Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-06-2005, 10:33 PM   #31
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
Any E-series V8 owners wish to bring this up regarding how our engines breathe when stock? (not talking filters here either)

Whoops, too late!

-Dave-

Exactly my point, V8's are heavy breathers so that's why FORD put in high flow K&N filters at the factory.

Cheers

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
X-Force 2.5in Sports Exhaust
Champion STEEL igntion leads
K&N panel filter, EL GT Snorkel, modified airbox
16in Speedy Holotype-R mags on 225 tyres
jjj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:47 PM   #32
stockstandard
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do you know that the stock intake system on the I6 engines outflows the heads?
(according to an ex-ford employee on another forum)

Do you know that the "heavy breathing" V8's have far more restrictive intakes than the 6's (smaller throttle bodies + MAF's)?

Do you know that the redesigned later model (AU) airbox's are more restrictive than EF/EL boxes? (ford going backwards?)
stockstandard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 10:56 PM   #33
sphell
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMO you might get a few kw's from a filter, but that's hardly noticable on the street. Not to say they don't do anything but like other people have said, I think alot of it is in your head. If you gave me a drive of your car with the stocko filter then with the K&N I don't reckon I'd notice a diff.
sphell is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-06-2005, 11:10 PM   #34
jjj

I should be a sales rep for K&N, I think i am the only one in australia that think there any good. Oh well, everybody is entitled to their own opinion about the product. I got a gain, but we will leave this thread alone now because it's going no where fast.

Maybe someone can set up a poll, with this question;

Has the installation of a high flow air cleaner eg. (K&N, Unifilter, BMC, Splitfire, Redline, Red Dragon, SS induction Big Mouth). Given an increase in throttle response and/or performance from the standard paper filter.Then put across all ford-forum members so we get a guide to 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl cars.

Cheers Luke.

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
Old 01-06-2005, 11:41 PM   #35
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

.... HM... if you can justify the cost then alls sweet.... but id rather a ryco filter, 6 spark plugs, and some oil and filter for the same cost.. :>
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 12:17 AM   #36
needturbo6
ooga-lagga-ligga-lagga

lets not compare different cars here, as the car is a big factor.

from what ive read and heard everywhere, high flow panel filters on ef/els dont make much difference. im pretty sure street machine got 2kw's increase from replacing the filter but that could have been because of another factor.

fact is, the filter isnt very restrictive on the 4L motors, you get much better gains from fitting the bigger snorkels. ie modifed(into "single throat") xh snorkels and xr8/gt snorkels)

dynos arnt that good at measuring real world power either. especially when the only figure quoted is the top end gain. where prob 5-10% of street driving is done, ur only there for a millisecond before the gears are changed anyway.

plus dynos dont measure throttle response and very rarely, torque in a measurement unit thats widely known.

for eg. i put a modified xh snorkel on my stock rebuild 10,000km old eb2 4L. Gained much thottle response and torque which improved its performance by a noticable difference. if it was put on a dyno i doubt more than 2kw's top end gain would have been recorded over the stock snorkel, which doesnt say much at all but fact is, it did make a difference.

towards the k&n filter gain, i too think the filter was past its "use by date", or possibly a dodgy filter, what brand was the old filter?
needturbo6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 01:36 AM   #37
MickyB
Get in the ring!!!

I have a K&N filter and an XH snorkel in my car, and while I did these at the same time, I did the K&N before I did the XH snorkel on my old car and noticed better throttle response and slightly smoother running. As has been said earlier, probably a negligable increase in power, but better driving all round.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:49 AM   #38
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
How high were the km's on your cars?
VS V6 - 74,000k's
EL V8 - 112,000

EDIT: didn't realise Damo had already answered for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 09:53 AM   #39
ED Cobalt
The Apprentice

Cool

Good stuff man, i put a K&n in my new ED XR last month, at the same time did my plugs, replaced the old shitty ones with iridiums, then put the queensland ignition leads in it, changed all my engine, auto, lsd oil with the penzoil full synthetic stuff, now my car runs to the shit for a pretty much stocka. The beuaty of a good combination.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #40
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ED Cobalt
Good stuff man, i put a K&n in my new ED XR last month, at the same time did my plugs, replaced the old shitty ones with iridiums, then put the queensland ignition leads in it, changed all my engine, auto, lsd oil with the penzoil full synthetic stuff, now my car runs to the shit for a pretty much stocka. The beuaty of a good combination.

It's good to hear you had a good result with the change over of new parts and oil.

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
Old 02-06-2005, 10:05 AM   #41
jjj

Quote:
Originally Posted by needturbo6
lets not compare different cars here, as the car is a big factor.

from what ive read and heard everywhere, high flow panel filters on ef/els dont make much difference. im pretty sure street machine got 2kw's increase from replacing the filter but that could have been because of another factor.

fact is, the filter isnt very restrictive on the 4L motors, you get much better gains from fitting the bigger snorkels. ie modifed(into "single throat") xh snorkels and xr8/gt snorkels)

dynos arnt that good at measuring real world power either. especially when the only figure quoted is the top end gain. where prob 5-10% of street driving is done, ur only there for a millisecond before the gears are changed anyway.

plus dynos dont measure throttle response and very rarely, torque in a measurement unit thats widely known.

for eg. i put a modified xh snorkel on my stock rebuild 10,000km old eb2 4L. Gained much thottle response and torque which improved its performance by a noticable difference. if it was put on a dyno i doubt more than 2kw's top end gain would have been recorded over the stock snorkel, which doesnt say much at all but fact is, it did make a difference.

towards the k&n filter gain, i too think the filter was past its "use by date", or possibly a dodgy filter, what brand was the old filter?

The old paper filter was a Valvoline "you know what I mean". 12 wks old.

Pacemaker 4499's
Megaflow 2.5in Cat
Old 02-06-2005, 11:14 AM   #42
AdzT3-146
own the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjj
Has the installation of a high flow air cleaner eg. (K&N, Unifilter, BMC, Splitfire, Redline, Red Dragon, SS induction Big Mouth). Given an increase in throttle response and/or performance from the standard paper filter.Then put across all ford-forum members so we get a guide to 4cyl, 6cyl and 8cyl cars.

Cheers Luke.
i'm getting the SS induction Big Mouth on saturday, so i should be able to give you response then.
T3 TE50 #146

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNR8D
Id rather date a goat with syphilous then drive a maloo.
AdzT3-146 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-06-2005, 11:22 AM   #43
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

What I was getting at was that Ford doesn't necessarily put the best quality/most expensive parts into their cars.

OK, I spose Ford kind of had a reason for the tiny extractors & the HO/E7 combo for the 5.0... To give the 302 a similar low-down feel to the 351s of yesteryear (supposedly). I spose mine feels similar to a mate's 351, & they pull similar times on the track. But then again I might not have driven his properly, after all his accellerator had the biggest goddamn spring on the pedal!

-Dave-
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post