Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2009, 08:42 PM   #1
jeffb

Default New Territory TV Commercial

I'm sure some have seen it where the kid covers up another vehicle with paper to make it look like the next door neighbors territory. Does anyone know what the other car is? There is just a snippet of the grill displayed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kb6lprgKIC4

Last edited by jeffb; 19-06-2012 at 09:19 PM.
jeffb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 08:52 PM   #2
ranger58

Me personally I think its a modified Kluger Grill

see
http://www.nntp.hk/web/attachment,fr.../07kluger-39lr[1].jpg

The rest of the grill besides the badge is identical.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #3
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Yeah it looks like they've taken the badge off.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 10:00 PM   #4
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

The rear quarter looks very Kluger to me, with the very pronounced crease. In addition to the grille.

Good ad though, if only they showed the Toyota badge, that would have been a laugh.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
prydey
Rob

if you ask me i think you're all clutching at straws!! truth be told, its probably just another territory.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 10:31 PM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

No way that's a Terri.
Old 27-08-2009, 10:44 PM   #7
watever

lol thats a good ad!
watever is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 10:49 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline
No way that's a Terri.
were you involved in the making of the ad? there could be about 10 cars involved. they may shoot certain shots to make you believe its a rival model but otherwise its all just everyone's opinion.
Old 28-08-2009, 02:16 AM   #9
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
were you involved in the making of the ad? there could be about 10 cars involved. they may shoot certain shots to make you believe its a rival model but otherwise its all just everyone's opinion.
I own a Territory, i know the stance and the lines back to front - the body crease is completely opposite to the slab sided terry (while being spot on with that of a Kluger) and the grille comes off a Kluger.
Old 28-08-2009, 03:35 AM   #10
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good ad! I think it's too hard to tell what car was underneath. I don't like the sound of the voice over guy though.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 11:18 AM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
if you ask me i think you're all clutching at straws!! truth be told, its probably just another territory.
It's a Kluger. There is no way it could be anything else, and after studying the neighbour's Kluger, it is a clincher. The Grille is exactly the same.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #12
irlewy86
Meep Meep

I find it funny they debadged it when the have overtly pitted the focus against the corrolla.

Look on the kids face is priceless.
Old 28-08-2009, 12:14 PM   #13
Swordsman88
Getting it done.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
It's a Kluger. There is no way it could be anything else, and after studying the neighbour's Kluger, it is a clincher. The Grille is exactly the same.
THe whole look of the car is a kluger....i noticed that before i even looked closely at the grill/badge area (which just confirms it). But i'm a bit of an anarac (spelling??) in that area. The fat **** rear quarter and excessively laid back windscreen give it away. And the massive wing mirrors.

Ford probably didn't want to look to be bashing toyota too much after the earlier focus ad. Besides the poitn of the ad is to attack a range of 'other' suvs...no point making it specific.

Now with:
Pacemaker 4499s
Lukey Catback Exhaust
Chrome BA XR-style tip
Airdam Mounted CAI with modified (bellmouth) airbox
Trip Computer install
KYB shocks
Bridgestone Adrenalin tyres

Coming Soon:
Exhaust Overhaul.....
Swordsman88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

its an ad, guys. it's designed to make you think something. it doesn't mean thats what it actually is. when it shows the grill (which is obviously not a terri grill) you can't see the whole car. i'll continue to play devils advocate and say its just another terri. if you ask me, when you look at the shots of the whole car, the body crease and door handle position is the same as the terri. if you pause the video as it pans accross to the new terri (its very fuzzy) but you can see both cars at the same time. i can't see how anyone can be certain what is underneath. could be a ford escape! :

Last edited by prydey; 28-08-2009 at 04:09 PM.
Old 28-08-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
Chopped
as in chopped

Kluger is it's natural competitor.

I like the ad up until the little smart *** kid pulls the snob face to his neighbour as they are driving off.

" I live in a material world "
Old 28-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #16
ranger58

Quote:
its an ad, guys. it's designed to make you think something. it doesn't mean thats what it actually is. when it shows the grill (which is obviously not a terri grill) you can't see the whole car. i'll continue to play devils advocate and say its just another terri. if you ask me, when you look at the shots of the whole car, the body crease and door handle position is the same as the terri. if you pause the video as it pans accross to the new terri (its very fuzzy) but you can see both cars at the same time. i can't see how anyone can be certain what is underneath. could be a ford escape! :
Defiantly not a Terri and I will tell you why.

1. When you own one and enjoy driving it you tend to look out for others, I have gotten so good at spotting them I sometime only need to see the shadow it casts to know I have seen a Terri.

2. Ford are not stupid if they used another Terri and it was found out they would look silly. Bad PR is not what they want.

3. Why would Ford not just use a Kluger, its not Illegal to use competitors products as long as you do not defame them. It would cost Ford more to Dress up a Terri to look like something else rather then just Borrowing a second hand Kluger from a Ford Dealer.

My point is why if they wanted show off the Territory as being cool, why would they not depict their main competitor in the segment as the uncool car.
Old 28-08-2009, 07:28 PM   #17
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58
Defiantly not a Terri and I will tell you why.

1. When you own one and enjoy driving it you tend to look out for others, I have gotten so good at spotting them I sometime only need to see the shadow it casts to know I have seen a Terri.

2. Ford are not stupid if they used another Terri and it was found out they would look silly. Bad PR is not what they want.

3. Why would Ford not just use a Kluger, its not Illegal to use competitors products as long as you do not defame them. It would cost Ford more to Dress up a Terri to look like something else rather then just Borrowing a second hand Kluger from a Ford Dealer.

My point is why if they wanted show off the Territory as being cool, why would they not depict their main competitor in the segment as the uncool car.
how does that arguement convince me its not a terri? i myself am a ford fan and whilst i don't own one they are easy to pick. i'm not saying it difinitely IS a terri. i'm saying no one can conclusively say it ISN'T based on that ad. the glimpse of interior and grill don't have to be of the same car. there may not be a car there at all. it could all be CGI. no doubt they have gone out of their way to make it appear like a kluger though.
Old 28-08-2009, 07:47 PM   #18
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

I think its a kluger, but who really cares. As long as it depicts the Terri as the best choice then i really could care if the car that was covered up was a Lada.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2009, 07:49 PM   #19
ranger58

the problem is (note I could be wrong as I am not a lawyer) if the took a Terri or some other car and made it look Like a Kluger then Toyota could possibly sue saying the intentionally went out of their way to target Klugers.

I mean a second hand Kluger is just that a second hand Car, the fact that its a Kluger can be explained as "well there are a lot of them on the second hand market and we did remove the badge to try and disguise it". As opposed to "No your honour we were not targeting Toyota it just so happens we found a Territory dresses ups a a Kluger, Honest"

Now working with some of the university marketing people (where I work) I know they take legal ramifications quite seriously.
Old 29-08-2009, 02:02 PM   #20
ltd
Force Fed Fords

It's a Kluger in the ad. Look at 0:22 and you'll see the LHS wheel lower steering arm, and the front end sits much higher. Not a territory.

Quote: