Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-01-2007, 10:35 PM   #1
nikos
mezzo forte

Default mudflaps

I am thinking of removing my mudflaps for aesthetics, but I live on a gravel road. Will removing them get my paint chipped? Would I be better off painting them body colour?

Cheers Nic

nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 10:37 PM   #2
HLC
Audi S3

you will get more chips taking the flaps off.

the paint is probably damaged under them anyway. and i dont think they look too bad.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I bet when you remove them your going to have rub marks from the mudflaps any way that will need repainting,just leave them on they look cool.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2007, 11:08 PM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikos
I am thinking of removing my mudflaps for aesthetics, but I live on a gravel road. Will removing them get my paint chipped? Would I be better off painting them body colour?

Cheers Nic
I used to do this to every car I had, however instantly the side of your car gets dirtier sooner, you do get more chips etc, and inevitably there will be rub marks under them!

Another thing is they do tend to visually lower the car from the rear, and when you remove them, your car tends to appear a bit higher.
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #5
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

private9 is right.

I don't know why people remove mudflaps. I have mudflaps all round.

The cabs that have mudflaps need washing only about half the time cars without mudflaps do.

Mudflaps do look cool in the overall picture of your car - and thats what people see. People don't actually see MUDFLAPS, they just see a nice car. And if you didn't have them, the car looks a little bare and high.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My AU3 Futura had the police pack - which was optioned without mudflaps. I have driven on many dirt roads, and don't have any paint chips on the side of my car (except for where other people have slammed my door). I usually have the a*** of the car out on a regular basis. The only problem I find is that if you go over a feshly tar sealed road, it will spray a bit of tar up the side, but nothing that a bit a teatree oil won't fix.... I think the AU without mudflaps looks better IMHO...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 10:12 PM   #7
XR6Stu

Yeh I dont have them, and I Honestly dont thnk I would put the back on in a hurry.
XR6Stu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2007, 10:42 PM   #8
nikos
mezzo forte

Thanks for everyones opinions. ill check for paint rubbed off, if so ill leave em, if not ill try without em.
nikos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:30 AM   #9
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The paint will be rubbed on the front guard i guaruntee...
Dads XR6T hasn't had them for 3 years and after 72,000km theres no chips..
My AU has them up until about a year ago when i bought the car and threw them in the bin. I think they're so dorky looking, and do more damage to the paint than prevent.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #10
Orbit
Resident Nyctophobic!!

from someone who lives on a dirt road... YOU WILL GET BUCKET LOADS more stone chips.
There is a product made by 3m that is a invisible paint protector...there is a thread on it but i can't find it.
so if you do get the flaps taken off you will want to have the rubmarks resprayed, and the "invisible" paint protector applied...you can also get invisible car bras...made of the same stuff.
i'd leave them on and get the paint protector....i'll have to get some photo's of my paint chips....even with mudflaps on!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:59 AM   #11
AK

Mine had them on but I took them off. Sure the paint was a little scuffed but to me it looked alot better and I don't travel on dirt roads so no problems there.