Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 04-09-2005, 05:41 PM   #1
bindi
Redhead extraordinaire...

Default Still feels a bit gutless?

Ok we've done a heap of work to the EA (as you probably know from following various posts I have made recently).

Well the other week, the day AFTER getting a reco 3spd in her (yes, yes, I know! :( ) she started to cough and splutter a bit. When you first started up it would be shocking, then as it warmed up it was better. Talked to a few people and decided it was electrical because it did it on both fuels.

Replaced the leads, it didn't do anything. Bought some plugs and then before we had a chance to put them in, the car almost shat itself so we drove it straight to the mechanic (who, thankfully, managed to look at it that very arvo). He found two sparkies had bit the bullet and they had to stick a "thread chaser" (I am assuming this is a helicoil?) to refit them all. Then she ran great.

But now she's a bit gutless. Kinda feels like the brakes are slightly on (although they are not). Any ideas? Do we have to retune her to run to the new plugs?

Also! Advice needed on that freakin rear mirror on the windscreen - wtf do you use to keep it on? It's the third time it has fallen off, despite the last time being done by a professional. Whenever it gets hot in the sun, the glue melts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_waity
Oh, and another surefire symptom will be the Falcon badge at the back.
bindi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 11:07 PM   #2
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

I was going to start a thread about this too. Driving my Monty to and from Blaxland this weekend, I noticed that it feels like the brakes are on too. It just feels... gutless...

Seeing as Bindi has the same prob, we might as well kill two birds with one stone and save doubleing up on threads.

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 11:13 PM   #3
Damo
Banned

It's a 3 speed EA, they come 'gutless' from the factory.

Try some araldite on the rear view mirror.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 11:32 PM   #4
Shonky
my other ride is the bus.

Hahaha!

Too true...

What about a 4 speed ED?

+ Lots of Land Rovers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sourbastard
Edelbrock.... not Peter Brock. Theres a world of difference. For a start my heads have much less gum tree in them.
Shonky is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 11:39 PM   #5
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

use loctite mirrior glue.. it comes in a kit. BEST product to use. Its so strong u can break the windscreen getting a mirror of thats been attached with it
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2005, 11:45 PM   #6
The MaDDeSTMaN
No longer driving a Ford.

I'm probably waaaaaaaay off, but has anybody had a look at the brakes - to be more spefific, the calipers and pads? If any of the pads are still making contact with the disk while the brakes aren't applied, it would feel like the brakes are slightly on. Wouldn't hurt to check anyway I think
The MaDDeSTMaN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 04:19 AM   #7
FPVWEPN
Team Urinal Cake Racing

ummm the pads have to make contact with the disc even when the brakes arent applied
FPVWEPN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #8
TuMor
its not a!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
It's a 3 speed EA, they come 'gutless' from the factory.

Try some araldite on the rear view mirror.

Mpfi + Low ratio diff changes that
TuMor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 10:19 AM   #9
niko
likes falcon's

mpfi and gas especially dual fuel suk, i was running around in a ea ghia on gas, was bit dead down low, bit better midrange-top
Old 05-09-2005, 10:34 AM   #10
bindi

Nah I know it's a 3 speed, but it's not running as well as it used to, that's why I am saying it's gutless. Its CFI and LPG/Petrol too, I know that will not help, but we are willing to cope with that quite happily. We don't WANT a hoon car/performance Ford lol. We want a safe, reliable, big car that doesn't cost $100 to fill up! :P

At one point this year, the rear right brake was stuck on (piston had frozen). We got it unfrozen but then it just stopped working. So we had it fixed with a brand newie (plus the axle seal).

Also the fronts were done at the same time with new DBA standard rotors and Bendix advance pads... but now I am thinking the back left perhaps? Just ever so slightly? I know we got it checked and it was fine, but they freeze up for no apparent reason, maybe it's on it's way out?

Araldite? Loctite mirror glue? Ok will check out my options.

Would belts have this effect? We are getting all the belts done next week as they are looking a bit ratty.

Quote:
Old 05-09-2005, 01:01 PM   #11
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

If the mechanic has reset the timing it may be slightly retarded. I'd recommend checking your throttle cable too as they do stretch over time.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2005, 08:50 PM   #12
Brent-EA Ghia

Hey bindi, Id jack up one corner of the car at a time and check if the brakes are dragging, with the rear you'll have to have the handbrake off and be in neutral, so have some blocks under the wheels. Atleast it'll rule out the brakes if you find there not dragging, and won't cost anything. Then i'd check the timing, or get it checked.

Brent.
Old 05-09-2005, 11:36 PM   #13
legend131268
Confused

check that accelerator cable isnt melted above the exhaust, check timing(after having my distributor replaced by a "competent" auto electrician to remedy an intermitent fault that didnt get fixed anyway my car was gutless, after checking thew timing and adjusting almost 10 degrees it is much better. also the handbrake screw part of the back calipers can stick
legend131268 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2005, 07:48 AM   #14
bindi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent-EA Ghia
Hey bindi, Id jack up one corner of the car at a time and check if the brakes are dragging, with the rear you'll have to have the handbrake off and be in neutral, so have some blocks under the wheels. Atleast it'll rule out the brakes if you find there not dragging, and won't cost anything. Then i'd check the timing, or get it checked.

Brent.
Ta Brent, I will have a look at the brakes when the rain clears. Timing might be good, also I may need to get the gas retuned as she's starting to stall/almost stall at very low revs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by legend131268
check that accelerator cable isnt melted above the exhaust, check timing(after having my distributor replaced by a "competent" auto electrician to remedy an intermitent fault that didnt get fixed anyway my car was gutless, after checking thew timing and adjusting almost 10 degrees it is much better. also the handbrake screw part of the back calipers can stick
Hmmm ok, more to think about! I am wondering about the dizzy as well... cos it's still not 100%.

Gawd, these Fords... it's one thing after another hey. My rolla doesn't do this stuff :thebirds:

Quote: