Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 04-06-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
shepv8
V8's for ever

Default what are the XR5's limits

Hi all,
I have been thinking about an XR5 for a while and am wondering what basic mods people are doing in terms of performance, and more importantly how much can it take before it turns into a torque steering mess. Im guessing filter, exhaust and chips are the first mods .
Keep in mind I have a modded BA XR8 with 240rwKW so obviously I wont be going for that kind of grunt but is the 160kW about as much as they can handle? Im not really interested in touching the suspension.
We have an 06 focus and too be honest, I reckon it has a bit too much torque steer.
Also, what aftermarket cruise controls seem to be the best/worst for the XR5.
Cheers

shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 09:54 PM   #2
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

I cannot really comment as I don't own an XR5 but I would recommend signing up at http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/ They've got a really active forum there and all your questions should be answered.

I know that with a dreamscience flash tune, bigger intertcooler, turbo back exhaust and CAI, you'd be looking at well over 200kw, or ~160+kw at the wheels. This could be a torque steering nightmare but I'm sure the guys out there have done some mods to help minimise this. Keep in mind that the XR5 has reportedly less torque steer than other front wheel drive turbo-4's, such as the Mazda MPS and HSV Astra.

BTW, I love the Top Gear review of the XR5 - HERE

Last edited by DZFord; 04-06-2009 at 10:02 PM.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2009, 10:35 PM   #3
shepv8
V8's for ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
I cannot really comment as I don't own an XR5 but I would recommend signing up at http://www.fordxr5turbo.com/ They've got a really active forum there and all your questions should be answered.

I know that with a dreamscience flash tune, bigger intertcooler, turbo back exhaust and CAI, you'd be looking at well over 200kw, or ~160+kw at the wheels. This could be a torque steering nightmare but I'm sure the guys out there have done some mods to help minimise this. Keep in mind that the XR5 has reportedly less torque steer than other front wheel drive turbo-4's, such as the Mazda MPS and HSV Astra.

BTW, I love the Top Gear review of the XR5 - HERE
Thanx mate,
I have read of guys getting good quality LSD's and also a bit on the dreamscience tunes. Everyone seems to rave about the tunes. Im hopefully testing a car on the weekend ,but I always mod my cars and with a turbo there is such a temptation to screw some more boost into it I know the new RS has that new revoknuckle setup which helps with the T- steer but if our XR5 dosnt have it I figured it may be fairly susceptible to it.
Old 05-06-2009, 12:15 AM   #4
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

Yeah Quaife make an ATB LSD for the XR5. I think it would almost be a must for anyone with the big power upgrades.

If you can't help yourself when it comes to modding cars the XR5 is almost limitless - there are even big turbo upgrades. There are upgrades in the UK claiming 330+bhp, which is phenominal power for a front wheel drive car, putting down more hp than stock STI's/Evo X's.
DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:19 PM   #5
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

You need to look at this:

http://www.drivers-republic.com/dr_t...c9&area=videos

Graeme Goode 300hp package vs Mountune 250hp package

A fantastic example of how peak HP does not tell the whole story

If I was to get a Focus XR5, I'd be installing the Mountune package.

Good value, great results. Fitted by dealers in the UK and doesn't effect Ford Warranty. From what I've read, great driveability, and no issue with torque steer
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #6
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

Uhh, I believe the whole dealer approved thing doesn't apply to Australian waranties, unfortunately.

And I don't think the xr5 is anymore torquesteerey than my LR. It can be if you're using the firewall as a footrest but apply power sensibly and it's great.

One complaint tho is hard acceleration out of low speed tight turns tends to upset the ESP. Not enough to make the light come on but enough for it not to deliver until the wheels straighten up. Rather frustrating in hairpins.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Yeh, sorry. I meant doesn't effect Ford Warranty in the UK
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:17 PM   #8
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tj-zetec
One complaint tho is hard acceleration out of low speed tight turns tends to upset the ESP. Not enough to make the light come on but enough for it not to deliver until the wheels straighten up. Rather frustrating in hairpins.
that the ESP doing it's thing, you can stop that by turning the ESP off. then depending on how you drive you will either get nice drive or just spin the inside wheel.
the ESP is pretty good in the XR5 as it does learn a bit & becomes less intrusive
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 04:22 PM   #9
MR_LON
ORSMT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepv8
Hi all,
I have been thinking about an XR5 for a while and am wondering what basic mods people are doing in terms of performance, and more importantly how much can it take before it turns into a torque steering mess. Im guessing filter, exhaust and chips are the first mods .
Keep in mind I have a modded BA XR8 with 240rwKW so obviously I wont be going for that kind of grunt but is the 160kW about as much as they can handle? Im not really interested in touching the suspension.
We have an 06 focus and too be honest, I reckon it has a bit too much torque steer.
Also, what aftermarket cruise controls seem to be the best/worst for the XR5.
Cheers
once you get used to the XR5 the torque steer isn't really noticable.
with a full CAI, larger IC, cat back exhaust & a flash tune (DS, bluefin or code red) you should be good for 150-160kw @ the wheels. add a turbo back & good cat & you can get this to around 170atw
EO XR5 with blacked out highlights, grilles & fog surround, black angel eye headlights, black turbo badges, eibach springs, bluepower custom tune, motorcade ic & intake piping, Xforce turbo back exhaust, lexus style rear fog/reverse lights, EBC red pads, Goodridge braided lines, Motul 5.1 fluid, custom fibreglass bonnet & slam panel cover, under bonnet bling & more soon
MR_LON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 09:16 PM   #10
shepv8
V8's for ever

thanx for info so far. didnt get a test drive today because they sold the car, an o7 model. anyway, I guesss I should have stated that performance, not power was my main concern. Basically I want the same straight line performance that my XR8 has. Obviously the focus is lighter than my 1800kg falcon so less power would be needed for the same performance but I was unsure whether the amount of kW I would need for that would upset the dynamics of the car. I cant quote perf. accel figures for the falcon because I never had it on the strip and standing starts in these things are terrible but once rolling it has really good acceleration.
That mountune car looks to have good squirt.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
LRsedan
Now XR5hatch!

XR5 guys had a Dyno day yesterday.

Myself, I got 164kw at the wheels. (High-flow cat & mufflers, CAI, and tune)

Highest of the day was 191kw at the wheels. (CAI, turbo back exhaust, tune, intercooler).

Torque steer in all of our cars even the 191kw beast, isn't a hand full on the roads, they are quite good. Getting the full power down to the ground on corner exit isn't always easy however, they have no LSD. (LSD can be bought and installed for around $1500ish).

Being a light car, I think you would be highly impressed with the XR5's performance.
LRsedan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2009, 12:44 AM   #12
abdulwahed88

there are heaps of things that can be done to an xr5. apparently its proven that with mods it could reach up to 220fwKW check out bpracing.com.au
abdulwahed88 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post