Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-12-2008, 11:55 PM   #1
Mark351
Built Ford Tough

Default Did Ford Marketing Get Sent On Xmas Holidays Early?

Nothing on the website about the gongs they've won recently, except for the ute winning BFYB which was a few months ago now?

You have to wonder if they're in the business of selling cars, or just manufacturing them and hoping people buy them. Ford aren't clever enough yet to let social marketing and viral marketing on the net do the work for them alone outside of Ford based forums so what's the story?

Mark351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

i think ford sacked then all lol
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 12:01 AM   #3
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark351
Nothing on the website about the gongs they've won recently, except for the ute winning BFYB which was a few months ago now?

You have to wonder if they're in the business of selling cars, or just manufacturing them and hoping people buy them. Ford aren't clever enough yet to let social marketing and viral marketing on the net do the work for them alone outside of Ford based forums so what's the story?

One can only draw the conclusion .. there is NO marketing department at Ford Austalia.

Who else but enthusiasts on this forum know there is a new model Falcon ... and about all the awards it has won for safety, fuel consumption, etc. etc. etc. ????????????
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Why pay for marketing when theres ppl like on here singing a chorus line for them for nicks :
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 12:18 AM   #5
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Has anyone stayed up late at night to see if there is any Ford ads? Like the Mr Plow ad on the Simpsons lol.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 12:23 AM   #6
Richmalbill

I raised the point on another thread, but I have to agree this is nothing short of a bloody disgrace. Let's look at this:

The large car category for the Best Car is the smallest of the lot and blind Freddy could see the newest car there was streets ahead of the other two finalists. So do you think perhaps Ford might have had some incling they might be up for an award? Perhaps, I don't know, setting up the website to pop off the streamers and balloon the very instance it was announced (like Hyundai did) might not have been beyond the realms of human possibility.

I'm almost to the point of thinking that if Ford cannot get it's act together in such fundemental areas such as sales and marketing then it clearly does not have the right to be in the business of selling cars. It's an effin' disgrace that the only one's heralding the achievement are us the fans - preaching to the converted if ever there was.
Richmalbill is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 12:27 AM   #7
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer_Me
Why pay for marketing when theres ppl like on here singing a chorus line for them for nicks :
Yeah, but we're already convinced that it's a good car. They need to go out and sell the car to those mongies that reckon a camry is a good thing.

I'm sure most of us extol the FGs virtues to our friend, but it shouldn't be up to us.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:28 AM   #8
Richmalbill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Has anyone stayed up late at night to see if there is any Ford ads? Like the Mr Plow ad on the Simpsons lol.
Probably channel 31 is their limit these days.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:42 AM   #9
747jet
2 4 turning 2 4 burning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
hey it on now lol
747jet is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 08:55 AM   #10
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great.. another Ford Marketing Bashing thread.....

Look at the current economic climate and relative financial positions of Ford V Holden and tell me Ford should throw more money on pointless commercials... :

Old 04-12-2008, 09:01 AM   #11
whales
351 Cleveland:Pure Muscle

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman

Look at the current economic climate and relative financial positions of Ford V Holden and tell me Ford should throw more money on pointless commercials... :
Agree 100% How many more times are we going to have this sort of thread
Old 04-12-2008, 10:56 AM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

If you are content with Ford's marketing ... so be it.

The majority of the thinking members of this and other Ford forums are totally frustrated by the lack of it.

And their voices of disapproval and concern are confirmed by the outgoing Ford Australia CEO with his conservative comment that "we didn't do the job properly on the release of the FG".

The release advertising was as exciting as watching paint dry.
There was NO trumpeting the Bathust triumph ... NOT EVEN A PRESS AD.
There's been NO chest beating on class winning safety.
Nothing about ANY DAMNED THING!!!!!!!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 11:08 AM   #13
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
If you are content with Ford's marketing ... so be it.

The majority of the thinking members of this and other Ford forums are totally frustrated by the lack of it.

And their voices of disapproval and concern are confirmed by the outgoing Ford Australia CEO with his conservative comment that "we didn't do the job properly on the release of the FG".

The release advertising was as exciting as watching paint dry.
There was NO trumpeting the Bathust triumph ... NOT EVEN A PRESS AD.
There's been NO chest beating on class winning safety.
Nothing about ANY DAMNED THING!!!!!!!
I really couldn't give a hoot about Fords direct advertising because i don't see it as self gratifying entertainment like most of the whingeing fanboys do.

Brand image is far more important. Brand image is not created over night with ****y ads or chest beating commercials, its subliminal as much as its pronounced.
Ford have bunkered down, something that may in fact ensure its survival.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:35 AM   #14
Scott

Quote:
Ford US have advised they are doing the exact opposite. They said they are looking at more models whilst the Chrysler's & GM's are reducing their line up.

No point spending all those billions on new cars and generating new markets if you aren't going to tell anyone about it.

I am not a fan of Ford AU's marekting dept... overrated, under achievers.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 12:54 PM   #15
Biggav
On the search for cubes..

well then if ford actually did some sort of advertising like a bilboard here and print add there, radio spot there not much asked for we wouldnt have these bashing threads.

so until ford look at themselves, "the people" = us fans are voting with our fingers and thoughts, not so much with our feet.

Current Projects
ED SOHC 3v 5.4 Cammed 5.4 3V Garage Ornament Project
Project Brimstone XE Wagon Phase 6 powered by Coyote

Long Gone Projects
EA Falcon SOHC 4.0 237rwhp
BA 3V 'The Taxi' DJR320 Kit, G6ET Wheels, Lunati Voodoo Cams 320rwhp
Biggav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:26 PM   #16
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HOLDENS new ad is a sign of the times. Their "TOUGH TIMES " ad gets the message out that yes times are tough but we are doing something about it" Whats FORD doing ????
Not printable is my answer. IF FORD wins WHEELS COTY next months, FORD can have Simon and Garfunkels song as their theme song " SOUNDS OF SILENCE"
Old 04-12-2008, 03:45 PM   #17
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Marketing Department at Ford Australia.

dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #18
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

HAHAHA^^^^ Priceless, or maybe cost cutting.
SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 03:50 PM   #19
irlewy86
Meep Meep

COTY was annouced yesterday, did you expect them to do a Carlton FC and expect the win. If they make a huge song and dance about the COTY what happens next year when the VF wins it, turn around and say "oh those silly awards mean nothing"

Ford has sponsorship of the ACB which means an intensive summer of Mondeo, Ranger and Falcon advertising that is already paid for. While GMH and Toyota are left out of the show.

Marketing is just a straw man for some people.
Old 04-12-2008, 04:09 PM   #20
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggav
so until ford look at themselves, "the people" = us fans are voting with our fingers and thoughts, not so much with our feet.
and never with your wallets.... its easy to be a critic and never a customer.

Old 04-12-2008, 05:20 PM   #21
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_105
The Marketing Department at Ford Australia.

That door has a sleight edge to its marketing approach
Old 04-12-2008, 05:35 PM   #22
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Ford recieving so many accolades recently and don't use any of them what a waste may as well give car of the year to someone who will atleast let everyone know there happy about it.

FORD EXEC: Hey boss we just won car of the year

MANAGER: Thats nice put the gong with the 3 bathurst wins on the water cooler.

SERVICE MANAGER: Hey our LPG dedicated Falcon gets comparable economy with a 4cyl car

MANAGER: Dont tell anyone we want to sell the imported focus not the new FG, I know times are tough but if we just bunker down and put our heads in the sand and do sweet _ _ it will be ok.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 05:52 PM   #23
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Mate 1: hey mate, i was thinking about buying a new car, i like the look of the FG Falcon, what do you think?

Mate 2: na mate, don't buy it, Ford never spend any money advertising it, so it won't give you anything to brag about..

Mate 1: um, but its a good car, i've looked at one, and its got heaps of features including excellent fuel economy, its safer and offers way more than the commodore?

Mate 2: it doesn't matter, if Ford won't spend money with feel good ads i won't buy one, buy the commodore, its not as good but i love the TV ads..!.

Mate 1:.. hmm what the...?

Seriously.. how dumb and gullible do some of you think consumers are?

Old 04-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #24
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richmalbill
Yeah, but we're already convinced that it's a good car. They need to go out and sell the car to those mongies that reckon a camry is a good thing.
I'm with this bloke. If you've got a kickass product, let the people know about it!

Holden appeals to the masses with emotive advertisement. Ford does nothing.

For those who talk about the cricket advertising. That's great, if you watch cricket. All I've seen so far have been "Ford" adverts where a tired joke is used about evening up two teams for a game of backyard cricket, then the Ford logo appears. Yep, that'll sell another Falcon. Good on Ford for sponsoring the cricket though.

4Vman, you need to attract the people to the product at least. Holden beat their drum about awards for the VE & how awesome their Calais is compared to Euro cars, etc. If you were in the new car market for a large car, you'd want to check one out to see what the fuss is all about... I'm tipping the average new car buyer out there has no idea about Ford's 5 star safety rating, COTY, and all the other gongs they've picked up (hell, those are the only two I can think of)

BRB, making my fingers jump along powerlines & (swear filter ate my chosen word)...
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 06:06 PM   #25
FPV+fteT3
Performance Inc.

Yea your right lets not tell anyone how good our cars are then they can buy and look at cars that they have heard about and know about thru mainstream advertising cause the adds get peoples attention and get people interested enough to come in then the salespeople can atleast have a go.

FPV Super Pursuit Build no 0080/91
Lotus Exige S/C S240

Kart Hasse Chassis 100J Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
Rental cars, the equipment of choice to get to destinations where 4WDs fear to drive......
FPV+fteT3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 06:13 PM   #26
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
I was thinking more along the lines of this:

Mate 1: hey mate, i was thinking about buying a new car, i like the look of the FG Falcon, what do you think?

Mate 2: na mate, don't buy it, Ford never spend any money advertising it, so it won't give you anything to brag about..

Mate 1: um, but its a good car, i've looked at one, and its got heaps of features including excellent fuel economy, its safer and offers way more than the commodore?

Mate 2: it doesn't matter, if Ford won't spend money with feel good ads i won't buy one, buy the commodore, its not as good but i love the TV ads..!.

Mate 1:.. hmm what the...?

Seriously.. how dumb and gullible do some of you think consumers are?
More like:

Mate 1: Hey mate I'm looking at buying a new car.

Mate 2: Well the Corolla is a reliable and economical car and the Commodore is a classic Australian car with strong performance. There is also Mazda and Mitsubishi.

Mate 1: What about Ford??

Mate 2: That old taxi. It has an engine from the 60's, is slow, has leaf springs and will break down up the road. Plus a Commodore will always use less fuel.

The average man on the street us unaware of the Falcon. I have often been "informed" that the Falcon has leaf springs, uses heaps of fuel compared to Commodore (E-series stigma), have old technology, are slow etc. etc. etc.

The "facts" I hear about Falcons are from your typical 40+ white collar new car buyer and they are buying and recommending Corollas and Commodores in droves. If they are feeling adventurous they will buy a Mazda 3 or Lancer. Falcons are not even considered and the sales speak for themselves.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #27
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its not the advertising that is the problem... well it might be part of the problem but let me quote someone:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whirlpoolian
Its an aussie made car... they now have 999 more problems to find and fix....
Its the perception the public have of Ford as a brand is what I think is the problem, people see the badge and assume its a crap car. Though this is a broad example, but its more predominant against Ford out of the two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 07:10 PM   #28
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleekism
uses heaps of fuel compared to Commodore (E-series stigma)
First I've heard about that "stigma". I remember years ago (when Ford actually advertised) they were talking up either the EB or ED, sayingit was 17% more fuel efficient than the VP or VR commodore. The advert finished with the fuel flap closing itself.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 08:02 PM   #29
AUIIForte

Quote:
I really couldn't give a hoot about Fords direct advertising because i don't see it as self gratifying entertainment like most of the whingeing fanboys do.

Brand image is far more important. Brand image is not created over night with ****y ads or chest beating commercials, its subliminal as much as its pronounced.
I believe that you don't know what you are talking about.

EDIT: Nobody cares if you give a 'hoot'. But Ford Australia should care about the advertising of their NEW car. (which is an AMAZING car)

You say "Brand image is far more important", how do you think this image is achieved?

You should wake up, because that kind of image IS created over night. By crazy and ****y ads. Just face it, you know nothing of the advert market if thats the way you think. The only way to get an image out, is to show it off as much as possible.

(Havn't read the other posts because His post needed a response from me)

Last edited by AUIIForte; 04-12-2008 at 08:09 PM.
AUIIForte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-12-2008, 08:06 PM   #30
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIIForte
I believe that you don't know what you are talking about.
As I said, brand image is important. If everyone thinks that Ford is a piece of crap and can't make cars to save themselves, people won't buy their cars, you could spam Ford advertising 24/7 over all channels but people still won't buy them because they think they're crappy. I think thats the problem, BRAND IMAGE.

Ford doesn't have a good brand image, and hell, going by their dealerships and servicing departments, that we experience, thats even worse. If we don't go to Ford servicing, the Ford "enthusiasts", what the hell is the average joe going to think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post