Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Default What did I do to annoy you

This is a quick story about a guy I seem to have ****ed off at no fault of my own.

The other day a guy was doing 55 in an 80 zone. I was behind him, but not up his ***, I was about 1 car length instead of 2-3 but at 55. Anyway so he deliberately slows down more and throws his hands in the air etc. So again I back off a little, so I am about 1.5 lengths this time, I got to a part of the road I could overtake and as I did he was waving his fist at me and swerved at me. WTF did I do except overtake. This guy was about 70. I had my whole family in the car and this old guy who didn't like me overtaking could have killed us, I even went on to the other side of the road before I accelerated around him. Anyway I went home to grab something and left again. In the 20mins it took me to go around him and do the stuff at home, I caught up to him again only 5km from my house, thankfully on a dual carriageway. My point is why was there a need for him to act the way he did. I was not being rude or trying to push him faster, then when the oppurtunity arrose I went round, yet he seemed to take offence to this.

Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 11:41 AM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Didn't you see the signs?

Roadworks 40km/h :

I've been known to miss these and wonder why the traffic in front has slowed to a crawl.
Especially when no work is occuring and no workers are around
Old 29-01-2010, 11:44 AM   #3
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Yes he's possibly rang talk back radio about young speeding drivers.. Lol...
Its your fault for not being patient!! LOL...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 12:38 PM   #4
Bobman
Regulator

Seems to be a common thing where some older folks do not like like any younger generation and the way of life we have now.

Just think about the few that cross very busy roads and expect cars will stop for them, but usually end up dead after being hit by a one.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #5
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I actually think you were much too close given the rule of thumb on a dry surface is at least one car length for every 15 kph (note in my case I am thinking Fairlane car lengths) and if he had to stop suddenly it is very likely you would have rear ended him. See http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-f...nces-cars.html for stopping distances. No excuse for his response but as people get older they tend to get grumpier and less tolerant.
Old 29-01-2010, 02:01 PM   #6
FalconXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I too have wondered why people react like you've just stolen their clothes, their boots and their motorcycle when you overtake them.

Many times I've overtaken the inadequate car / driver combo doing 60 or 70 in a 100 zone and many times I've checked my mirrors (for cops) to see a disgruntled moron flashing their lights and waving their banjo at me...

Don't understand it.
No longer try to understand it.
No longer care...
FalconXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 02:10 PM   #7
GavL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXR6
Many times I've overtaken the inadequate car / driver combo doing 60 or 70 in a 100 zone and many times I've checked my mirrors (for cops) to see a disgruntled moron flashing their lights and waving their banjo at me...
Them doing that makes no sense at all! Makes you wonder if their speedo is calibrated 30kp/h to slow!

BAII XR6 in SHOCKWAVE
5SP Manual | Sports Leather Seats | Premium Sound | Dual Zone Climate Control | Sunroof | Reverse Sensors | 18" XR8 Wheels | XR6T Exhaust | Lowered | XR6T Intake | GT Steering Wheel

AUIII XR8 in NAROOMA BLUE
Info to come soon!
GavL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 02:36 PM   #8
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Sorry I pi55ed you off.
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 02:46 PM   #9
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no excuse for his actions , you overtook when safe (i hope ???)
unlike the brain dead morons near where i live ,they think overtakin on double line blind corners is safe !!!!!
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #10
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

It's probably the same guy who lives down the road that shakes his fist and yells obscenities as I go past him of an arvo on my motorbike for no reason at all. Everyday without fail.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 02:51 PM   #11
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

My old man is now 70.

He used to drive as a sales rep, for maybe 35 years, used to wear out a Falcon or Commodore every two years, he averaged around 100k per year.

he used to drive like a demon. I mean, used to drive like he was in a hurry (as he normally was) and normally 10 ks at least over the limit.

He's been retired now for 3 years.

In that time, his 'cruising' speed on the open road had faded away to somewhere 'round 80, sometimes less. This in a 110 zone!

As younger folk we will never understand, he didn't understand at 67! "cause he still worked!

My guess, if you're retired, a housewife, or househusband, unemployed, or on an invilid pension, on long service leave, or just holidays, youv'e got more time on your hands
than the rest of us?

And this translates into driving 'safer' slower. Hahahaha, safer, what joke.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue
I actually think you were much too close given the rule of thumb on a dry surface is at least one car length for every 15 kph (note in my case I am thinking Fairlane car lengths) and if he had to stop suddenly it is very likely you would have rear ended him. See http://www.rulesoftheroad.ie/rules-f...nces-cars.html for stopping distances. No excuse for his response but as people get older they tend to get grumpier and less tolerant.
I know the rules of the road, after driving an ambulance and what not, you soon learn about being safe and it is amazing how it just automatically translates into your daily driving. The distance I was was definitely enough to stop, especially with my kids in the car, maybe I was further than a car length, but either way I was not up his *** trying to push him along, but agree with you that at the end of the day there was no excuse for what he did.
Old 29-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #13
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Thumbs up

Quote:
I too have wondered why people react like you've just stolen their clothes, their boots and their motorcycle when you overtake them.

Quote:
Don't understand it.
No longer care...
2 priceless quotes in one post, I dip my hat to you sir.
Old 29-01-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
ZDI-970
Formerly D3v[]

i dont see why people care about being overtaken, i pull over if theres someone behind me because it only takes a minute at most for them to pass and nobody likes to hold someone up, and if theres a few cars behind when im in an overtaking lane i usually slow down so they carn get past safely, but the thing i hate most is when your behind someone and they speed up just before an overtaking lane so ya cant pass em! wtf is with that!
ZDI-970 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 06:12 PM   #15
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

We had this person doing 60 in a 100 zone near the Melbourne airport this morning, as soon as it opened up to two lanes near the roundabout the person sped up so no one could overtake them then slowed back down to 60 again.

Dad wasn't too happy.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 06:17 PM   #16
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCPWSF
We had this person doing 60 in a 100 zone near the Melbourne airport this morning, as soon as it opened up to two lanes near the roundabout the person sped up so no one could overtake them then slowed back down to 60 again.

Dad wasn't too happy.
Horsepower is the solution for that problem.
Old 29-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #17
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

to see a disgruntled moron flashing their lights and waving their banjo at me...

Don't understand it.
No longer care...

You missed the best quote CFOUR
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #18
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if someone wants to overtake me ill maybe move over a tad ,i would rather them in front than hanging out bak like a herroroid
the more adjitated they get the more risks they take
Old 29-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #19
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

oh and the next little four cylinder POS that flashes his lights at my 4x4 (thinkin they mite have enuf power to overtake me on a hill at 110 ks )im gunna turn around and drive over him
nothin gets the blood curled more than people flashin their lights
Old 29-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
Mansal

..add to all of the above, what I think is worse in what I encounter in my daily-drive experience is the same 80-in-a-110 driver doing:
a) 80 in the overtaking lane, and being blissfully unaware of drivers other than themselves!
b) those same drivers CONTINUE to drive at 80 clicks in a 60 zone! People seem to think that so long as they do the 'average speed' across multiple speed zones, they're good!
Mansal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 09:20 PM   #21
hendrixhc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

HAd the same thing cuple weeks ago in the adelaide hills. Only this DHd slowed down to the point where i went to over take him, then he decided to accelarate and aim straightr for the side of my car.

Felt like taking the 12" shifter out from under seat and belt him with it.

If Dhd doesn't want to do the speed limit then use the slow vehicle turn out lanes.
1982 XE Falcon
1978 XCGS Falcon
1993 XG Ute
2015 FGX XR8
hendrixhc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #22
Pinch
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Now some of you would know I am a passionate hater of tailgaters and I would never do it (it just doesn't achieve anything), but what I find now is people brake -checking you IMMEDIATELY after you have merged and are actually reestablishing your 3 seconds gap.

I had a guy brake check me like crazy the other day as a right lane was ending and I had to merge into the left. I was merging 'like a zip' as our New Zealand cousins would say. Bru. - that is one car for one car - waiting my turn. Traffic was still moving so I accelerated into the spot as good traffic flow practice dictates. This brought me closer to the car in front, but as the flow kept moving I was quickly and naturally re-establishing my 3 seconds distance- without braking and prejudicing the traffic flow. This all in a matter of seconds mind you. But no this guy in front took absolute exception to that and started pounding on his brakes as soon as I was behind him. Was an older guy. So he was the one who then wrecked the traffic flow. Meh.

Also it is hugely apparent, especially in Sydney, that you have to be FIRST - no matter how fast you are travelling in relation to other traffic. Blocking is not just a boxing technique here peoples! Sydney road etiquite dictates that you MUST do all things possible to prevent anyone from overtaking you. At any cost. Your man or womanhood, and total sense of self worth depend on it. Apparently. If you are travelling at 95km/h on the open road you MUST accelerate to 110km/h on every overtaking lane, and then immediately slow back down. Or so it seems.

Even better are the tools that deliberately speed up as you overtake on a single carriageway. This is one of the most dangerous offences in NSW and deservedly costs you something like 6-9 points in one hit and about $2000 if you are caught, But don't let that stop them. Example: sitting on 90km/h on a two lane (one each way highway) and then you speed up as someone overtakes you in an oncoming lane.

Someone did this to me in the other day. Fortunately was in a G6ET and they were in a Corolla. Also looked like an older gent! That I6T and ZF box is a safety feature here!
Old 29-01-2010, 09:46 PM   #23
left
Lady Leadfoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
This is a quick story about a guy I seem to have ****ed off at no fault of my own.

The other day a guy was doing 55 in an 80 zone. I was behind him, but not up his ***, I was about 1 car length instead of 2-3 but at 55. Anyway so he deliberately slows down more and throws his hands in the air etc. So again I back off a little, so I am about 1.5 lengths this time, I got to a part of the road I could overtake and as I did he was waving his fist at me and swerved at me. WTF did I do except overtake. This guy was about 70. I had my whole family in the car and this old guy who didn't like me overtaking could have killed us, I even went on to the other side of the road before I accelerated around him. Anyway I went home to grab something and left again. In the 20mins it took me to go around him and do the stuff at home, I caught up to him again only 5km from my house, thankfully on a dual carriageway. My point is why was there a need for him to act the way he did. I was not being rude or trying to push him faster, then when the oppurtunity arrose I went round, yet he seemed to take offence to this.

Was it a Thursday (traditional Pension day)? A seriously good day to avoid driving if you can IME. Some of the stuff you see the oldies get up to beggars belief. I was verbally abused last week by an old fella. He thought there was one turning lane; in reality there was two. I was in the outside lane & he thought I'd cut him off. He almost slammed in to the left side of my car because he was drifting over in to my lane or 'his lane' as he told me. Wouldn't listen to reason I ended up telling him to get effed I am afraid after he told me I was a stupid young woman

Quote:
Building sites on a hot day: the females equivalent to a strip club
left is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #24
elvisidal
Tatalia's a pimp!

sorry I was swerving to miss a cardigan I saw on the road.Looked like a triple button!
Old 29-01-2010, 10:00 PM   #25
cjf
GT Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDfutura25
I know the rules of the road, after driving an ambulance and what not, you soon learn about being safe and it is amazing how it just automatically translates into your daily driving. The distance I was was definitely enough to stop, especially with my kids in the car, maybe I was further than a car length, but either way I was not up his *** trying to push him along, but agree with you that at the end of the day there was no excuse for what he did.
You obviously don't know enough if you think 1 car length is enough even at that speed. If I sat up your **** at 1 car length in my truck you might realize why he was upset.
cjf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 10:01 PM   #26
wicko

I had guy in front of me at traffic lights busy checking out my car in his mirrors. Lights go green so I wait......and wait....and wait, then with his eyes still on my car I pointed up to the lights (using my second finger, not the middle one). He went off like there was no tomorrow (I would too if I drove a Barina). I stayed behind him then peeled off at the next intersection to get away from him.
wicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 11:30 PM   #27
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjf
You obviously don't know enough if you think 1 car length is enough even at that speed. If I sat up your **** at 1 car length in my truck you might realize why he was upset.
Did you read the whole post you just quoted mate, how bout reading the part that said "maybe I was further than a car length" I know I was at a safe stopping distance, there was at least 2 secs between me an him, maybe to me that is 1 car length.
Old 29-01-2010, 11:34 PM   #28
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcxr
Sorry I pi55ed you off.
Bloody grumpy old farts

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 11:38 PM   #29
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

No offense to my elders, but a few dont seem to understand the concept of keeping left unless overtaking. But of course, im the young dumb hoon who gets yelled at for overtaking them when they do 80ish in the left lane in a 100 zone (all in appropriate conditions for doing 100)....

But in regards to the topic specifically, I too have encountered situations similar as that, much to my bewilderment.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2010, 11:41 PM   #30
chrisfpv
Browsing here and there..

If you weren't tailgating him, like seriously sitting up his rear then there really isn't a reason to get all angry imo.
chrisfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post