Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 22-09-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Default The Heart of the 2010 Falcon

Ford’s recent engine announcements have seen the likelihood of six different engine variants being available in the Falcon. Within the current economic climate this level of variation is likely to add complexity and cost to an already struggling product. As such, which engine has earned its place in the 2010 Falcon range? You’ve only got one choice, use it wisely.

Here’s a brief rundown of the choices:

2.0 I4T – Mandated by Ford Corporate, the I4T is seen as a way for Falcon to make gains into the 4-Cylinder only ‘Fleet’ market. As per the Ecoboost marketing claim this engine will provide, 6-Cylinder performance with 4-Cylinder fuel economy.

4.0 I6 – A Falcon mainstay since the beginning of time I6 has been green lighted for EURO IV compliance after previously being on the chopping block. While loved by all, does the old girl have any new tricks to combat GMH’s V6 DI engines?

4.0 I6 LI LPG – A long overdue Liquid Injection system should see the I6 LPG return to favour. Is it a case of too little, too late?

4.0 I6T – Performance, economy, and no equal have made the I6T a modern day classic. Will the current performance weapon of choice be relegated to the scrap heap come Coyote?

5.0 V8 ‘Coyote’ – A competitive crate engine from Ford US could see an entry level V8 outstrip General for street credibility, economy, and performance. Is there still a market for cheap Ford V8 thrills?

5.0 V8 SC ‘Coyote’ – Bigger than Ben-Hur a Supercharged Coyote V8 has been touted as providing the heart to the ultimate Falcon GT. This Halo engine provides the prospect of rewriting muscle car history, and putting Ford/FPV back on top. Does Australia still want a fire breathing monster?

Old 22-09-2009, 02:33 PM   #2
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Ok...well its a tough one.

The I4T will be fantastic for all the wrong reasons, but thats just the way the industry is going. The new tech will do it but will the market react favorably? Definitely worth a shot. Some sectors just simply dont register the falcon because of cylinder count.

The I6 in its variations is going to be the messy one. But what can they do really, I6 n/a is the base, the fact that it will run on LI as you said should of happened a couple of years ago. And the I6T is not much more work than the n/a and most of its development is done, its just updating it here and there; not like its a completely new engine.

I believe the n/a I6 still has a place with the I4T around, towing, tradies etc; I4T is unknown and not proven...yet.

As for the V8, well its needed, in what form who knows but you just cant have a s/c product as a base V8 in a Ford, FPV yes but not your XT option.

So Im going to say that they will all be there in 2010 and 2011, dont know about after that though, something has to give. Unless they find some export market (a proper one which yields returns) and then it wont be an issue with the increase in units. But thats just a pipe dream. The market will decide and Ford will rect slowly as usual, but atleast we have options this time around.

While it seems odd, I think the n/a V8 has the least potential to sell (numbers that is), even though its touted to be a great engine. Ford should just stick to the I6T being the choice for those who need more power. The GS is a good example of what the entry V8 should be, but perhaps it should of stayed a Ford branded car even though FPV slap it together.

Damn hard to gauge, whats your thoughts BOSS315?
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 22-09-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Hi moderators, I'm not sure what I've done but can we merge this with the other thread I created on this topic?

Polyal, I’m still thinking my way through this one. I think the key is where Ford see’s Falcons target market. Sales seem to indicate it’s becoming more of a niche high end product, while Ford seems intent on holding onto the Fleet side of things. Personally performance is where it’s at for me; I’d love to see the V8’s & I6T reign supreme.
Old 22-09-2009, 02:48 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Yeah I agree, I also wrote another response in the other thread with some more points.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Closed Thread