Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-03-2008, 09:50 PM   #1
5_speed

Default Keeping my Falcon - but need advise re: Subaru Liberty

Well, my EF and I have been through a lot together, a lot of money that is!!

I was very close to selling her to get a car that was a bit more practical for me. Lowered cars with body kits do not like camping grounds or off fire trails leading to good mountain biking venues...

So I have decided to keep her and buy a daily driver. I first looked at another EF wagon, but is was a disgrase to say the least. I have looked at some others but they weren't to my liking.

As I originally wanted a Forester when I was going to sell the Falcon, I started looking at cheaper Subarus.

So, I found a:
1996 Liberty AWD RX wagon
213K kms (as longas the belts have been changed this should be ok)
Auto (I'm not too fussed - it is for daily driving)
Clean as a whistle with all service history receipts
Gurgling noise from the dash when putting foot down (that I have learnt is the heater core and not to be worried about - tell me if I am wrong)

It's not a Ford (but I'll be keeping mine so that's ok), does anyone have any experience with these cars? Any bad traits about them? See seem to get good second hand reviews on drive.com.au.

I just want to be armed with as much information as I can be when I make the final decision.

Thanks for any advise.

5_speed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
Matty4
Banana

They are a pretty good, reliable car. AWD will help you get to those trails a bit safer too.
Check here also
http://www.ozliberty.com/forums/index.php?
Old 01-03-2008, 10:11 PM   #3
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Subies are pretty tough, this is how they come off when trying to do a U turn into the side of a KW.

Driver and passenger both walked away.

Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
5_speed

Yeah, I have heard good things about them.
I hear when they let go though, you're really up for it $$ wise.

This one looks like it have been fastidiously looked after, has the reciepts to back it up too.

I tried to get onto OzLiberty, but couldn't submit my registration.

Anyway, probably going to check the car out again tomorrow.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:02 AM   #5
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Liberty's are a good car. Know a guy that is VERY happy with his. They do chew fuel apparently (but what car doesn't) so you might want to check that out!
Old 02-03-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
BHDOGS
Banned

subies suck why dont ya save your money and raise your car to a more normal height and spend the change on a turbo
BHDOGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:17 AM   #7
Need_a_V8

I have a 96 Liberty, though it is a sedan not a wagon.

They're a very easy car to drive and the AWD is good. The gurgling noise in the dash is the heater core, and it happens in alot of the 2gen liberties but im not sure why... Doesnt cause any issues though.

They're a great car, I average about 10L per 100km around town with a heavy foot.

Very reliable, quite cheap to maintain. Brake well, drive well.

I bought mine as a daily driver while im working on my project car, but i'll be upgrading to a 4gen at the end of the year. They're a hard car to get past after you drive one for a while, they really grow on you.
Need_a_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #8
guy351
Mr EFicient

the gurgling noise could be a restriction in the coils of the heater core from a build up of sh!t from the motor and when it is under pressure it bubbles or gurgles. just get it flushed and it should go away.
guy351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 11:59 AM   #9
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BHDOGS
subies suck why dont ya save your money and raise your car to a more normal height and spend the change on a turbo
: there's one in every thread :rolleyes:

Have had a MY06 from new, can't fault it !
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 12:00 PM   #10
cupic
Nikon

Bit on the rich side but currently Subaru 2.5i 2008 model are @ 32990 +sat nav drive away price

Mind you service accessories will kill you but car over all is superb
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 12:08 PM   #11
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupic
Bit on the rich side but currently Subaru 2.5i 2008 model are @ 32990 +sat nav drive away price

Mind you service accessories will kill you but car over all is superb
I wonder how much trade in they would give me for my WRX. That's got me thinking now
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #12
cupic
Nikon

Depends on Model yr kms but assuming your WRx is less than 4yrs no more than 5k if that on changeover
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 02:35 PM   #13
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

Paid under $35k drive away with Satnav for my '07 2.0R last June, great car but main dealer services are pricey...try $257 for an oil filter service.
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 06:04 PM   #14
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Ill sell you my 91 nissan pathfinder if you want, that goes anywhere lol!
Old 02-03-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
V8falcons
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5_speed
Well, my EF and I have been through a lot together, a lot of money that is!!

I was very close to selling her to get a car that was a bit more practical for me. Lowered cars with body kits do not like camping grounds or off fire trails leading to good mountain biking venues...

So I have decided to keep her and buy a daily driver. I first looked at another EF wagon, but is was a disgrase to say the least. I have looked at some others but they weren't to my liking.

As I originally wanted a Forester when I was going to sell the Falcon, I started looking at cheaper Subarus.

So, I found a:
1996 Liberty AWD RX wagon
213K kms (as longas the belts have been changed this should be ok)
Auto (I'm not too fussed - it is for daily driving)
Clean as a whistle with all service history receipts
Gurgling noise from the dash when putting foot down (that I have learnt is the heater core and not to be worried about - tell me if I am wrong)

It's not a Ford (but I'll be keeping mine so that's ok), does anyone have any experience with these cars? Any bad traits about them? See seem to get good second hand reviews on drive.com.au.

I just want to be armed with as much information as I can be when I make the final decision.

Thanks for any advise.
Good on you for keeping the falcon,as for the subaru,Ive had 4 subarus various engine,models etc.........

I can not stress enough, about the 2.2ltr and 2.5ltr quad cam gen2 engines,if it hasnt already done one,i can assure you it will blow a head gasket/s,and they cost a motsa to have repaired,its cheaper to fit a gen 3(new block and head design) ,2.5ltr from a MY98 on.The 2ltr is abit under powered in the basic liberties.The timing belt must be done every 100k and expect a $500-900 bill depending on how well you know the guys,
High klm/older flat fours cars will also have noisey lifters,but the gen 3 engines family seams to have stood the test of time so far for that problem.
Every thing else in the drive train is very good,Ive spent abit of time in the these cars/and researching them ,do your self a favour and go and check out some suabru forums.
Other than that ,I love subarus and the 2.5ltr has some nice torque,but try for a Manual as the auto absorbs a lot of power.
good luck with the search.My misses still wants a subaru,but for now we will keep an all ford stable until the funds allow for an upgrade.
V8falcons is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM   #16
AusM
AusMotorsport

wrx.com.au has forums too with plenty of Liberty owners...

I remember universals being a common wear point on the early 90s models, dunno about mid-90s, but with any AWD it's worth checking. I guess looking for other dirt road wear would be worthwhile given the way a lot of these cars get used on weekends!
AusM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2008, 09:38 PM   #17
5_speed

Well, I decided not to go ahead with the purchase.

Good thing too as when I got home there was a notice saying that quotes / work was going to be done to re-service the driveway of the unit block that I live in - looks like the money I was going to use has been allocated out of my control

Was very close though, such a nice car.
Good points raised about servicing, that was one of my concerns.
Thanks for all the advise.

Till next time...