Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-04-2005, 08:11 PM   #31
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII XR8 MAN
Most blokes & some gals do the same, go striaght for the 1/4 mile time to see who win & that why Holden sells more.
Which proves the intelligence of most Holden buyers. Who cares if it doesn't drive well as long as its quick in a straight line. Holden may as well make cars that don't turn.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 02:06 PM   #32
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez
spot on the money there....

without wanting to generalise holden fans, 1 for example (my mate) will ALWAYS go to 1/4 mile times and use that as his entire argument. they aren't interested in a total performance car, because their car is faster in a straight line....

as for the fords being more driver friendly etc, thats great, but if its a performance car, it shouldnt be expected to ride like a fairmont luxury car.

key word in FPV is performance.

when i told him that the BA falcon beat the VZ 190kw commo down the 1/4, his argument was (and he has driven both) "the ford doesnt feel powerful"

LOL, it doesnt feel powerful, but it beats the holden....wonder which 1 i'd prefer.
Did you inform him of the fact that power is what you read, torque is what you feel. And if the falcon lacks 8nm of power, it makes up with 60nm of torque. That my freind is alot more important. Your mate sound like as much of a loser as some of my mates are LOL.

Last edited by Cobra; 04-04-2005 at 03:00 PM.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2005, 02:20 PM   #33
SSbaby
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deesun
or you could look at it another way, Holdens current fair is a heap and they will only just be catching up,I see it as we are the leaders they the followers.After all we had the heaviest and best IRS first and now they see the merits of ours and are following.
It's one of the funniest posts I've read for a long time... almost as good as mygt's classics on the old site! ;) Yeah, nothing like an impartial view of 'the ways of the world'. If that were the case, we'd be looking at introducing the GenIII engine in VE instead of GenIV.

Sorry mods, I couldn't resist!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:32 PM   #34
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Did you inform him of the fact that power is what you read, torque is what you feel. And if the falcon lacks 8nm of power, it makes up with 60nm of torque. That my freind is alot more important. Your mate sound like as much of a loser as some of my mates are LOL.
thats what he said, it didnt FEEL powerful.....i said the fords have more torque, but he is too stubborn.

i dont know much about the mechanical aspects of cars, but what i know is a shit load more than him :P
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 01:39 AM   #35
andrew_smith_84
my one day build...

is it just me or does red just get corvette hand-me downs and just shove it in(ls*=gen*), where-as blue get US gear and work on it to make it better for AUS drivers??

also isn't corvette in with the mustang sales bracket - SPORTS CARS, not fast sedans??

red are just try'n to over do their commos with corvette gear. i'm sure if fordaus want to they could get 5.4 from US with the supercharger on them as well.
andrew_smith_84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 12:08 PM   #36
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew_smith_84
is it just me or does red just get corvette hand-me downs and just shove it in(ls*=gen*), where-as blue get US gear and work on it to make it better for AUS drivers??

also isn't corvette in with the mustang sales bracket - SPORTS CARS, not fast sedans??

red are just try'n to over do their commos with corvette gear. i'm sure if fordaus want to they could get 5.4 from US with the supercharger on them as well.
Actually, Corvette and Mustang are not competitors. A C6 Corvette costs US$40,000 new, has 400hp 400ftlbs, does 0-100km/h in 4.4 seconds and the 1/4 mile in 12.6 seconds, and handles very well.

A Mustang GT costs US$25,000, has 300hp 300ftlbs, does 0-100km/h in 5.7, the 1/4 mile in 14.1 and... handles worse then a BA XT Sedan. Corvette is a real sports coupe, its designed to compete with the likes of Porsche, Ferrari, Aston Martin, Maserati, BMW, Mercedes-Benz etc etc, for far less money.

Mustang, on the other hand, is just a V8 coupe (four seater) thats well... nice. Nice to look at, most likely nice to drive, but not a full on sports car.

As for Hand-me-downs, our 5.4 is better then every 5.4 the USA offers except the super expensive engine in the Ford GT. You wouldn't see that thing in anything less then a GT-HO though, and even then, the car would be $120k+ because of the engine expense.

There was, however, a Supercharged DOHC 4.6 they should have used... but I'll not get into that.

Also, define trying to "over do" their Commodores with Corvette gear?
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 12:22 PM   #37
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The GT Mustang is quicker than 14.1 down the quarter, guys have been getting mid 13s from it.
And the Shelby Cobra Mustang will get an Iron block version of the Ford GT 5.4 motor, with US$40k price tag, so the engine isnt that expensive.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #38
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Why is the alloy block so much more expensive than the cast? Is it because the 5.4 alloy GT donk is dry sump? If GM can do it cheap why can't ford?
Old 05-04-2005, 02:32 PM   #39
Steffo
LPG > You

As far as I know, the new Mustang Shelby Cobra 5.4 shares one thing in common with the Ford GT, the cylinder heads. Its a iron block, wet sump 5.4. The GT is a purpose built alloy-block, dry sump engine. You won't find the GT's block or lubrication setup on any other mod motor.
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 02:40 PM   #40
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Why can't they make a wet sump alloy 5.4L? Why couldn't they have done that 7 years ago so we could have an alloy 5.4 in the AU. GRRRRRRRRR.
Old 05-04-2005, 06:09 PM   #41
YOOT
Banned

The BOSS's biggest down fall is the torque management that the BA hinders it with. Turn it off and it cures nearly all the winges people have with it and suddenly the 13s come up nice and easy.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 06:31 PM   #42
Dez
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOOT
The BOSS's biggest down fall is the torque management that the BA hinders it with. Turn it off and it cures nearly all the winges people have with it and suddenly the 13s come up nice and easy.
is that something easy to remove? if it can get them into the 13's that easy, i woulda thought all the BOSS guys on here would have it done by now.
Dez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-04-2005, 07:08 PM   #43
YOOT
Banned

Well the 290 motor responds with low 13s with an edit, but it does pickup a fair bit of power. But isn't that exactly what turning off a torque reduction does? It stops reducing torque so the car starts making more!

Its just the edit by the way.
YOOT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post