Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation NISSAN Interested in FORD ?????

Nissan still sees a partnership with a North American auto company as good for its long-term strategy, but the Japanese automaker isn't in any talks now, Chief Executive Carlos Ghosn said Thursday.

Nissan Motor Co. has a nine-year alliance with Renault SA of France, which Ghosn said was working well. He pointed to shared research costs on ecological technology such as electric cars and joint projects to build cars in new markets such as India and Morocco.

Ghosn, who is also Renault's chief executive, has long thought that adding a partner from North America to solidify its position there to its Asian-European alliance makes sense, he said.

"This is for the long term," he told The Associated Press at Nissan's Tokyo headquarters. "But when it comes, then you will know we have been consistent."

He declined to say when a third partner may be added and refused to elaborate on the prospective partners, General Motors Corp., Ford Motor Co. or Chrysler LLC.

Nissan, Japan's No. 3 automaker, was in talks with GM in 2006, but they fell part. Earlier this year, Nissan reached a deal with Chrysler, under which Nissan will supply cars to Chrysler for sale in South America next year.

Details of the terms weren't released but Nissan has said that there may be more agreements with Chrysler. There have also been reports of Nissan's talks with Ford, although that has not produced any results.

Ghosn has said Nissan has no interest Ford's brands, such as Jaguar and Land Rover. Tata Motors Ltd. of India has been named the preferred bidder for those businesses.

Nissan's North American business has done well lately even as the U.S. auto market is stagnant amid a credit crunch and soaring gas prices. Nissan's U.S. vehicle sales last year rose 5.4 percent to 1.1 million units.

Ghosn was sent to Japan by Renault in 1999, when the cross-Atlantic alliance began. He has steered a remarkable turnaround at Nissan from near bankruptcy to profitability and growth.

Nissan is expecting to post a 480 billion yen ($4.5 billion) profit for the fiscal year ending March 31.

In contrast, U.S. automakers have been struggling. GM reported a $38.7 billion loss for 2007 - the largest annual loss ever for an automotive company, while Ford lost $2.7 billion last year. Daimler AG sold a controlling stake in money-losing Chrysler last year to New York private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management LP.

Old 28-02-2008, 09:51 PM   #2
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.....

Well actually I wouldn't care if it meant Ford Aus would still keep making RWD cars at least. I would hate for Ni-san to get in and then tell Ford Aus to can the RWD car and focus on making FWD shopping carts for girls to drive
Old 28-02-2008, 10:31 PM   #3
XD 351 Ute
Excessive Fuel Ingestion

Beauty. More Nissan / Ford XFN utes again!

Ed
XD 351 Ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2008, 11:43 PM   #4
asusdragon
BA Falcon XT

would that mean i could go buy a FG Phoon GTR (F6 still a phoon to me) that could do 11sec 1/4mile stock interesting, would be interesting in aftermarket stuff though, however wouldnt really like they getting to envoled in Aus Ford i like my Falocn RWD and a good size 6

Quote:
If you can't fix it with a hammer. you're got an electrical problem
Quote:
You only need two tools in life - WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40, If it shouldnt move and does, use the duct tape

Last edited by asusdragon; 28-02-2008 at 11:55 PM.
asusdragon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 08:22 AM   #5
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

i think it would brilliant for ford if we had carlos ghosn in charge.
Old 29-02-2008, 08:53 AM   #6
MRJUCY
Fordless

Nissan are a good example of a turn around only a few years ago they were completely broke, Renault bought them after just about every other car company wrote them off as a basket case but they've been turning it around ever since.
MRJUCY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 12:40 PM   #7
ABoringUsername

The experiences of their management could be extremely valualbe for a company like Ford.
ABoringUsername is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 01:29 PM   #8
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A rebodied GTR sounds like a good idea to me.
Mighty Reds is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 01:34 PM   #9
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Carlos Ghosn would benefit Ford greatly. His cut throat approach to turning around Nissan is what Ford need, no dancing around, just get straight to it.
Wretched is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 04:15 PM   #10
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

I'll only accept them if they leave Ford Aus with what they are doing... maybe give em the same V6 that is in the GTR for the 2010 F6??? :
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 04:19 PM   #11
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordman6
I'll only accept them if they leave Ford Aus with what they are doing... maybe give em the same V6 that is in the GTR for the 2010 F6??? :
The N/A V6 (from the V37 Skyline) for the Falcon wouldn't be too bad either! Now at 3.7litres and over 220kW... they could live in the XR6.

And the 206kW 3.5litre could go in the XT.

Not a bad arrangement, eh?
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Steffo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 04:36 PM   #12
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

This could be a very good thing if it was to happen, could get a FG GT-HO with lots of goodies and specs from the new GT-R!!! :
Old 29-02-2008, 05:02 PM   #13
hy_boi
Alan! Alan! Alan!

No one really read that did they, far as I could tell they have no interest in ford and any talks that have happen have produced no results with ford, looks like it'll all be happening with chrysler.
hy_boi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 06:58 PM   #14
fou_bleu
Get EcoBoosted

Nah mate, we are only dreaming...
fou_bleu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-02-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Carlos Ghosn would benefit Ford greatly. His cut throat approach to turning around Nissan is what Ford need, no dancing around, just get straight to it.
I think you will find that Alan Mullaly is doing a similar job to Ford right now.

Ford are getting rid of lots of product they don't need or want, reducing excess capacity in the US by closing plenty of facilities and making the hard choices. Ford are also adding to capacity to it elsewhere.

Alan Mullaly is also driving the cohesion of all the diverse groups within Ford worldwide and pushing them in a unified direction. Those managers etc that don't want to, they are getting fired. He is also seeking to reward those managers and business groups that do it well to take leadership in those areas.

Unlike Nissan of the time, Ford have some really great product.

Ford are on the right track.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 12:37 AM   #16
AusM
AusMotorsport

Maverick/Patrol part 2!
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post