Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-04-2008, 08:06 PM   #1
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Default Selling a car interstate (QLD-VIC)

Hey guys, as the topic states, im selling my car and looks like it might be going to Vic, what forms will I be looking at organizing to make it a smooth transition?

whats needed?

I have a roadworty but due to KMS I need a new one, or will I need one as its going to vic?

Cheers

Mick

Zed7fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 PM   #2
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

hey mate i think you will find that you need a victorian road worthy certificate.
i assume you are tryna transfur the rego to vic?
you mite have a bit of trouble when it comes to the mods you have done tho. when i was looking at transfuring the rego from vic to qld on my old car, everything was pretty straight forward except the mods part!
good luck

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:22 PM   #3
Scott

You shouldn't need one as the car will be regd in VIC. Get paid and wave it good bye.

edit - or maybe you do?

http://transport.qld.gov.au/Home/Reg..._certificates/

Quote:
Safety certificates

What is a safety certificate?
In November 1999, the safety certificate replaced the roadworthy certificate. A safety certificate covers basic things that could affect the safe operation of the vehicle, such as:

tyres
brakes
steering
suspension
body rust or damage
windscreen
lights.
The safety certificate is designed to offer buyers better protection. A vehicle with a safety certificate has undergone a safety inspection before being offered for sale, so buyers can be sure the vehicle is safe to drive. This means there will be fewer unsafe vehicles on Queensland roads, reducing the likelihood of crashes caused by defective vehicles.

What vehicles must have a safety certificate?
In Queensland you must obtain and display a safety certificate on any registered light vehicle from the moment you offer the vehicle for sale. Vehicles include cars, motorbikes, caravans, trailers (0.75–3.50 tonne ATM {Aggregate Trailer Mass) and any other vehicles up to 4.5 tonnes GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass).

When can vehicles be sold without a safety certificate?
The only time vehicles do not require a certificate is when they are unregistered or when they are traded to, or between, licensed motor dealers. Vehicles can still be sold for parts or restoration, but they must be de-registered before being offered for sale.

Who issues safety certificates?
Safety certificates can only be issued by approved inspection stations. These are service stations, garages or workshops which have been approved by Queensland Transport to conduct inspections.

Does this apply all over Queensland?
You need a safety certificate to sell used vehicles in most parts of Queensland. Some rural and remote areas are exempt. Phone Queensland Transport on 13 23 80b for more information.

How long are safety certificates current for?
Make sure certificates are current. For dealers, certificates must have been issued in the three months or 1000 kilometres before sale—whichever comes first.

For private sellers, safety certificates must have been issued in the two months or 2000 kilometres before sale, whichever comes first. A new safety certificate is required each time you sell the vehicle even if it is within the two months or 2000 kilometres.

What are the safety certificate conditions of use?
A safety certificate cannot be used for more than one transfer. This means if you are selling a used vehicle and have obtained a safety certificate for this vehicle, the person who buys this vehicle cannot then use this certificate if they sell the vehicle. Also, the safety certificate cannot contain any alterations.

Displaying safety certificates
Safety certificates must be displayed in a very obvious place, for example:

motorbike—front forks or guard
car—windscreen or window
trailer—draw-bar.
If you fail to display a safety certificate on the vehicle from the moment you offer it for sale you will receive an on-the-spot fine of A$375.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2008, 10:30 PM   #4
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
You shouldn't need one as the car will be regd in VIC. Get paid and wave it good bye.
yeah its still a roadworthy certificate in vic not a safety cert. i believe you will find that a VICTORIAN certificate is required to pass for VICTORIAN rego...

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 07-04-2008, 10:58 PM   #5
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Yep when the new owner transfers the car into his/her name, they will need a Vic rwc to get it registered.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 01:20 AM   #6
prydey
Rob

you don't need to worry about anything. its up to the buyer to make sure everything is fine for the state he is in.

i bought my ba from qld and wasn't fussed whether it had rwc or not as they are not applicable in s.a. Same with my eb which i bought from nsw. there was a couple of things that didn't pass when i tried to re register it in s.a. and when i pointed out that it had a valid rwc they basically laughed and said it means squat.

as has been said, just take the money and wave good bye.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 07:15 AM   #7
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

what ever you do DONT leave plates and rego sticker on car,i traded my commodore in on a Fairlane in Victoria a while ago well on a trip from QLD,he told me he will send plates back into his RTA office, long story short i had to fill in stack decks at QLD transport every time i recieved a fine from car yard selling my old commodore with my QLD rego and QLD transport said there was nothing they could do to help me even though the car yard broke the law reselling with my rego.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 07:40 AM   #8
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

yep i took the plates off my old car, rang vicroads and canceled the rego and handed the plates in to qld transport..... still waiting on cheque

CURRENT
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS

See my car HERE
Old 08-04-2008, 08:44 AM   #9
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Ok sweet, thanks guys

what does the new owner do RE: driving car back with no plates? jsut trying to help them as much as possible
Old 08-04-2008, 09:33 AM   #10
prydey
Rob

i wouldn't remove plates mate! when you sell a car the new owner has 1 or 2 weeks to have it transferred into his name, whether its interstate or not. after that you can cancel the rego. when you sell a car here in s.a. there is a portion of the rego paper the new owner fills out complete with his drivers licence no. address etc etc. so there is evidence of sale.

also any remaining rego on the car goes to the new owner. when they cancel the rego and re register it in vic they then take the plates in to vicroads (or wherever you do rego in vic) and they will cancel them and give you a form to send to rta (nsw) to get refund for the rest of the rego. some fees and charges come out and you don't get the ctp portion back, just the rego fee.

if you cancel the rego before hand you are basically selling an unregistered car and the new buyer needs to be aware of that. if it was me buying it i'd want the price adjusted accordingly also.
Old 08-04-2008, 09:45 AM   #11
Scott

Mick, have a look at the transport.qld.gov.au site. There is a checklist page for sellers which includes a link to the form you need. The form comes in two parts, one that goes with the seller for his new rego and one that stays with you for you to give to transport up here that shows when you got rid of the car and who the new owner is. There is a section that addresses personalised plates and what to do.

I can't remember the details but if timing is too short, find out how much it will be to get your plates re-printed and get a deposit from the bloke to the same amount to make sure he sends them back.

here 'tis http://www.support.transport.qld.gov...tforms/QF3520/
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i wouldn't remove plates mate! when you sell a car the new owner has 1 or 2 weeks to have it transferred into his name, whether its interstate or not. after that you can cancel the rego. when you sell a car here in s.a. there is a portion of the rego paper the new owner fills out complete with his drivers licence no. address etc etc. so there is evidence of sale.

also any remaining rego on the car goes to the new owner. when they cancel the rego and re register it in vic they then take the plates in to vicroads (or wherever you do rego in vic) and they will cancel them and give you a form to send to rta (nsw) to get refund for the rest of the rego. some fees and charges come out and you don't get the ctp portion back, just the rego fee.

if you cancel the rego before hand you are basically selling an unregistered car and the new buyer needs to be aware of that. if it was me buying it i'd want the price adjusted accordingly also.
It is illegal in Qld to sell a vehicle with plates attached if there is no current safety certificate.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #13
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
It is illegal in Qld to sell a vehicle with plates attached if there is no current safety certificate.
so his options are get a new rwc or sell it unrego'd.

i stand by my comments that rwc's mean squat when selling interstate though. the new state will want to do their own checks before giving new rego for that state.

slightly off topic, but i regularly visit qld and compared to s.a. where yearly rwc's are not required, there is still a lot of junk driving around up there so obviously its not that hard to pass. i realise mechanics who pass cars that aren't roadworthy can get into a lot of trouble but thats not to say it doesn't happen.

the idea is good but unless all cars are checked by a handful of dedicated people for the job (totally unrealistic) it will never be perfect.
Old 08-04-2008, 10:38 AM   #14
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
so his options are get a new rwc or sell it unrego'd.

i stand by my comments that rwc's mean squat when selling interstate though. the new state will want to do their own checks before giving new rego for that state.

slightly off topic, but i regularly visit qld and compared to s.a. where yearly rwc's are not required, there is still a lot of junk driving around up there so obviously its not that hard to pass. i realise mechanics who pass cars that aren't roadworthy can get into a lot of trouble but thats not to say it doesn't happen.

the idea is good but unless all cars are checked by a handful of dedicated people for the job (totally unrealistic) it will never be perfect.
Yep, RWC or sell unreg'd.

Qld RWC wont be useful for Vic rego, but will enable Barge to sell it with plates and balance of rego without any legal consequences for him, and allow the new owner to get it home. Barge just make sure you fill out and have them fill out the same transfer form and date it. Give him a week, and hand that into the DOT. New owner will need to then get another RWC in Vic to get Vic reg (his problem, not yours). The Qld reg will be valid as long as the new owner doesnt waste time transferring the car into his name in Vic. Barge does not have to concern himself with the new owners 'residency', he only need concern himself with RWC for selling with plates, or take the plates off. As long as Barge supplies the RWC, has a completed and dated transfer form, nothing the new owner does comes back at Barge.

No annual RWC in Qld either. RWC is only required when a vehicles ownership is transferred.

Last edited by fmc351; 08-04-2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:37 PM   #15
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Barge you will need a new RWC if car has travelled more than 2000kms since rwc was issued or 48 days has past since issued both these instances make a QLD RWC null and void.
funny thing is NSW will accept a QLD RWC but i dont think it applies to other states,
and for those who get a permit to drive one way most states accept anothers except NSW ,once you cross border into NSW the cops can and will book you,if you dont have a NSW one as well,for driving an unregistered vehicle even though you might have it worded to travel down Hi-way to Victoria or vice versa,crazy but true.
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2008, 07:08 PM   #16
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Soooooooo Confused right now lol

BUT, decided i dont care about the registration and the money owed to me by QT, as it runs out next month anyhow, so the car going with plates isnt a concern, and the personalised plates arent ont he car anymore, so thats not in the equation.

So, sell the car registered to new owner in Vic, then go to Queensland Transport with my form, and sent new owner to Vicroads with their form and my plate when they get home with their Vic rated RWC, and no need to get myself a new RWC( QLD)

have i got it right??

Mick
Old 08-04-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84RGE
Soooooooo Confused right now lol

BUT, decided i dont care about the registration and the money owed to me by QT, as it runs out next month anyhow, so the car going with plates isnt a concern, and the personalised plates arent ont he car anymore, so thats not in the equation.

So, sell the car registered to new owner in Vic, then go to Queensland Transport with my form, and sent new owner to Vicroads with their form and my plate when they get home with their Vic rated RWC, and no need to get myself a new RWC( QLD)

have i got it right??

Mick
Technically, you cant leave the plates on the car if you dont supply a RWC. Im not sure how much the fine is, or how hard Transport enforce it but it is illegal and a penalisable offence. No RWC, no plates.

Dept of Trpt on one month reg would only give you maybe $10 anyway, Id be more concerned about how much they will take from you for leaving the plates on.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #18
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

its no problem for me to run down and get a new one. so thats not an issue
Old 08-04-2008, 08:22 PM   #19
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
its no problem for me to run down and get a new one. so thats not an issue
Thats the best way IMO, everything is by the book then. Cant bite you on the ar5e later on.
Old 08-04-2008, 08:32 PM   #20
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Awesome, ill book it in tomorrow then to redo that.... then print th enessecary forms

Thanks Guys!
Old 09-04-2008, 02:11 AM   #21
Unco
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as everyone has already mentioned, the QLD rwc will be useless if someone from Vic is coming to pick it up.

do not leave the number plates on the car if you're not providing a rwc.

all the new owner has to do, is organize an 'unregistered vehicle permit', from QLD, NSW and VIC for the days that he/she will be travelling.

yes, if they choose to do this, they will be driving with NO number plates. and that's fine as long as they've organized their permits and insurance. it is completely legal.
Unco is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #22
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

I have decided to go and get a RWC, instead of de-registering the car, as the car hasnt actually sold yet, and i also had a bit more local interest in it today, so its easier to sell a registered car

Thanks for you help guys
Old 10-04-2008, 01:35 AM   #23
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
I have decided to go and get a RWC, instead of de-registering the car, as the car hasnt actually sold yet, and i also had a bit more local interest in it today, so its easier to sell a registered car

Thanks for you help guys
If youve recently had one done you know it should pass no worries, Id just sell it as "supplied with RWC", but dont actually get one until its going to sell. Beats having to get another if it doesnt sell before it expires.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:16 AM   #24
Zed7fiddy
Temporary Australian

Turns out it didnt pass :( stoopid chinese cheap tail lights, i do a lot of night driving and the parker lights melted the plastic, so now im in a mad rush to find a set of genuine ones :(
Old 10-04-2008, 07:31 PM   #25
schultzie
Just Images

you can post date the sale there for the sale diddnt happen and person drives home legally... but u write a sigend paper sayign that x person is in control
(this is what i did when i got my l series from new castle... had no dramas..

or you hand in the reg and plates and the victorian gets a permit to drive an unregistered vehicle back from qld... cost them $32 im pretty sure
Old 31-10-2008, 07:41 PM   #26
Neoxr6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys i just bought a new ute from NSW, i live in QLD, when i get it back to QLD am i going to need another rwc and then have to pay for rego? the ute has rego till June next year, if i cancel it at NSW transport dept will i get the refund or will the guys i bought it from get it?

Thanks

'11 Nissan Navara D22 2.5L pickup!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by protd
because it looks gay, not just gay but mardi gra gay
Neoxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-10-2008, 11:24 PM   #27
schultzie
Just Images

you will get the refund and yeah you wil need a roadie and reg
Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 AM   #28
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Interesting about the comments on refunds, I'm in Sydney bought my Explorer in Vic with QLD rego, now if i get my RWC to rego it for NSW i loose the balance of what rego is left (april next year) and i dont get a refund on the balance of QLD rego, so i'm opting to continue to drive with the current rego till it runs out and then re-rego it as an un-rego'd car, which is what will happen if i did it now (Blue slip in NSW), Ok shoot me for doing this, but i only drive it to work (10k's) and back and locally and i dont speed, Bugger it i'm not going to waste the much rego and not get a cent back for doing so
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2008, 08:59 AM   #29
manxman
Old Granny Driver

Quote:
Turns out it didnt pass :( stoopid chinese cheap tail lights, i do a lot of night driving and the parker lights melted the plastic, so now im in a mad rush to find a set of genuine ones :(

If ppl didn'y buy chinese crap they wouldn't have the problems that it causes. Serves you right for being cheap!!!! Mind you, OEM are greedy sods....
manxman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post