Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 21-09-2009, 05:47 PM   #1
shazaam

Default Heater/Fan dial illumination

Howdy fellas,

The right side of the heater/fan speed dash dials have stopped illuminating when the headlights are on. How do I access these and what sort of bulbs etc.. do I need?

cheers

shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #2
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

have you tried giving it a whack? my left side of that section goes out sometimes...& a nice open palm slap gets them going again.

I would also be interested in knowing what bulbs & how to get there, i assume pull out cd & dash panels will be removed from there...are bulbs the same bulbs as in the instrument cluster?
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 09:32 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

If it is a Series 1, the globes are soldered to the circuit board. Series II and III have little globe/holders fitted. three of one size and 1 of another. They are available (II & III type) from a Ford dealer; 3 x AU2 10B765B and the other, 1 x Au2 10B765A. They are $5.80 each.

For the AUI type you will need a soldering iron and some little globes from either Jaycar or Dicksmiths and a little patience.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #4
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Rocks
have you tried giving it a whack? my left side of that section goes out sometimes...& a nice open palm slap gets them going again.
It's amazing how much this will fix in a Falcon!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 08:57 AM   #5
whiskers
gone fishing

follow this tutioral to get the dash out http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=95787

then you need to take the air con control panel out which is just under the vent I have just done mine its a series 1. I got another one from ftg posted to qld for $65 but had to take it to an auto elec to have 2 bulbs replaced as I wasn't confident enough to do the soldering I could have got the globes from repco on a serise 1 there are 3 globes that are in a socket and the rest are soldered.

hope this has helped you out

cheers
Old 22-09-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
White_sr_taxi

Quote:
lol i can't see him giving it a slap lol
White_sr_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 10:34 AM   #7
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa Smurf
If it is a Series 1, the globes are soldered to the circuit board. Series II and III have little globe/holders fitted. three of one size and 1 of another. They are available (II & III type) from a Ford dealer; 3 x AU2 10B765B and the other, 1 x Au2 10B765A. They are $5.80 each.

For the AUI type you will need a soldering iron and some little globes from either Jaycar or Dicksmiths and a little patience.
Hey Papa Smurf, do you know the type/size of the globe in the headlight switch - AU3 F/Ghia, if they're not all the same.
I'd like to swap it for a blue led. I pulled the switch apart but the globe was a tiny little thing about the size of a match head.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
shazaam

Thanks for the responses guys, I'll check it out.
shazaam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #9
BIGJB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronwest
I'd like to swap it for a blue led. I pulled the switch apart but the globe was a tiny little thing about the size of a match head.
I just did this on mine. Sorry can't tell you the size but what I can tell you is brought them off ebay.
They are only little bulbs but have a big blue bit of plastic that the sit in which makes them a
wedge style fitting. I simply removed light from the wedge and soldered into place. Will try to find
another set for you and post up link. Wrong colour but same thing.Clickity
BIGJB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 06:20 PM   #10
White_sr_taxi

lol i gave him a call and told me he fixed it by hitting it and i was like damn you can almost fix an au with a hammer thanks to everyone for the useful info on his behalf
White_sr_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 06:45 PM   #11
Halfmo Rocks
Bearded Hermit

i was right...cool stuff, i might be new around here...but i guess i proved my knowledge & love of the AU
Halfmo Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2009, 09:33 PM   #12
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99GHIA
I just did this on mine. Sorry can't tell you the size but what I can tell you is brought them off ebay.
They are only little bulbs but have a big blue bit of plastic that the sit in which makes them a
wedge style fitting. I simply removed light from the wedge and soldered into place. Will try to find
another set for you and post up link. Wrong colour but same thing.Clickity
well, going by that link, the globes are t5, which is basically just a 5mm globe...

they are fairly common so you won't have much trouble finding a led the same size
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2009, 12:38 AM   #13
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodes-sh
well, going by that link, the globes are t5, which is basically just a 5mm globe...

they are fairly common so you won't have much trouble finding a led the same size
Yeah, but I'm not sure that is right.

I've changed all the other cluster and switch globes (except the auto selector one) to 5mm/10mm blue leds but when I had the head light switch apart the globe looked much smaller - it's been a while but if I had to guess I'd say 3mm?

I'm certainly not insisting that 99 is wrong in his assertion. Maybe it just looked smaller but is in fact a 5mm?

I dunno but it's not difficult to get at so I'll revisit it in the not too distant future.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post