Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-01-2010, 11:26 AM   #31
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
You'd s.... that in these days. Good idea actually. You can pick 'em up for 15k.

I tell you what! Back when I left school, 10-15k would hardly buy you a V6 VL Commodore :( probably the reason I've made it past 30
That must have been the 3.0l Nissan "V6". They were quite rare hence the asking price.....
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #32
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
That must have been the 3.0l Nissan "V6". They were quite rare hence the asking price.....
V6 VL ??? Yea ..VERY rear...Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 11:49 AM   #33
ExAreSix
STi Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03wrx
Hopefully in the next 3 months I'm going to start getting into attending track days, and once after some tuition, get my skills up enter some lower class track events.

This has been a passion of mine, but have never done it as I've not wanted to ruin my cars. So the solution is to purchase a cheaper car that goes and handles well, and be able to use it as a daily driver. Then when the updated F6 or GT comes out, I can use that for weekend fun.

For the ones of you that frequent the track, what car would you recommend around 20K, that would suite my purposes for some time.

Cheers in advance.
This sounds like what you are after ...

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...s=10&silo=1011

There's plenty of footage of this car on the track - and some recent vids from Oran Park you'll find in the T-Series room. I'm pretty sure $20k will get your bum behind the wheel of this car.

Last edited by ExAreSix; 30-01-2010 at 11:54 AM.
ExAreSix is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 11:54 AM   #34
Scott

If you have $20k to spend on a track car, buy a ready made track car as has been suggested here a few times. Probably get into something with a Rotary for cheap and easy HP, cheap and easy rip out and replace.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 01:27 PM   #35
Davebro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fev
If you decide to spend upwards of 50k buy this and for the love of god take me for a drive!!!
http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=14322&feature=1
The Mercedes 190E EVO *towel please*

More serious note

12,500 1998 WRX STI, stock setup for tarmac
http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=11966

Series 7 RX7 $10,000
http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=14226&feature=1

Lancer Evo 4 RS spec (best looking) set up for Rally with cage, mods, lightened etc $13,500
http://www.my105.com/classified.asp?id=14101&feature=1

There's lots to choose from for competetive cars but you can't drive them on the road

OMG! That WRX is in Adelaide..... Hehehe I WANT IT! Needs a cage tho, there is another 3-4k
Old 30-01-2010, 03:12 PM   #36
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VCLEVO
I agree that you could use a T3, but for me they are a bit to special and would hate to see it punted into a wall.
+ 1 for the T3

And if you keep it off the walls its a keeper..just like this one..

T3 Ready to roll
Old 30-01-2010, 04:08 PM   #37
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is not IF you bend your track car it is WHEN.

The first thing to ask yourself is do you want to race and compete or do you just want to play occasionally on sprint days.

If you want to compete then buying and falcon or commodore is a waste of time. You would be taking a knife to a gun fight.

I did quite a bit of sprinting in my F6 and wiped the floor with almost every FPV/HSV/T3 I came up against.

I tried my luck against EVOs, MX5s, Dattos etc and had them right up to the first corner.......

Porsche, Elfin, Lotus etc usually got me BEFORE the first corner.

The best thing to do is attend a few events, watch and listen. You will very quickly see for yourself what is truth and what is fantasy.

Then buy what suits YOU.

Remember this is not 400m amateur drag racing, adding power and bolt on farkles will NOT compensate for lack of driving skill.

You also need REAL safety equipment. $1000 helmet, armour, gloves, jacket, boots are all overpriced and geeky wannabe UNTIL they save you from a long stint in hospital or even longer in a grave...

Have fun, I love every second of it...
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 07:58 PM   #38
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't forget some of the open wheel classes. You can get an OK Formula Ford & trailer for that sort of money. Cheap to run, can run it in lap dashes and up to State championships. When conservativly set up, you can still run mid field and get 1:20's at Oran park, or 1:07's at Wakefield. Try doing that in a sedan without spending a bomb.

Set of tyres can work all season, engine cheap to fix if you are handy and you have all the extra fun of setting up springs, shocks, bars and brake bias, along with changing gear ratios for different circuits.

I derive bizarre pleasure in coming back to my trailer, and watching the sedan dudes fix things all weekend, while all I have to do is fuel up and check the tyres.

Dont forget that the cheapest thing about buying a race car, is buying it. Other things you get can get away from you.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2010, 10:56 PM   #39
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Weight and handling is so so much more important..
I'm afraid there are SOOooo many Jap cars around with sooo many hot import engines
available!! It's just not worth racing a big heavy car like a Falcon.. Drag strip yes..
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 01:18 AM   #40
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
It is not IF you bend your track car it is WHEN.

The first thing to ask yourself is do you want to race and compete or do you just want to play occasionally on sprint days.

It says in the OP, new to trackwork AND to be a daily driver. So this is a fun 9/10th car..

Maybe a T is not the answer, but old sports sedans and/or open wheeler won't work as a daily no matter how flexible you may be.
Old 31-01-2010, 01:40 AM   #41
03wrx

what are alfas like ? such as this one

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=8235268&__Ntt=modified&__Qpb=true&_ _Dx=mode%20matchany&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pC ar_PriceSort_Decimal|1||pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_M odel_String|0&keywords=modified&__N=1216%201247%20 1282%201252%201246%204294967249&__Ntx=mode%20match allpartial&seot=1&__Ntk=CarAll&silo=1011&Cr=3&__Nn e=15&trecs=7&__D=modified&__sid=126035DC6B10
03wrx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-01-2010, 03:02 AM   #42
bigdude1011

I like the idea of the Rotary car, but why not add a 6 or V8 to the mix? People around the world added many different engines, from LS1s to JZs and RBs. A Ford I6 inside (perhaps a turbo) would be interesting to see...

edit: Why not an EA-ED with $19,500-$19,700 of mods?
bigdude1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post