Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-11-2009, 09:35 AM   #1
Erich

Default What Tyres to get

Guys

Have a S3 AU Sedan and need some new tyres. Dont really want to spend $200 each and it has std rims (happy with that).

Any recommendations on what sort to get, ride/comfort/noise and mileage etc expected?

Cheers

Erich is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Well i've almost completed a great 2 year run with some Bridgestone Potenza G-III's (215/60R16, the usual) and i've been very very happy with them. Done 43,000klms in them so far and they've probably only got another two or three thousand before replacement. Cost me $139 a corner in dec 07. They are directional tyres so you can't swap sides when you're doing a tyre rotation, only front to back which should be sufficient unless you hit gutters weekly. They replaced a set of Dunlop SP Sport 200E's that everyone reckons are rubbish but i (and nearly every silver service driver in brisbane) quite like as they are solid and very hard wearing, just don't hope for any real water dispersement as they're a herringbone tyre. There's a tyres section in this forum that you might want to post in, ie bring your specials from local tyre shops and they'll tell you if they're terrible or not. I'm interested in this topic as i need new treads too but i'm gonna put cheaper tyres on the car this time because i'm not highway running every day anymore, now the cars duties are largely suburb-bound.
Old 18-11-2009, 10:53 AM   #3
White_sr_taxi

i recently got a quote for some continental comforts, at around 165.00 a corner fitted, had continentals on my old madaz and found them really comfortable, maxxis are really good too for the same price. be interesed to see price diffences between tassie and the mainland.
White_sr_taxi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 11:58 AM   #4
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Hardware
There's a tyres section in this forum that you might want to post in, ie bring your specials from local tyre shops and they'll tell you if they're terrible or not.
+1.

Post this in the tyres section, and ask forum mod 'turbo_nick' for his input....he'll give you unbiased feedback on a number of different tyre choices...
Old 18-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Erich

ty guys - will do ;)
Old 18-11-2009, 03:19 PM   #6
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

When I had 17s, I thought that the Hankook K104 (I think they were K104) I got were the best tyres I've ever had. Those and the Nexxens weren't bad. Now I have Nankangs and they are definitely a little more wiggly around long corners than what came before them.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 07:28 PM   #7
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I've got a chauffered cab driver customer and he swears by Goodyear excellence. He is on his second set in 3 years, with his BA Fairlane. Nice and quiet tyre from start to finish. Not sure on price though.

Directional tyres, ala Potenzas. Doesn't matter whther you hit gutters or not. When they start to feather from lack of rotation and/or alignments is when they start to become noisy. So that's a little misconception there

Final note. I'm assuming you are running 16" wheels? AU 111's came with 16 and 17" wheels, from the factory. So you may want to clarify that you are running 16" and not 17", so more suggestions can be forth coming
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
Erich

yes - correct im running 16''
Old 19-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #9
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I think I use the Michelin Energy XM1 Tyres.

Very good tyre!
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #10
fernsantos

I have maxxis mav1 235/45 zr17 97w
I have done 57,000km with them, i need new tyres now got quoted $640 for 4 new tyres the same as the ones i have.I think i will get the same ones as i got good milage out of them unless someone recomends me something else.
fernsantos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 09:25 AM   #11
Erich

hmmm - this is the first "good" car I have ever had. Being an ex mechanic - ive had crappy ars, retreads all the time.

Looks like I can expect between 50 - 70k of milage then - not to bad. I know it has to do with getting them regulary rotated etc - thats fine
Old 19-11-2009, 10:00 AM   #12
fernsantos

Just saw these on ebay anyone tried them out before.

$299 for 4 tyres
HERE WE HAVE A SET OF 4 BRAND NEW 235/45/17 UNITRAC FOCUS 3000 TYRES. THEY ARE 97 EXTRA LOAD RATED AND CARRY A LIFETIME WARRANTY.
TREAD WEAR: 320
TRACTION: A
TEMP: A
fernsantos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 12:38 PM   #13
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsantos
Just saw these on ebay anyone tried them out before.

$299 for 4 tyres
HERE WE HAVE A SET OF 4 BRAND NEW 235/45/17 UNITRAC FOCUS 3000 TYRES. THEY ARE 97 EXTRA LOAD RATED AND CARRY A LIFETIME WARRANTY.
TREAD WEAR: 320
TRACTION: A
TEMP: A
The lifetime warranty sounds interesting, plus the treadwear is reasonably hard wearing, so you would think you'd get a decent lifespan from them, but I've never heard of Unitrac???

EDIT - just did a search....they're an 'import only' product, direct from China.....no wonder they're so cheap..
http://victortire.en.made-in-china.c...OCUS3000-.html

FWIW, I'd spend a little extra and get something I've heard of, such as Nexen or Maxxis...

EDIT 2 - Now that I think about it, coming from an eBay seller, if the tires did fail, you would have to pay freight costs back to the supplier to get a replacement under warranty!! Not worth the trouble...
Old 19-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #14
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernsantos
I have maxxis mav1 235/45 zr17 97w
My "touring" rims have the same tyres. Done about 30K of heavily loaded highway speeds and probably have 15K's left in them.

I'd buy them again but if my info is correct the Aust importer is a group that I would not support under any circumstances.

Other than my objection above, the tyres themselves are a reasonably priced, reasonably performing option.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2009, 02:43 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I had two sets of MAV1s, they were good in the wet and dry, hard wearing, but really noisy.

I wouldn't get them again.

I'm onto Nexens now. Had two sets N7000s and N6000s and have been very, very happy with both.

The N7000s cost me $130 fitted (in Melbourne) the N6000s cost me $150-160 fitted (in Canberra) and I'd be more than happy to use either again.

I also hear the N5000s are good. My suspicion is though that the N7000 and N5000 range is being superceeded by the N6000s.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I had two sets of MAV1s, they were good in the wet and dry, hard wearing, but really noisy.

I wouldn't get them again.

I'm onto Nexens now. Had two sets N7000s and N6000s and have been very, very happy with both.

The N7000s cost me $130 fitted (in Melbourne) the N6000s cost me $150-160 fitted (in Canberra) and I'd be more than happy to use either again.

I also hear the N5000s are good. My suspicion is though that the N7000 and N5000 range is being superceeded by the N6000s.

GK
Hey George,

I have Roadstones which are the equivalent of Nexens and I agree with you that they are pretty good for the money.

I paid $200 each fitted for 235/40/18's and have done 15,000km in them and they dont even look half worn. Plus they put down all of my 194rwkw well enough for my liking.

I will certainly look at these again next time Im in the market for new tires.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont