Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 30-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #1
apoc
AUII I6

Default New AUII sway bar bushes...

Hey all,

This is my first post on the forum, woot .

I have recently brought myself an AUII I6, i previously owned a VN, bag it if u like, it dont bother me it went hard, the AU is so smooth and quiet though all bar one thing i think that my swaybar D bushes are shagged.

Every time i cruise over a bump there is a clonk from the front of the car, so when i was back at the old mans i put it up on some ramps and he bounced the suspension up and down while i scoped **** out. From what i could see and feel the passenger side swaybar bush in particular was clonking with slop in the center hole where the bar passes through. Which finally brings me to ask:

1. When I replace the bushes ($46.40 from supercheap) is it best to have the car with weight on the suspension , or to jack it up so the weight is off the suspension?

2. Does it (the swaybar) go "Sproing" and pop off when you undo it and try to take your hand off?

3. How much of a bastard is it to rebolt on/get to line up the bolt holes?

4. Anything else to look for with the clonking? I tightened up all the strut mounting bolts, everything else appears to be tight enough, all the other rubbers and joints appear to be in acceptable to fine condition.

5. Whats this about lubing up strut rubbers or something, my car doesnt squeek it clonks should i consider this necessary at all?

As you can tell i dont have myself a manual yet, i was hoping to just leave the car off the ramps, no jack (ahhhh the beauty of having stock suspension), and just undo the metal clasp do the rubber switcheroo, one at a time so its still sortof held in place...

Any comments or information would be greatly appreciated,

Simon.

apoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 04:09 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

You can do it with the car jacked up or not - it doesn't go "sproing" or anything, and I would suggest doing one side at a time, as it leaves the sway bar located in the right position.

The other areas that cause clonking are the balljoints.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #3
apoc
AUII I6

Cheers JC,

Sounds like it should be a relatively easy job by the sounds of things, come on supercheap get that stuff in...

Simon.
apoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post