to clean your teeth as you will be left with a worst taste from the water than you would have from not cleaning your teeth for a week anyway!