Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-03-2007, 12:46 AM   #1
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default No wonder so many pedestrians get hit by cars

I was going to my local supermarket doing my shopping tonight, I pull into the car park and see 3 people walking down the MIDDLE of the 2 way ROADway in the car park. I came to an almost complete stop waiting for them to move to the side. 2 of them turned around, saw me coming and proceeded to continue walking down the middle, the other actually did the right thing and moved to one side. I was about to drive by them when she did this so I was just getting on the throttle a little and letting the clutch out when I had to dip the clutch again and it appeared I was revving the engine at them. Then I just drove past them and the guy is yelling out at me as if I did something wrong.
I was patient - I gave them clear opportunity to move to the side - either side and they decided to be smartarses and block the road.
If I was going to run them over, I wouldn't have slowed down to begin with

I made sure to do a quick check when I left for any attacks on my car.

Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

A lot of people do it nowadays, as though they own the road. Must be because they think they're invincible. One day, they'll find out that they're not, and it'll be waaaaay too late.
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 02:21 AM   #3
ONBA1L

i know what you mean. i bet alot of people have been in the same situation. i no i have it just bugs me to know that if anything does happen we are still held responsible even if its not our fault and we are in the right.
ONBA1L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 02:47 AM   #4
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think in a supermarket carpark pedestrians would - or should - have the right of way, its a parking area not a road. But by the same token people should be considerate and polite. Stupid to exercise your right of way by blocking somebody. Just simple courtesy and commonsense, qualities lacking in much of the population.

Now what about the pedestrians who get mown down on pedestrian crossings by stupid motorists? As you say, no wonder so many pedestrians get hit by cars. Works both ways. Neither getting in a car nor getting out to walk don't automatically give a person brains.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 AM   #5
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_october
A lot of people do it nowadays, as though they own the road. Must be because they think they're invincible. One day, they'll find out that they're not, and it'll be waaaaay too late.
They do it because the do-gooders always put the blame on the driver and hence aren't held accountable for their actions.

People walking in the middle of carparks shits me to tears : Is it so ******* hard to walk to the side?

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
I think in a supermarket carpark pedestrians would - or should - have the right of way, its a parking area not a road.
Maybe if they are crossing the carpark, but when they walk in the middle of road intentially and don't move that is just plain inconsiderate.

Fact is a car cannot move whilst they are in the way (and some ****ers move really slow) when walking to the side is just as effective for the pedestrian.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 08:28 AM   #6
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My street has a footpath on each side but some intelligent locals still feel the need to walk on the road, in the dark in their black clothing, WTF is going on in their minds? The next street has one of those white lines along it just outside where the cars park. I have nicknamed the space between the line and the gutter the "bogan footpath".
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 AM   #7
LTDHO
The one and only

Try driving through the city. At ped crossings, people just cross even when they are facing red. This happened this morning, I had to move through peopl, I was facing green for almost 20 seconds.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 09:59 AM   #8
Simmo
White Lightning

whoever said people do this because they know if anything goes wrong the driver gets the blame is spot on. there could be crackhead, sleeping in the middle of the road, in therm-optic camouflage, and if i squished him, i'm screwed. screwby the douche and the rest of our 'oh so scared of everything, but the lawyers will fix it' public can just buggar off.
Simmo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM   #9
fordel
Tricolore Tard
Contributing Member

Its because the general population are a bunch of whining sooking, good for nothing ****** retards who think the world owes them everything and are not prepared to take responsibility for their own actions, and would rather make someone else pay for their total and utter waste of space that they are, and are to stupid to know what the hell to do...

Gee can you tell i hate the general population from where i work

Chris
Old 08-03-2007, 02:14 PM   #10
GXL078
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In Europe if a driver hits a cyclist the driver is automatically at fault and has to prove otherwise.
GXL078 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

I had a similar situation, on a public road 50 meters from my house. A group of teens decided to play a game of soccer on the road. I came out of the corner a bit too hard and could see them 30 meters in front i slowed down alittle. Do you think they noticed me?? NO. they kept playing till i was 10 meters from them. So i decided to beep and accelerate. Only then did they get off the road to let me pass. I toldem where to go.

Came back the opposite way 30mins later and still playing soccer on a busy road. This time they had their mummies with em.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:18 PM   #12
chief
FTF Club Moderator

The pedestrians think the paint on the road will save their life.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 03:26 PM   #13
Grum
Bringing the Spartan back

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Harrold Scruby is a ******, he has caused all of this and deserves to be run over end of story!
Grum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 03:29 PM   #14
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
The pedestrians think the paint on the road will save their life.
Or that because we are legally required to give way they will just step out without looking.

I always make sure cars are stopped before crossing and I don't take all ******* day either!
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:09 PM   #15
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah come up castle hill.......3 abreast and most never move....trust me its scratched and dented falcon or run/knock you off the cliff.....either way i lose both ways

walking on the road in the middle and crossing a ped crossing is COMPLETELY different

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #16
I_Con
Formally known as "Con G"

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

To the guys that say the driver will automatically get blamed for any car - pedestrian mishap is wrong. I had a friend hit a guy in Hustville and put him in hospital because he stepped out without looking. After the guy got out of hospital my friend chased up and got money for damages to his car. No charges were ever laid.

If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Click here to see my Territory Pics.
Click here to see my Navara Pics

I_Con is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 04:55 PM   #17
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm with you....with the way things are going now, I could walk in the middle of the freeway, and if I get killed, it still wouldn't be my fault.
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 05:32 PM   #18
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homer1
I'm with you....with the way things are going now, I could walk in the middle of the freeway, and if I get killed, it still wouldn't be my fault.
thats where your wrong....wtf are you doing in the middle of a freeway when cars are doing 100kph or there abouts they arent going to stop in time...its your own fault.... the road is primarily designed for traffic IE cars and vehicles pedestrians 2nd, if you walked out in front of a car without looking thats your own fault and deserve getting hit and i doubt the driver would be in any trouble besides shaken up.....if hit at a ped crossing then driver is goneskies

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 05:56 PM   #19
digitalpunk

I drive through the Sydney CBD every day and people crossing the road are sometimes reminiscent of wild animals crossing the land. It seems people group together in herds then at any given point in time they will all cross the busy road with none of them looking to see if any cars are coming (it won't matter there is a crossing 10 metres up the road, or even a set of lights). Cars coming from both directions must stop for them because they are usually in a pack of 10-50. Worse still are the willy nillies, they are the people who are walking or riding on their own and feel obliged to, without looking, just cross the road at any given point in time. At times the driver slams the brakes or beeps the horn to let them know a vehicle is coming, but instead of going back to the side of the road they came from (if that is the closest side and safest side to get out of the way) they decide to take their life into their own hands and race across to the other side of the road as fast as they can.
digitalpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 06:21 PM   #20
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauljh74
I was going to my local supermarket doing my shopping tonight, I pull into the car park and see 3 people walking down the MIDDLE of the 2 way ROADway in the car park. I came to an almost complete stop waiting for them to move to the side. 2 of them turned around, saw me coming and proceeded to continue walking down the middle, the other actually did the right thing and moved to one side. I was about to drive by them when she did this so I was just getting on the throttle a little and letting the clutch out when I had to dip the clutch again and it appeared I was revving the engine at them. Then I just drove past them and the guy is yelling out at me as if I did something wrong.
I was patient - I gave them clear opportunity to move to the side - either side and they decided to be smartarses and block the road.
If I was going to run them over, I wouldn't have slowed down to begin with

I made sure to do a quick check when I left for any attacks on my car.
This really annoys me as well. Absolutely no consideration for anyone else. Funnily enough, I bet these are also the same people who would beep you and rev their engine hard and pretend to run you over if you do the same to them.

Another thing that really annoys me are the idiot parents who take their children across the road when they are only 10-15 meters away from a proper PAINTED PEDESTRIAN CROSSING!!!!! No wonder kids are getting run over! They aren't even taught where it is safe to cross.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 07:55 PM   #21
Homer1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALCONSR
thats where your wrong....wtf are you doing in the middle of a freeway when cars are doing 100kph or there abouts they arent going to stop in time...its your own fault.... the road is primarily designed for traffic IE cars and vehicles pedestrians 2nd, if you walked out in front of a car without looking thats your own fault and deserve getting hit and i doubt the driver would be in any trouble besides shaken up.....if hit at a ped crossing then driver is goneskies
Of course I wouldn't be walking in the middle of the fwy....was just trying to make a point _
Homer1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-03-2007, 08:45 PM   #22
red_october
Go on, be a monkey....

I think it's called 'lack of common sense'. Usually people who prove they don't have common sense get protection from do-gooders.
red_october is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post