Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 18-07-2005, 09:58 PM   #1
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Govt and Public Service Jobs

Hi All,

Does anyone here work for the Government?

I'm going for a job in the Public Service soon (these are the same right?)........and was just interested if anyone has been through the process and can offer any tips.

I know the application is pretty hard, having to address selection criteria, etc.

But what about the rest of it? Do you have a medical? Drug tests? Is it dependant on the role? What is the interview process like?

Any help appreciated!

XA Coupsta

XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 10:19 PM   #2
alesia
Banned

yeah you will have a medical , and after the medical the doctor will write a report listing everything that is wrong with you and compares them to your job description and will say if they think that you are eligable for the job by the infor collected,
this only usually happens when they say that you have the job,pending the result of the medical.
interviews are not as bad as you may think they will try look scary etc you know to freak you out but if you go in there happy confident they usually soften up a bit,
all i can say is be yourself (yourself being the happy confident side of you ) and make sure you are prepared for questions that are made to confuse you .
thay judge highly on your stress level capabilities as i have learnt
good luck with the job
alesia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2005, 11:39 PM   #3
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Alesia!
Old 18-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #4
LuvinmyEB
Beware of mood swings!

If you go in confident and relaxed and you've passed all the other tests that they throw at you, they're pretty cool and layed back.

I don't think they test for drugs, but don't quote me on it.

The medical they usually ask you if you're on any medications, past history of illnesses and operations, depending on the job that you're going for they'll decide from there if your fit to be a public servant.

If I can pass the medicals, I'm pretty sure you can! ;)

Good Luck!
Old 19-07-2005, 12:15 AM   #5
XRchic
Hello

Public service and government jobs are the same thing - there are also state and federal/commonwealth government jobs.

The process is usually difficult but it very much depends on the agency you are applying to, the level of the position and the nature of it. For example, if you are applying for a graduate position at the ATO, you will need two degrees and a GPA of distinctions. And probably some experience. You would need two of the following degrees: law, accounting, commerce, economics or IT usually but they accept others if they have a need for it.

The process usually involves:

- writing a job application which includes a cover sheet with your details, a statement addressing the selection criteria which are relevant to each job, and a comprehensive but BRIEF CV. There is a trick it writing the selection criteria statement and 90% of people it up. If you want some tips, PM me - Ive gone through the process many times and also have been on quite a few panels.

- you are then shortlisted based on the quality of your application package, mainly the selection criteria - that is, stuff you have done that demonstrates you can do the job you are applying for.

- if you are shortlisted, you should go to an assessment centre for a day of aptitude testing - like an all day IQ test with other applicants, testing the skills you would need for the job.

- if you get through the testing stage, you then go to interview. Usually with a panel of 3 or 4 senior officers: one HR, a couple from the area you are applying for and someone else like a manager. They will ask you further questions about your experience to demonstrate you can do the job - they will want more details on top of the info in your selection criteria statement. They might ask some personal questions but dont be fooled - they want technical answers and it will be a technical interview (very unlike private sector interviews).

- if you get through the interview, you will be notified that subject to a medical and police checks, etc, you will be offered the position.

- medicals are fairly comprehensive including drug tests via wee testing. They will test your eye sight, hearing, flexibility, strength, blood pressure, blood test, take a comprehensive medical history incuding any workers compensation claims or work related injuries you have had.

Once you get through all that, you should get the job!

PM me if you would like some help, I have various documents about writing these applications that could be useful to you - can email them to you.

Hope this helps!

Jac

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Man........that is an exhaustive process.

Thanks to all who have replied.

XRchic special thanks - and I have PM'ed you about it some more.

Cheers,
XA Coupsta
Old 19-07-2005, 06:19 PM   #7
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm in the Public Service. My last job application thru the Broadband process (you'll hear that a lot) was around 40 pages. Then I needed to do my security clearance which was another 70 pages. Evidence is the big thing.

Speaking of applications, in November last year i applied for a job in Defence. Today arrived my rejection letter. Thats like 9 months ago. One thing you'll find out, it is never a quick process.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 06:28 PM   #8
4.9 EF Futura
Official AFF conservative

I work for the government (commonwealth) but dont consider myself a public servant. I work for a regulatory body and our organisation is more in line with the industry we regulate unlike many government organisations.

The process I went though was EXACTLY as per Jac's post, but I had no medical examination and no police check that i'm aware of. The role I have is fairly technical so all i really brought to the table was my banking degree and general work experience. It took about 2 weeks from the application (online) to the interview and about 4 weeks later i was on the job.

All in all i think it was fairly similar to a private sector recruitment, but as per above, not your "typical" government job (no better, no worse - just different).
Old 19-07-2005, 10:47 PM   #9
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This is for a role with the newly created (as I understand it) Office of Transport Security. A division of the Dept of Transport and Regional Services.

Thanks again for everyone's posts!

Now for some late night application work.............*sigh*............
Old 20-07-2005, 03:37 PM   #10
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

I'm currently employed in the NSW Public Service,

So far i've worked for the
NSW Dept of Community Services (DoCS)
NSW Dept of Aging Disability & Home Care (DADHC)
NSW Dept of Lands (LPI - Land & Property Information - at bottom of Mt Panorama )

Just applied for a job at NSW Police a few months ago and still waiting for the reply, I think it's the same as Bucknaked mentioned before, security checks etc.

The first interview I went for in Govt was pretty good really, much like every other interview I had been to. Aslong as you can meet and explain the selction criteria and present yourself in a confident manner, you'll be fine.

No medical exam or aptitude testing has been required for any of the public services jobs i've been in. However police checks were carried out for all and working with children checks carried out for the DoCS & DADHC jobs.

The only thing medical related was listing previous injuries, that way you cant sue the Dept or Govt if you have a pre existing condition.
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 03:38 PM   #11
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

What Dept is the job in / line of work?
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 03:51 PM   #12
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Hi All,

Does anyone here work for the Government?

I'm going for a job in the Public Service soon (these are the same right?)........and was just interested if anyone has been through the process and can offer any tips.

I know the application is pretty hard, having to address selection criteria, etc.

But what about the rest of it? Do you have a medical? Drug tests? Is it dependant on the role? What is the interview process like?

Any help appreciated!

XA Coupsta
Yep I work for Public Works in Brisbane since 97 - no it is not sachasm I do work
Butthe No1 question is WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 10:23 PM   #13
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU XR8
Yep I work for Public Works in Brisbane since 97 - no it is not sachasm I do work
Butthe No1 question is WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO

Why would you want to work.......or why do I want to work in Public Service??

xceler8shun - its in a newly created area within DOTARS (Dept of Transport and Regional Services).
Old 21-07-2005, 11:02 AM   #14
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Why would you want to work.......or why do I want to work in Public Service??

xceler8shun - its in a newly created area within DOTARS (Dept of Transport and Regional Services).
Actually it is a great job and if you can get the job go for it
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 06:06 PM   #15
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've worked in some interesting places.

Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody
Australian Protective Service
Australian Taxation Office

I won't say where I am now, but it's in IT and I've been there for 11 1/2 years. Was dealing wiith Clients Face to Face, but no its different kind of clients.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 07:39 PM   #16
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I am a public servant.
The application process is as described above.
Study the area you are applying for. Anticipate questions based on selection criteria.
Know your stuff and you will have no probs.
Practice questions and responses, be aware that sometimes the more interviews you do the better you get.
TURBOTAXI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2005, 09:18 PM   #17
Mesa
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I work in a government job. The process outlined by XRchic is very much typical. The best advice I can give during the interview process is answer with what they want to hear, and if partake in drugs, forget it. They definately test for them in the first part of the medical.
Mesa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post