Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2010, 05:11 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Supercharged V8 could revive Falcon GTHO

Supercharged V8 could revive Falcon GTHO
TOBY HAGON
April 7, 2010

Ford is said to be working on a supercharged version of its upcoming new V8 engine to up the ante in the local muscle car market.

Ford is reportedly working on a supercharged version of the new V8 engine that's due in the locally made Falcon within months.

The new engine could finally see the V8 return as the performance hero in the Falcon line-up. In recent years the turbocharged six-cylinder in models such as the Falcon XR6 Turbo and FPV F6 Typhoon has offered better performance and lower fuel economy than the more expensive V8.

A report from industry website GoAuto claims documents filed with the government regarding regulatory homologation suggest Ford will introduce a supercharged version of its V8 to boost power and efficiency.

The new US Mustang-sourced engine could even be fitted to the upcoming new Falcon XR8, which Drive reported would live on with the introduction of the new 5.0-litre V8 - codenamed Coyote - to be introduced in July to meet stricter new emissions regulations.

At the time Ford Australia president Marin Burela hinted there was something special in store for the XR8.
"All I say to the fans of XR8s, performance vehicles, XR6s... 'Just bear with us, there is some exciting stuff out there,'" he said at the time.

The current, soon-to-be-discontinued 5.4-litre V8 produces 290kW while its Ford Performance Vehicles (FPV) offshoot delivers 315kW.

Ford's upcoming 5.0-litre V8 is significantly smaller than the rival 6.0-litre V8 used in Holden Commodores and the 6.2-litre used in HSVs.

Supercharging would be a relatively easy way to produce more power, although it adds cost to the engine, something that's particularly important with Ford's entry-level V8 model, the Falcon XR8.

Details of the new 5.0-litre V8 suggest the engine would produce 307kW of power in the United States, suggesting a supercharged version could be seriously potent, potentially rivaling European-sourced V8s - from the likes of Mercedes-Benz's AMG division - that produce upwards of 375kW.

Ford refused to comment on the prospect of a supercharged V8.

"We will tell you what we're doing with our V8s at the appropriate time," said Ford Australia communications manager Sinead McAlary.

The prospect of a high-performance V8 for the Falcon lends hope to suggestions the legendary Falcon GTHO - arguably the most sought-after Australian muscle car - could be revived.

Since his appointment in 2007, FPV general manager Rodd Barrett has said he wants to revive the GTHO.

He's since said he will "pursue the GTHO as long as I'm at FPV", claiming it will be a very special Falcon with significant mechanical changes.

Details of the new supercharged V8 are not known, although there are suggestions Ford could be working on various tunes for different models.

Ford and rival HSV have long been in a power war that's seen V8 outputs jump by more than 50 per cent over the last decade.

Whereas 200kW was once seen as solid power for a V8, the benchmark is now 300kW and above. The most powerful locally made car sold was the 375kW HSV W427, which struggled in a climate of rising fuel prices and economic uncertainty.

Six-cylinder engines from Ford, Holden and Toyota now produce more power than V8s of 10 or so years ago.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
DevilishChick60

hmmmm a FPV GTHO... I'd love to see the hardcore purists of the 351 GTHO approve of that...

Personally I'd like to see it.. but.. in saying I'd still prefer the 351... :nutsycuck
Old 07-04-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I must say, I'm looking forward to having a modern day GTHO if it happens. I know the purists will cry fowl if it happens, but I think my generation (gen Y) of ford supports need a hero car like a modern GTHO, like the purist did back in the day.

And i think FPV know how much the GTHO means to people, I don't think they'll stuff it up.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
Old 07-04-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Busted

Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a blown factory FPV V8 but don't call it a HO. Be good if they pumped it to 351kw and just called it a FPV GT351.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

To bring back the GTHO, FPV or Ford (whoever does it) will need to make it Ford GT good (American GT), power, handling, etc. It doesn't need to be cheap it needs to be good, real good. Anything less would be an insult.
I fear though the latter will occur.
Old 07-04-2010, 08:51 PM   #6
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busted
Don't get me wrong I'd love to see a blown factory FPV V8 but don't call it a HO. Be good if they pumped it to 351kw and just called it a FPV GT351.
Agreed
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
Old 07-04-2010, 08:52 PM   #7
andrewts
White Car Driver

I think doing a modern day GTHO is jumping into the deep end for sure, and If I were Rodd Barrett, I would want that car would roll out of the factory with no less than AWD, 8 speed ZF Auto and leather made from very fat and happy looking Japanese cows.

It really has to be special, a cut above... or not at all.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:05 PM   #8
SVTVNM
Guzzler

After reading all the threads about the "rebirth" of the GTHO the more I think about it the more I would rather see GT-351 badge make a return on the Falcon. XRFutura I see you point of having something for your Gen to look up to but I think GT-351 would do the job nicely, For us it was 351cubes for you guys its 351kw.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

The blown FPV GT will most likely have around 350kw even if the badge doesn't say so.
An HO branded model will need well over 400 so as not to be looked down on in a few short years like we now do a 185i Clubsport.
Old 07-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #10
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think if the GTHO comes back it'd have to be a track weopon wouldn't it? keep all the crap you don't need like satnav Climate control and such then hav track focused suspension and driveline with brakes to match and make it 385kwor to relate to the Phase 3 with 385hp
have it cheap enough to race in the production series with evo's and wrx's to wipe them off the mountain it writefully owns
Old 08-04-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

It wouldn't matter if the GT-HO only had another 25 Kw on top of the GT, they would sell for whatever Ford/FPV were asking.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #12
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Csv8, luckily you don't know how to post links, because "Drive" don't deserve any hits to their site for this article. Sorry to be negative about it, but the quotes Toby's using are a few months old. And some are a year old. And some are two years old.
Old 08-04-2010, 12:57 AM   #13
GTpilot
FG GT 5.4 w/ additions!

Blah, Blah, Blah.
375Kw GT-H, Late next year........... next...
Old 08-04-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a 351 kw motor and calling at a "351" blasphemy! It's like having 351 parts in the engine and calling it a 351. You could get a 351kw turbo 4 banger and call it a 351 too! I think Ford should build an alloy block version of the 6.2, with DOHC and EcoBoost. Or a 5.0 Coyote EcoBoost, and that should be the GTHO.
Old 08-04-2010, 08:31 AM   #15
Falco GT51
Blue Blood

Any new model should be called something different, till it proves itself on the racing track and earns the right to be badged the HO, as it did back in the day when the GT was born. Don't just hand the HO Monica out without earning it!!
2005 BA GT Mll #0697.
1979 XD 5.8 X Pursuit
2015 FGX XR8