Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 31-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #31
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
The only way that would happen in an E-Series is if you're really really dumb and leave the shocker out or something. It's physically impossible for the spring to fall out when the weight of the car is on it, and obviously if it did happen to move, the shocker would keep it at least hanging on the car.

Sundeep
LOL Yeah. Maybe he went over such a big bump, that his diff fell out as well? rofl.
BA MKII XR6 Turbo, 6sp Manual - Vibe purple, Premium sound, Sports leather, BA XR8 wheels, Koni adjustable suspension, Nizpro v/springs, Walbro in-tank pump, Siemens 60lb injectors, Process West stage 1 intercooler, Mal Wood 11" Option 3 clutch, Tripod gauges, Custom Mainlube T56 gearbox oil, ETM turbo oil feed line, Typhoon intake, BMC Panel filter, Turbosmart BOV, Tuned by Pit Lane Performance - 300.4rwkw @ 12psi
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 11:37 AM   #32
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELmalaca
agree very bouncy!!!

just go ultras man wouldnt suggest cutting them
It will be bouncy if you leave it riding on the bump stops for sure!

The trick is to not do that....

That is an old pic of my ride, didnt bounce at all (standard length shocks all round and yes i still had bump stops) had to pick the rear up a little now because i been doing some towing latley and the towbar was near draggin on the ground :(

But there is a little secret i could possibly share to cheat at the rear... I would say heaps of people have done it already tho.
Old 31-10-2006, 12:43 PM   #33
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

man that thing is low. looks awesome.
Old 31-10-2006, 01:55 PM   #34
eldreamin

OK just a quick question..... I no you guys dont recommend monroe shocks. Someone already said they were rubbish. What can you suggest for decent shortened shocks for when I get my ultralows in a couple of weeks time?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought it would fit in here.
eldreamin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #35
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufel
my mate just bought ultralows for his car (cant mention what it is on here) and he had cut springs in the back. sitting them next to each other the ultralows were taller, however its all in the spring rate/tension, they are a lot softer than the cut originals.
if you want to be cheap, just take your springs out, take them to a place like the suspension centre, and get them retentioned. i had my old car done, it dropped to the equivalent of ultralows, and they were stock springs. the ride was unbelieveable.
Is this true and how much does it cost... Did you get new shocks as well...

NC Fairlane GHIA
Series II
I6.
Mods. 2.5" cat back
Clarion HU
Soundstream speakers amp and subs
Lowered
DL LTD rims
: thats it!
For the moment... :
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #36
needfordspeed
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothin suss

But there is a little secret i could possibly share to cheat at the rear... I would say heaps of people have done it already tho.
Your car looks awesome, what's the secret? PM me if you want.
1988 EA S-Pack|MPI|LSD|AIT turbo manifold|Garrett GT3540|3" Exhaust turbo back|Cooler|Sports ryder shocks|Pedders lows|Resprayed|Microtech LT8s|60lb Injectors|Bosch 044 with surge tank|3000 RPM stall|Ported AU head|Turbo grind cam|Crow double valve springs|1.3mm MLS headgasket|C4 Conversion|Built bottom end|Custom plenum|10.6@125MPH
needfordspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #37
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldreamin
OK just a quick question..... I no you guys dont recommend monroe shocks. Someone already said they were rubbish. What can you suggest for decent shortened shocks for when I get my ultralows in a couple of weeks time?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I thought it would fit in here.
without spending a bit of money there isnt much you can get...

look into koni, kyb or pedders shocks. i have koni's in the back and pedders in the front of mine, and i couldnt be happier.
Old 31-10-2006, 08:54 PM   #38
Rollin
Banned

As OED said, Monroe are rubbish.

Get some koni rears and adjust them so they are nice and stiff, then have a chat to k-mac about some custom lowered springs.

Surely there is no emergency that you need the car lowered NOW...It's worth saving the money and spending it on something that will contribute in no small way to the ride, handling and safety of your car...

And maybe actually GET the wheels first, then see how they look with 'only' superlows on the car.
Rollin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #39
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
I will take some pics today and post them up...........
Old 01-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #40
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundeep
The only way that would happen in an E-Series is if you're really really dumb and leave the shocker out or something. It's physically impossible for the spring to fall out when the weight of the car is on it, and obviously if it did happen to move, the shocker would keep it at least hanging on the car.

Sundeep
im only getting this info second hand so, my mate said something like something collapsed or something, he also said the car was a just about sitting on the ground tho!
Old 01-11-2006, 09:11 PM   #41
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by needfordspeed
I have posted a little section on this at
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=1049933

i dont want to hijack this thread on 6cylEA
Old 01-11-2006, 09:21 PM   #42
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you really want to lower it without getting new springs, heres how to do it,

park it on flat concrete or bitumen, put blocks of wood under the jack points and if you want to lower it an inch, leave an inch gap between the blocks of wood and the jack points. then heat the springs and the car will drop onto the blocks, let them cool off and it's done, heat either the top half or the bottom half only, and it might keep a bit of springyness in the other half. but do not chop them as the end you chop will not fit the strut properly and it could slip out.
EBFalcs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 09:26 PM   #43
Aaron_EF8
Oops, I slipped....

Quote:

park it on flat concrete or bitumen, put blocks of wood under the jack points and if you want to lower it an inch, leave an inch gap between the blocks of wood and the jack points. then heat the springs and the car will drop onto the blocks, let them cool off and it's done, heat either the top half or the bottom half only, and it might keep a bit of springyness in the other half. but do not chop them as the end you chop will not fit the strut properly and it could slip out.
lol @ you.

1984 XE S-Pack 250 Sno White - LPG - Single Rail - 2.5" Exhaust

"Just because you don't understand something, does not make it wrong"

Aaron_EF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 09:34 PM   #44
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBFalcs

I haven't studied alot of material properties, but I would think that by heating the springs you are changing the molecular structure (for lack of better words) so that the properties of the metal are different, not only in torsional rigidity which is lowering the car, but also in terms of stress, strain and all that (ie. they may become "brittle"). I wouldn't do it myself. I'd even prefer to cut them, because even though the stiffness of the spring will change (stiffer), the spring will still be strong if you cut it without allowing much heat to dissipate through the spring.
Stops due to: bendix, DBA
Shifter connected to: T5 manual
Power from: ???
Interior: velour and woodgrain
Cost: stuff all :P
oneredED is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 09:37 PM   #45
EDXR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
im only getting this info second hand so, my mate said something like something collapsed or something, he also said the car was a just about sitting on the ground tho!
I call BS

What type of car was it not wanting to wanting to make the assumption it was an e-series.

If it was somthing with IRS this might change the outcome

And cut spring rock!!!!!
EDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2006, 09:44 PM   #46
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Quote:
I call BS

What type of car was it not wanting to wanting to make the assumption it was an e-series.

If it was somthing with IRS this might change the outcome

And cut spring rock!!!!!
Rear springs can fall out of commodores (VN-VS non-IRS at least) if cut. I have seen it, the spring does not sit over the shock in them, it is separate, and can quite easily come out if rear is unloaded, for example if the car gets airbourne.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 PM   #47
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneredED
Rear springs can fall out of commodores (VN-VS non-IRS at least) if cut. I have seen it, the spring does not sit over the shock in them, it is separate, and can quite easily come out if rear is unloaded, for example if the car gets airbourne.
happened to someone i know with a VN SS, reversed off a gutter and the spring fell onto the road
Old 01-11-2006, 09:51 PM   #48
EDXR6T

Quote:
Yer well commo's are gay jared you should now that haha
Old 01-11-2006, 10:04 PM   #49
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR6T
Yer well commo's are gay jared you should now that haha
Yeah too true pat, but everytime I go home to work on my car, I pull into the workshop and see a VP SS, a 355 with 300rwkw (N/A) that would whoop my car even if mine was turbo. It's depressing :(
Old 01-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #50
EDXR6T

Quote:
Yeah too true pat, but everytime I go home to work on my car, I pull into the workshop and see a VP SS, a 355 with 300rwkw (N/A) that would whoop my car even if mine was turbo. It's depressing :(
VP SS's are a diffrent story man. I now i wouldent mind one:(
Old 02-11-2006, 07:21 PM   #51
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDXR6T
VP SS's are a diffrent story man. I now i wouldent mind one:(
i got a VP calais 5L, which is pretty much identical to an SS except for it don't have FE2 suspension, and body kit. and i have owned 3 falcons before it but those 5L commo's with t700's are awesome.
Old 03-11-2006, 02:16 PM   #52
babbo

yeah where i work we put a vp with chopped springs on the hoist and the springs just feel out.
Only happens on those model commos but
babbo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 08:10 PM   #53
EBFalcs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can't chop them on mine because i have IRS, but i just put some king super lows in it and i'm happy with the height now.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:55 PM   #54
oneredED
need more boost

Quote:
got a VP calais 5L, which is pretty much identical to an SS except for it don't have FE2 suspension, and body kit. and i have owned 3 falcons before it but those 5L commo's with t700's are awesome.
The SS thats constantly in our workshop (family members car) has VERY LITTLE that is SS left on it. It's a candy puple, rolls on 19's, Aero bodykit, 300rwkw 355, tremec 6spd etc etc... I think the interior is the only SS part left ;)
Old 03-11-2006, 11:18 PM   #55
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

dont chop the springs!! i did in my old EA and it was just waaay to bouncy, i ended up scraping a huge hole in the fuel tank and ripping off the rear bar, was bouncing all over the shop, about 30 km from home after taking a "shortcut" :
heres a pic of it minus 3 rear coils and 2 front...
[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 10:28 AM   #56
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
dont chop the springs!! i did in my old EA and it was just waaay to bouncy, i ended up scraping a huge hole in the fuel tank and ripping off the rear bar, was bouncing all over the shop, about 30 km from home after taking a "shortcut" :
There is no use chopping 3 coils and leaving the bump stops standard... did you 'alter' the bump stops??
Old 04-11-2006, 04:10 PM   #57
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

nope, i was young and dumb

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 PM   #58
hmc 'mont
ELMONTY

one of ma mates cut his ultra lows in a vn commonwhore/toyota lexen, i dont know much about it however the ride wasnt that bouncy at all