Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 08-04-2007, 09:18 PM   #1
orangemk1
Starter Motor

Default festiva gearbox

to me fiestas are the closest thing to festivas am about to get a 93? festiva but the automatic is stuffed so i i am looking for another transmission maybe manual if there cheaper.

orangemk1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #2
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

: :
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 11:45 AM   #3
kiwijohn42
Death B4 Decaf

Changing an auto for a manual will cost a whole lot more than a recon auto. It's a big job, I did it in a 71 Capri, which was really easy to work on. Doing it on a 93 Festiva would probably cost more than the car is worth.
Old 09-04-2007, 01:31 PM   #4
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In all honesty unless you're getting it for free then it wouldn't be worth the trouble. They were made by Kia and not the best made or handling vehicle. They're not worth anything secondhand either....
Old 09-04-2007, 06:48 PM   #5
orangemk1
Starter Motor

im gettin it 4 free a friend said that a transmission reconditioning it costs around $8,000 and i dont want to fork out that much so i thought it might just be easier to make it manual
Old 09-04-2007, 10:25 PM   #6
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have thought $8000 would have bought you a new auto trans- not a reco !?! :

It would certainly get you a mint condition Festiva with at least a couple of grand left over!
Old 10-04-2007, 12:25 AM   #7
Danny
GT4.

8 Grand for a 93 model 3 speed auto Festiva Reco. They (the cars themselves) weren't even that much when new!!! well close anyways
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 07:50 PM   #8
orangemk1
Starter Motor

so i would be better off just onselling it? might get more for it than what a new transmission would cost cause it has 6 months regastration. does any one know what there worth with a stuffed transmission

Last edited by orangemk1; 10-04-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:08 PM   #9
robjh80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemk1
so i would be better off just onselling it?
: "Now listen up to the lesson fella"

You do not spend $8000 on an asset that is only worth approximately half of that,...... it's called false economy.

Your getting it for free, sell it for what you can get, put that money with the $8k you would have otherwise wasted on repairing the old Festiva and put the total towards getting a decent car.
robjh80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 09:35 PM   #10
murcod
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Or, go to a wrecker and get the cheapest nastiest Festiva auto trans you can find, wack it in and then sell it. ;)

You'll get a lot more for it if it's a working proposition- but make sure you do all your sums first and can make a definite profit.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:49 AM   #11
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemk1
im gettin it 4 free a friend said that a transmission reconditioning it costs around $8,000 and i dont want to fork out that much so i thought it might just be easier to make it manual
Are you sure its 8k for a reco? I changed the 3 spd auto on my 1990 Laser a few years ago and it cost me 1500 bucks for a reco. Surely it would be about that figure for a Festiva.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #12
orangemk1
Starter Motor

picked up the car took it off the trailer and jump started it as the battery was flat got it going nothing wrong with the transmission its just that the radiator is blocked so looking for one of them now