Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What is the main issue with young driver accident rate:
Lack of driver skills 58 34.94%
Poor or wreckless Driving Attitude and Behaviour 108 65.06%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old 18-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #91
gozza

Probably been said but For most young blokes its complacenty and machoism
Young girls its awareness.....so scared to drive they only focus on whats in front of them...Im sure theres young blokes the same but i wouldn't suspect many young girls ripping skids in there Matiz's
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 04:58 PM   #92
kocho
The Futuriser

I'm a P Plater.

I think its "Poor or wreckless Driving Attitude and Behaviour". You'll find its a lot of people trying to show off or impress people around them. Its a bit of both, really.

Previous 2003 BA Ford Futura.

CKGD - Freelance Graphic Designer
kocho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 08:32 PM   #93
boss-290

Perhaps its time to make the driving age older. Maybe 18 years old is too young?
Old 21-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #94
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
Perhaps its time to make the driving age older. Maybe 18 years old is too young?
I have thought about that, but there would be riots in the street.

Also, although P platers may make up a huge portion of the fatalities, from what I remember, over 65s are involved in the most accidents.
However, when you're chugging down the road in your Toyota Crown/Cressida/Camry/Crapbox at 40km/h on the freeday, it's hard to be killed when you tap a pole.

I support more rigorous testing. After being stuck behind that Camry 2.5 weeks ago (if we were in America, they'd have 2 blown tires via gunshots), it is clear that screening for competency is well below par.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 08:42 PM   #95
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Old thread, but my $0.02..

"Perhaps younger drivers would actually drive more carefully if they were driving cars in which they felt more vulnerable."

Maan, after getting my XT wagon with discs all round, i know what you mean. Makes you appreciate space on the roads so much more (not that other drivers do, they love cutting in front last second under brakes).
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 08:47 PM   #96
Ryan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss-290
IMO it's the individual who decides what actions they take, not their age.

I know 20+ years olds that act as if they just participated in a F&TF movie scene.

Although I admit when I was that age I done alot of stupid things, due to peer pressure, and immaturity.

So in a way I could see the argument in raising the age in that respect, but that's the age most of us start work at, and not everyone has access to public transport.

Meh I don't know. Maybe it's better off to walk.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #97
Green X
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Some people are just idiots and don't learn even thou you think they would.

I.E
Young guy who used to work with us.

I had too pull his VR commodore out of a ditch with my 4WD after he lost it on a gravel road going too fast

he then got a VN V8 Statesman, thrashed it to with in a inch of it's life and Buggered up the rear guards doing burnouts

Then Got a supercharged V8 VR Ute, just rote it off last week being a Beep head

also had a Yamaha Banchie 4 Wheeler, Crashed that as well

40K worth of debt and you would think the Beep would of learnt, but nope not a thing .

I am 22 have a XR6T, 4WD and a motorbike, have never had a crash or smashed up any of my cars, yes I do occasionally give the T a bit of curry and do a skid or 2 and bash around in the 4By but I am sensible about it.

One thing that stands out is when these people stuff up, they never accept it as it is 100% there fault and were being a tool.

So to answer your question
1. Inexperience, But there is only one way to get more experience
2. Not being trained properly, Sort a comes under No1
3. Showing off/ Just having some fun, Most people go thou this faze and grow out of it.
4. Some Ppl are just Twates and don't learn!!!!
Old 21-08-2007, 09:19 PM   #98
Van D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

PS. In my post i meant drums, not discs :P

Green X, gotta agree with number 4.
Holden made the decision to make thier utes for pretty boys years ago. Wannabe tradesman drive them. If my son came home and told me he bought a holden ute I would struggle to come to grips with the fact he is a homosexual.
Van D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2007, 11:49 PM   #99
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

as all has been said some people will never be good drivers young or old its not experience even though it helps . i live on the so called hell highway all the people complain about the half dozen corners in 200 kms they know they are there so what gives nothing thats what . they are late they need to be there first they cant follow trucks whatever its just they will never be a good driver i would not let my wife get her opens for 6 years with her being a better driver than most not till i believed she could dodge the bad ones she thanks me for that and fingers crossed will never be a statistic i wish that the training was more strick better testing or whatever cause i look at so many on the road and think how long till its them . power speed all irrevelent if your an idiot
Old 22-08-2007, 01:49 PM   #100
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

For anybody who has read the RTA road design guide you will find that statistically the most worrying concern for the future are older drivers. Case closed.

I think the problem is that the Government is manipulating statistics to try and prove a point. You know distract us from war on terror, interest rates, degrading schools and hospitals etc.

It's like how statistics showing that the more churches a town has the more crime. It's simple mathematic manipulation.

They are saying that P plater accidents have increased exponentially over the past couple of years. Well duh the number of p platers have increased because they brang in graduated licencing.

The statistics also ignore the number of accidents from unlicenced youth and the number who weren't drivers but passengers in parents cars who had an accident etc.

There is no problem the only thing that has changed is the advent of the ricer crew who have made P platers VERY visible and ****ed everybody off.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 07:42 PM   #101
ELtim
Six One Eight

As a young driver myself I can see the difference in maturity. I'm more of an observant kid. I've seen the effects of what a car crash can do to a family and I really don't want to be the cause of this.

A lot of kids these days think that they're invincible and can drive like Craig Lowndes. I think what needs to happen is for these kids to be put in a situation and show them just how in-experienced they are and show them face to face with a mangled corpse to show what their ignorant behaviour can do.

For Sale: Year Old Gas System
http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=2644272#post2644272
ELtim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 07:49 PM   #102
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
As the title says, what do you think is the main issue?
What issue? The number of crashes for 17-25 year olds is the same (roughly) as that of men in their mid-30's to mid 40's. The only "issue" is the media beating up on them and making a frenzy.

"Damn P Plate Hoons"
"Young Hoons"
"Inexperienced Young Drivers"

If inexperience was true why are the number of crashes almost the same as men in their 40's? Load of crock.

*edit* just realised this is an old thread... woops :
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2007, 07:51 PM   #103
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by clontarf_x
What issue? The number of crashes for 17-25 year olds is the same (roughly) as that of men in their mid-30's to mid 40's. The only "issue" is the media beating up on them and making a frenzy.
:
Absolute rubbish....its nearly double.

Old 22-08-2007, 08:46 PM   #104
herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELtim
As a young driver myself I can see the difference in maturity. I'm more of an observant kid. I've seen the effects of what a car crash can do to a family and I really don't want to be the cause of this.

A lot of kids these days think that they're invincible and can drive like Craig Lowndes. I think what needs to happen is for these kids to be put in a situation and show them just how in-experienced they are and show them face to face with a mangled corpse to show what their ignorant behaviour can do.
The bogan mates in the back egging the kid in the driver's seat on doesn't help either.
Old 22-08-2007, 09:38 PM   #105
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbs
The bogan mates in the back egging the kid in the driver's seat on doesn't help either.
that easy you let the bogans walk
Old 22-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #106
herbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyQLD
that easy you let the bogans walk
Yeah well that's true, but peer pressure means a lot in these situations unfortunately. I've got the guts to say no, pity a lot more out there don't.
Old 07-12-2007, 04:20 AM   #107
Dan1990EA
Low profiles

there are many and various different reasons why younger drivers (Which i am one) is lack of experience, training, and basic stupidity.

However NSW's new laws for P Platers do nothing to protect them or help them gain the skills needed, for instance imposing a ban on drivers carrying more than 1 passenger after 11pm are simply insane, yes it stops 5 fatalities in an fatal accident but it puts 4 other inexperienced drivers on the road at the same time.

secondly having a P plate CLEARLY displayed wont do ***T to bring down the death toll i mean really, in an accident do you look at the car thats about to hit you and think oh no its a p plater, and swerve to avoid it, or do you see them and think ***T they are going to hit?

Unless its a crumple zone / airbag p plate i see no point except to help police identify targets to pull over and harass.

(and yes it does happen, we drive an EA that is lowered, and has extractors and they constantly pull us over and look for something to defect us on).

I mean really, if you dont teach people how to get themselves out of trouble, when in a certain situation (spinning out) then how can you expect them to know how to recover.

At the same time i dont agree with thier rules on turbo's, super charged, v8 and all that because really what car will they drive (mum n dads) which will more than likely be a nice new V8 with airbags and crumple zones. With these new laws it will now be a gemmi or some other rat rocket with no airbags and crumple zones meant laminated windows.

They also say a Turbo diesol is ok, but all porche vehicles can not be driven by a p plater yet porche did bring out only 1 turbo diesol in thier entire history, luckily it is widely unknown, and largely fogotten by the masses. i think it was in production for only 6 mths

anyway my point is education is the key to better performance, more understanding, and sharper skills.

Dont charge the kids more insurance send them on an advanced driving course!

i think they should be mandatory for all drivers!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:32 PM   #108
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

alot of p-platers are not educated properly on the handling of a car, usually by over protective mums which yell every time you hit 2 kays over the limit and never let you drive in traffic.

There needs to be a mandatory driver training program for a day for every L-plater that is trying to get their p's, just like motorvation which teaches the skills needed to drive in the wet etc. im doing my course some time soon and soon after that stage 2.. if only i had an LSD though lol
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post