Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 14-08-2008, 07:52 AM   #61
Feathers
Lucifer's Angel

Well we shall agree to disagree, as I believe the retired senior sarge with 34 years experience to be a more reliable source of information than someone I don't know, posting on the internet.

Not having a go at you personally, just don't see the point of continuing to argue when we shall never agree.
Blueprint, manual, 4490's, Redback 2.5" dual exhaust, BA Typhoon rims, tint, fog light covers, BF tailights, blue illuminated window switches, Ghia bootlid carpet, lower grille, FPV door spears, steering wheel & interior bits, XR6T + F6 intake, K&N filter, Typhoon spoiler, tuned, sway bars, custom angel eyes & plates..YUM!

If there's one thing guys in Holdens hate more than being beaten by a Ford...
It's being beaten by a girl driving a Ford
Feathers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 11:18 AM   #62
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathers
Well we shall agree to disagree, as I believe the retired senior sarge with 34 years experience to be a more reliable source of information than someone I don't know, posting on the internet.

Not having a go at you personally, just don't see the point of continuing to argue when we shall never agree.
and i will belive a magistrate who makes the decisions and has a law degree over a local cop

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 12:41 PM   #63
LTDHO
The one and only

Nothing worse than impatient driver/riders.

Servos are no thoroughfares and should never be used as one.

It makes the area of the servo unsafe when there are people walking to and from their cars.

Those who cut through are dangerous and do not deserve a licence. Scum.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 01:17 PM   #64
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

i am amazed at how perfect everyone in this world seems to be. they never make errors or mistakes, are never arrogant or impatient. i must be the odd one out
most things in life are simple. they can be done safely or dangerously. i would not like to do the job "full noise" did/does, simiply because most people choose the dangerous way or at the very least they do not choose the safe way
i do agree though, that going through servo's adds unnecessary danger to those working in/at or using the servos facilities. it does not make heaps of sense to me to cut through one - it does not realistically save much time (if any) and can add a danger factor that is not worth the risk

however as with most things, it can be done in a safe manner - unfortunately most people do not like to take the time to ensure the maximum potential for safety
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2008, 03:47 PM   #65
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cut through servo's. Not due to the impatience of the light.

But due to the lack of tolerance I have for other drivers.
Way over half of the drivers here in VIC have some obsession with hugging the right lane and going 10-15km under the limit. Happens in the other lanes too and before you know it they've created a roadblock in front of you. Happens to me a heap and most of them are morons driving Astra's.

If I can avoid getting blocked behind these people I will. And no I don't speed through servo's.

Also my job works under a fast environment and doesn't help when you get fools out there slowing you down breaking the road rules. How hard is it to read Keep left signs that are erected every 10 meters?

If the right lane was used as an overtaking lane as it should be I wouldn't have to take shortcuts.
Old 14-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #66
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
i am amazed at how perfect everyone in this world seems to be. they never make errors or mistakes, are never arrogant or impatient. i must be the odd one out
most things in life are simple. they can be done safely or dangerously. i would not like to do the job "full noise" did/does, simiply because most people choose the dangerous way or at the very least they do not choose the safe way
i do agree though, that going through servo's adds unnecessary danger to those working in/at or using the servos facilities. it does not make heaps of sense to me to cut through one - it does not realistically save much time (if any) and can add a danger factor that is not worth the risk

however as with most things, it can be done in a safe manner - unfortunately most people do not like to take the time to ensure the maximum potential for safety
No your not the lone wolf ....... agree with you Gary. I proberly have done it 5 times in 25 years of driving and can honestly say that ANYONE standing, walking, filling tanks wouldnt know if I was there to fill up, buy a coke or passing through. I have even gone into stations, changed my mind for 1 reason or another and drove out ...... oh my god.

If the discussion had been "Do you speed through petrol stations to avoid the lights and save 10 seconds?" there would be a couple above that would say yes but a different argument would have followed.

If I follow some postings above, everyone who goes through a station and not stopping are doing so recklessly, flat knackered with total gay abandon, knocking over everyone else in the way. (there would be some I am sure) Some actually do this, but after they stop, fill up, buy something and then take off stupidly after a purchase! No .... I haven't done this.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2008, 01:12 PM   #67
colossus
Secret Sleuth

I do it regularly at a particular set of lights that take ages to change. So what - please tell me how its illegal and/or dangerous? "yes officer I pulled in, realised petrol was too expensive so drove out" how can they prove otherwise?

Have you never jaywalked, crept over the speed limit, watched a burnt DVD ect ect. Mr and Mrs Brady called and want their kids back.... :
Old 15-08-2008, 04:36 PM   #68
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
I do it regularly at a particular set of lights that take ages to change. So what - please tell me how its illegal and/or dangerous?
Read the whole thread.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 03:15 AM   #69
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossus
I do it regularly at a particular set of lights that take ages to change. So what - please tell me how its illegal and/or dangerous? "yes officer I pulled in, realised petrol was too expensive so drove out" how can they prove otherwise?

Have you never jaywalked, crept over the speed limit, watched a burnt DVD ect ect. Mr and Mrs Brady called and want their kids back.... :
Those lights probably take ages for a reason.

And I doubt it's even worth cutting through. You'd save 1 minute tops?
Old 16-08-2008, 04:14 PM   #70
AUIII

I don't do it normally, but years ago I was running late for work and there is a tyre place that is a old service station on the corner, I hesitated thinking should I or shouldn't I then went for it as I am driving through (slowly) a guy throws a massive tyre in front of the car blocking me and told me to **** off lol.

I then had to back out and try and rejoin the traffic again wasted about 10 mins and I was even later so I haven't tried it again lol.
Old 16-08-2008, 06:46 PM   #71
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUIII
I don't do it normally, but years ago I was running late for work and there is a tyre place that is a old service station on the corner, I hesitated thinking should I or shouldn't I then went for it as I am driving through (slowly) a guy throws a massive tyre in front of the car blocking me and told me to **** off lol.

I then had to back out and try and rejoin the traffic again wasted about 10 mins and I was even later so I haven't tried it again lol.
Told you to "**** off" Lucky you weren't going there to buy a new set of tyres! LOL
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 07:34 PM   #72
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Told you to "**** off" Lucky you weren't going there to buy a new set of tyres!

3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2008, 08:20 PM   #73
AUIII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser '81
Told you to "**** off" Lucky you weren't going there to buy a new set of tyres! LOL
It was before 7.00am and they hadn't opened, the guy was opening up and lots of people use it as a shortcut. I was going to get out inquire about a set of tyres but I was already running late as it was
Old 16-08-2008, 10:52 PM   #74
GUTLES
Adam.

I've seen the Burson's birds that we deal with at work do it heaps.

I've never had the need to do it tho.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #75
VSSII

People cut through service stations for the same reason others park in disabled parks/no standing bays, do U turns at lights etc etc. Because for whatever reason, doing the right thing would be an inconvenience and they will just be a second or nobody was coming etc etc.

I do about 70k's a year and can't say I really see it that much.
VSSII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2008, 12:22 PM   #76
broken_suave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I do not do this as a rule, however there is one instance where I used to do it every day.

When I was working nightshift cleaning, and I finnished work at 1:30am. There was one particular set of lights leading onto a large main road which is incredibly busy during the day, but dead at night. The lights are programmed to keep the lights green on the main road and only change when a car trips the sensor on the side road. However the delay for some reason does not change day to night. There is a 3 minute and 15 second delay from the time the car passes over the first sensor. Invariably I would wait for 3 minutes and 15 seconds, and not see 1 car.

After a week of this, I sent a letter to the council informing them of the situation. A few days later I'd had enough of waiting for all of the invisible traffic, so I started passing through the servo, which has its driveway about 10 metres from the first traffic light sensor.

My entry to the servo was the same as if I were stopping for fuel, and I merely rolled through the forecourt on the outside, stopping at the exit to check for traffic (the non invisible kind).

It actually got to the point were the bloke at the console would wave as I went past, as it was a 24Hr servo, and I would occasionaly stop in to buy something afterwork, and I got to know the bloke at the console. So obviously, he wasnt worried about my driving.

After a few months I recieved a letter back from the council thanking me for my letter, however due to the large volume of traffic though the particular intersection, it would be disadvantageous to change the light cycle. All this despite it being completely dead. I would have seen 10 cars in 2 years. 90% of those being cabs or police cars.

So I had a chuckle about that, but I continued to pass through the servo until I changed jobs recently. I do not beleive I was acting in a dangerous manner and despite it being about patience, I have to admit that after 9 hours of cleaning up other peoples mess, it gets very difficult sitting at a red light for several minutes, waiting for the possibilty that a car might come past, maybe.

Previously:
98 AU Futura 4.0 - Wildcat Extractors, 200cpsi Stainless Cat, Custom 2.5" Mandrel Bent Exhaust, Tickford Snorkel, Fram 'Airhog' Panel Filter - Daily

79 P6 LTD Silver Monarch - Project
broken_suave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2008, 05:22 AM   #77
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
After a few months I recieved a letter back from the council thanking me for my letter, however due to the large volume of traffic though the particular intersection, it would be disadvantageous to change the light cycle. All this despite it being completely dead. I would have seen 10 cars in 2 years. 90% of those being cabs or police cars.
The council would be talking about traffic during the day. To make the light work different at different times of day would require for the controller to be designed and which may require an upgrade of electronic equipment and this stuff wouldn't be a cheap upgrade. I'll assume that you would be the only one that wrote a letter in so it wouldn't be feasable to do it.
Old 21-08-2008, 09:55 AM   #78
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken_suave
I do not do this as a rule, however there is one instance where I used to do it every day.

When I was working nightshift cleaning, and I finnished work at 1:30am.
I am dead against servo shortcuts generally, but in the wee small hours of the morning with no-one else around, yeah I would do it taking it easy through there too.

Its a bit different to the Saturday morning warriors where there is traffic everywhere, loaded bases on the servo forecourt, and pedestrians all over the shop - yet they still blast through.
Old 21-08-2008, 11:57 PM   #79
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

i do it a lot, i'm impatient and i like to be in front, its a race.

i always win
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post