Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-11-2008, 10:20 PM   #1
betahlia
Starter Motor

Red face Hand Brake Light

Hi everyone, new to the sight and new to fords. I purchased a used ford focus LR 2002 manual and two days after purchase driving around the hand brake light on the dash comes on and off randomly. Is this a simple fix or am I going to have serious drama???? Also anything else i should be keeping an eye out for???
Thanks In Advance

betahlia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #2
RJO89
EuroFordClub

Could be the handbrake earth wire shorting out on something? That's the only thing I can think of. Does it flick on/off? Or does it come on and stay on, then go off all of a sudden?

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2008, 10:46 PM   #3
betahlia
Starter Motor

Default Hand Brake

It flickers on and off??? Anything i can do myself or have to take to a mechanic?
betahlia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 01:30 AM   #4
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I'd check the hand brake ground cable and make sure it isn't shorting out on anything. Not sure where it's grounded to in the LR. If you can, take the cover off the handbrake and see if you can follow where the ground cable (most likely a black wire) runs to the chassis. Check the wire to make sure it isn't worn anywhere along the line, or that the connection onto the chassis isn't loose at all.

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sean's car (my old car) does this from time to time for no aparrent reason. I believe Eddie is also having something similar...

Hmmmm
Old 25-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Kariharnett
Lil Henry

doesnt the hangbrake light also act as a brake failure warning light as well?
Kariharnett is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #7
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Zetec's spot on. I'm still encountering this weird problem but there's absolutely no problem with the performance of the brakes. I've got ABS BTW. The latest "solution" to finding the problem is that an Auto Electrician is going to come to the Dealer and they say the seats need to come out for them to access things so Gerry will need to stay overnight and I'll be suggesting that they check the handbrake ground cable.

I'll keep you posted as to when I've got it fixed.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
BlackLS
yum

Could also be a dead handbrake switch.

BlackLS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 06:27 PM   #9
eXtremist
2007 Ford Focus Zetec

If your brake fluid is low, your hand brake light might flash or stay on.

Might want to check this
eXtremist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 07:24 PM   #10
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

mine does it occasionally, but only when going around corners, quite fast with a few bumps... scared the crap outa me when i first saw it(well a glimpse really)... thought the back end was going to come around....
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #11
zetec
Zoom Zoom

Sean's car is identical, only around corners.

Right, I'm talking to the engineers tomorrow. Let me get back to you all.
Old 25-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I posted on FFOC http://www.ffoc.co.uk/modules.php?na...topic&t=203787

Searching now for more info...
Old 08-12-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Same problem as discussed in previous posts. Brake/ABS Lights flickers on and off and it's been confirmed today it's an Instrument Cluster Failure. Common problem I'm afraid.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:53 PM   #14
BlackLS
yum

Does it cause cruise control to shut off?

Old 09-12-2008, 04:27 PM   #15
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "Does it cause cruise control to shut off?"

No, that's working as per normal. I've been quoted $1,080 for a new Instrument Cluster btw.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:02 PM   #16
BlackLS
yum

They state exactly the failure in the cluster? I'd imagine it would be a 5c component like a capacitor.

Old 09-12-2008, 07:38 PM   #17
photn
AFF Post NAZI

dont bother getting a new cluster not worth the money and its only the light. the car actually doesnt register that the HB is up so it doesnt effect TC or CC. trust me i tried

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2008, 12:52 AM   #18
zetec
Zoom Zoom

If you need to, just Ebay or crash parts. No need to spend $1,000 on a bloody cluster
Old 10-12-2008, 02:35 PM   #19
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Quote: "No need to spend $1K on a bloody cluster." You're dead right there. Besides I've now actually been left another "present" which I suspect is courtesy of someone in a Ford Service Dept.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #20
randel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys, sorry to drag up an old thread - my wife has a 2000 laser with what appears to be the same problem - we will be driving along, then the brake warning light comes on - then stays on for maybe 2 or 3 minutes, then goes off for the rest of the time driving.

Very intermittent, not flashing or flickering - when it comes on it stays on for a little while - not whilst braking or anything. It did it to me the other day drivin down the freeway - no stop or start etc...

Would the fault be the same as a focus - in the instrument cluster, or has anyone had this prob with a laser? Brake fluid levels are all good, brakes feel great.

Cheers

Randel

Toys - 351 XY Falcon and FG GT
randel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #21
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Randel, Sorry I can't personally answer your question re: your Laser. May I suggest you post your Question over in the Laser Section of the Forums and that may help you further. Does sound similar to what I'm experiencing though.