Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-07-2005, 08:27 PM   #91
Deadman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selekta
Never taken it up, tyres are too expensive for a poor student like me :(
lol... they were more important to me when i was a student.. i'd go without food just to have mu durries :nutsycuck

but don't take it up!! they are a waste of money amoung other things (smelly, bad for health etc) ... put the money back into more important things like cars and beer :
Deadman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2005, 11:27 PM   #92
XRchic
Hello

Good luck Yummy Mummy! I hope you are successful, I really do. I dunno about you guys, but knowing that other people are going through the same thing really gives you a bit of encouragement, especially when you hear about other successful attempts! Listening to different perspectives and experiences about giving up also gives me things to think about and additional motivation to stay off them which I may not have thought about previously. So thanks guys!

Good luck to you too Mechan1k - seriously, the cravings do get a lot better over time and you are probably through the worst of it by now anyway!

And thanks Ford Falcon XR6, for your support as well! You are right though, giving up is the best thing you can do and it is a really bad move to start it in the first place. That is my biggest regret - starting smoking in the beginning! That would be my advice to any young person - no matter how cool or tough it looks, just DONT START IT! Your mates might laugh at you for not having a try but later down the track, you will be laughing at them when they are coughing their guts up all day and paying $15 a day for the priviledge.

Still, so far so good here. Still havent had another and neither has my Dad. And I am wanting one less and less. My boyfriend is sitting next to me right now and he just told me that he really appreciates me not sitting next to him stinking like smoke all the time and not smoking in the new house.

Even if I couldnt do it for me, I would do it for him and my kids.

: Cobra :
XRchic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2005, 07:45 PM   #93
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Well it's now been over 8 weeks now with only one minor slip up. Jac, I'm so proud of you! You've done so well and I appreciate the effort you've put in into giving up. Keep up the good work! And I hope everyone else who is trying or plans to give has every success.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2005, 11:23 PM   #94
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Well it's now been over 8 weeks now with only one minor slip up. Jac, I'm so proud of you! You've done so well and I appreciate the effort you've put in into giving up. Keep up the good work! And I hope everyone else who is trying or plans to give has every success.
Well, an update is required.

As a reward to Eamon for providing such awesome support, I have given him not only 10 weeks of smoke free life, but also a bun in the oven! Hehe.

So my non smoking days are here to stay - I still hadnt had one since my little slip up, but I defintely wont be slipping up again. And I dont even want one. Before I found out I was pregnant, I did not have the cravings anymore and only last weekend went out with mates in a pub where they smoked and I didnt have a problem.

But now I have more reason than before - new baby, new house and of course, Eamon!!!

Old 06-08-2005, 11:33 PM   #95
MaD_KiWi
Happy as Larry

If i ever have half the happiness and love you to have for each other i will cry and think of you guys.

Great effort
MaD_KiWi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2005, 08:33 AM   #96
Yaw
Ford Fanatic

Mate it's been since april 2004 since my last cigarette.
Thats an honest not a single puff at all.
I started using the patches for the first two weeks and gave up them as
they just would not stick on all day as I sweat easily.
So I just went cold turkey.
Best advise I can give is keep away from drinking during the frist few months and with a smoker ban smoking inside the house.
I could still kill for one but the cravings do get shorter and shorter, that is the feeling of "needing one" lasts only a few minutes now, it no longer feels like life or death if I don't get one.
I smoked since I was 12 years old and was smoking nearly 40 a day.
My biggest thing with it was not for health or wanting to give it, it was financial. I just could not justify spending $13-15 a day on it.
I was actually feeling guilty when I did buy them in front of my girlfriend (now wife).
I wish you the best of luck and if you do faulter....just keep trying
Old 09-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #97
BA_Turbs
Allan Smithee

Late last year my girlfriend's dad died of cancer. It was a prolonged illness that ended in a week and a half long vigil over his bed before a drawn out and painful passing.

He was only in his early 60s, never smoked, had been a very good footballer, and even up to his death had maintained his playing weight. Always ate well too.

After the wake a bunch of us went out to the pub where my girfriend worked at the time and she lit up. I told her right there and then that we had no future if she continued smoking. It had never bothered me in the past, not even slightly, but after what we had been through in the two weeks proceeding, there was no way I could live with a smoker. I didn't expect her to quit cold turkey that night, and she didn't. Smoked as per normal fo rthe rest of the night. However, hasn't ever had one since.

My girlfriend is very strong willed, and she didn't give up because of my ultimatum, she gave up because she saw logic in what I was saying (otherwise I would have been told where to go!).

Now I can't stand the filthy habit, nor can she.
BA_Turbs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 02:39 PM   #98
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Well ... it has been about 7-8 weeks now for me ... and I feel great ... i don't want a ciggie at all.

I feel so much better as well. I have more energy ... and my clothes don't smell now at all (took ages to get rid of the smell ... same with the car).

My Fiancee is happy as well ... and I am not smoking at the new house either. It has been great.

I haven't had any cravings at all ... only little niggly ones when i see mates smoke ... but i ignore it and usually get a drink or something to eat. I am using gum a bit more often though ... but it's much better anyway.

I was so surprised to find how easy it was getting off the smokes ... I thought it would be a lot harder though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #99
Walkinshaw
Two > One

I can't say I have ever enjoyed the smell or taist of them, however i can understand peoples issues when giving the death sticks up. I had a mate who had been smoking since he was 13. Only way we got him clean was for him to move in with another mate (non smoker) where he had to spend all his money on living expences which finaly woke him up to the cost of his habbit.

Bloody good job every one for kicking, or in the process of kicking the habbit.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:02 PM   #100
Gunns
Banned

I was smoking when i was 14 gave up at 17 (cold turkey) was off them for 7 years until April this year when I starting again. Now I am cutting down and should be off them again soon.

An old Aussie saying that doen't apply to smokers.
"Nobody likes a quitter"
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:10 PM   #101
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunns
I was smoking when i was 14 gave up at 17 (cold turkey) was off them for 7 years until April this year when I starting again. Now I am cutting down and should be off them again soon.

An old Aussie saying that doen't apply to smokers.
"Nobody likes a quitter"
You stopped smoking when you put out your last butt..why start again?????

your young enough to do it...go for it.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 10:38 PM   #102
XRchic
Hello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Well ... it has been about 7-8 weeks now for me ... and I feel great ... i don't want a ciggie at all.

I feel so much better as well. I have more energy ... and my clothes don't smell now at all (took ages to get rid of the smell ... same with the car).

My Fiancee is happy as well ... and I am not smoking at the new house either. It has been great.

I haven't had any cravings at all ... only little niggly ones when i see mates smoke ... but i ignore it and usually get a drink or something to eat. I am using gum a bit more often though ... but it's much better anyway.

I was so surprised to find how easy it was getting off the smokes ... I thought it would be a lot harder though.
Well done mate! Those who have never smoked probably dont really FEEL what an achievement that is!

It is great to not smoke in a new house - same issue here. And then some hehe. However, very well done and keep it up mate! Think of all the money you are saving and how less you smell to other people! And how much healthier you are and will be.

Keep it up, dont give up!

Jac

Old 10-08-2005, 01:23 PM   #103
GreenMachine
Mopar/No Car

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Sensational write up about drum brakes. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRchic
also a bun in the oven! Hehe.

Croikey, so THAT is what happens when you give up the smokes... I'd best go light up!

In support of cigarettes:

http://bogandiaries.blogspot.com/200...fin-nails.html

'72 Plymouth Scamp
'80 Courier
'13 Kawasaki ZX14-R
'13 Berlina
'92 Suzuki DR650

If you don't fight - You lose
GreenMachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post