Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thumbs up Ford's assets to pay their way?

Ford's assets to pay their way?
Words - Ken Gratton
Are 'wholesale' customers the means of securing local manufacturing in Oz?

How much is production of Bosch brake rotors worth to Ford Australia? The contract, as we reported yesterday, is not finalised yet, but an arrangement to cast as many as one million rotors a year from the one plant must be worth a substantial sum of money to the local vehicle builder.

Not enough though, to support a company as relatively large as Ford Australia, in isolation.

But with Ford also accruing revenue through another facility, ACART (Advanced Centre for Automotive Research and Testing), there's a business model emerging for Ford to raise revenue and improve profit -- without necessarily building and selling more cars. Offering 'B2B' services for all its R&D or production facilities could make each facility its own 'profit centre' within Ford Australia.

The Carsales Network interviewed Ford President Marin Burela after the announcement yesterday and questioned whether this Bosch contract -- and the ACART joint venture -- were representative of a new tactic from Ford to 'future-proof' the business.

"We're always looking at opportunities," Burela answered, "but we don't have anything to talk about... beyond what we actually announced..."

Burela, however, doesn't rule out future joint ventures and supply contracts to external customers for these and Ford's other local facilities.

"In today's world, one can't bury one's head in the sand and pretend that you can't or shouldn't be thinking about the business in a very different way.

"We have invested very heavily in our Australian operations over the years. In fact, the investment -- including what we announced... over the last few years -- is totaling up towards $1.8 billion. So when you make those sort of investments, you need to make sure that you know how you're going to utilise the assets and the skill level and the capability that, in fact comes with that.

"I would never say 'never' to anything. Many years ago, it would not have been palatable to consider [something like the Bosch contract], but it's the right thing to do..."

What has changed then? Why are 'blue-collar' or 'white lab coat' facilities going all entrepreneurial now?

"I think the thing that has probably changed, is that many years ago, people tend to -- they did -- operate in silos or pillars. It was very rare that people were willing to look to the left and to the right.

"I take a very simple view that says that we have invested in our people, we've invested in our facilities, we've invested in technology -- and it's right for us to look for opportunities for all of that skill and knowledge and investment to be deployed to deliver value to all those involved..."

Such a change in management philosophy creates a new conundrum for a smaller-scale manufacturer like Ford. Burela had admitted during the formal announcement that the casting plant was up for sale before Bosch and the Victorian government arrived with deep pockets full of cash.

New-found viability of the casting plant may well prolong manufacture of the current inline six powering the Falcon and Territory. Is Ford more likely to upgrade that engine to Euro 5 emissions standard if production of that engine from the Geelong facilities can be economically sustainable? That's one question -- and don't expect a direct answer from Ford as yet.

Furthermore -- and this is reading more into the whole can of worms -- if the inline six gains a new post-Euro 5 lease of life, the Falcon and Territory would/could continue in production as uniquely and exclusively indigenous designs sold nowhere else in the world?

If that's the prognosis then, how does the casting plant news impact on the company's global product strategy, 'One Ford'?

"Extremely well," responds Burela. "In fact, I spoke to Alan Mulally* and Lewis Booth* -- and others in Dearborn -- about this proposal some months ago and they received it with great enthusiasm, because they saw it as something that was very innovative.

"It was something that was very progressive. Let's face it, there aren't too many casting plants in Australia. There aren't too many casting plants in the Ford world -- and for this casting plant to have been able to demonstrate a level of competitiveness to be able to win and secure business, that would otherwise have gone to China is a significant vote of confidence in the people, the leadership team and the facilities that we have here..."

There's a wrinkle in this good-news story though. The environmental upgrade for the plant wouldn't have happened as it has without funding from the Victorian state government. While neither Bosch nor Ford has said as much, perhaps the upgrade was a pre-requisite to Bosch signing a contract with Ford. It's not unknown for a business to insist its supply chain partners adopt a 'greener' stance. It's something Holden has got behind in the past.

Without the state government's involvement -- and Premier John Brumby yesterday refused to reveal how much the spend was -- who can say whether the partnership between Ford and Bosch would have come this far?

* Alan Mulally is Ford's President and CEO; Lewis Booth is Ford's Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer

Read the latest Carsales Network news and reviews on your mobile, iPhone or PDA at www.carsales.mobi

Old 22-04-2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

What are Australia's enviromental emissions regulations like compared to the US? Supposedly the high cost of meeting federal EPA (Enviromental Protection Agency) regulations is Ford's reason for getting out of casting in the US.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Someone give that man a beer!
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 01:48 PM   #4
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
What are Australia's enviromental emissions regulations like compared to the US? Supposedly the high cost of meeting federal EPA (Enviromental Protection Agency) regulations is Ford's reason for getting out of casting in the US.

Steve
I cant comment on the casting process, but I have spoken to some manufacturers in different fields and they beleive Australia's enviromental regulations are more stringent than anywhere else in the world (therefore greater costs involved in local manufacturing)

Fox example waste material must be disposed of in a certain manner, this procedure is then audited (both internally and also externally at an additional cost) Same materials overseas can simply be disposed of in a manner that suits the manufacturer.

IMHO Australia has become a Nanny State (see other threads) you should see what we have to risk assessments, tag and test, etc etc etc.

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
Wally
XP Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I cant comment on the casting process, but I have spoken to some manufacturers in different fields and they beleive Australia's enviromental regulations are more stringent than anywhere else in the world (therefore greater costs involved in local manufacturing)

Fox example waste material must be disposed of in a certain manner, this procedure is then audited (both internally and also externally at an additional cost) Same materials overseas can simply be disposed of in a manner that suits the manufacturer.

IMHO Australia has become a Nanny State (see other threads) you should see what we have to risk assessments, tag and test, etc etc etc.

In fairness WH&S and QA has been a big part of the more formidable companies for some time, at least the last thirty years.
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
SB076
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally
In fairness WH&S and QA has been a big part of the more formidable companies for some time, at least the last thirty years.
I disagree, although I am still fairly young so cant comment on 30 years ago, where risk assements performed 30 years ago? tag and test? Even simple items like getting a cooling tower checked, then get it audited to make sure its checked? Enviromental policys? Material data safety sheets. etc, etc

with Sunroof and tinted windows
with out all the go fast bits I actually need :
SB076 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB076
I disagree, although I am still fairly young so cant comment on 30 years ago, where risk assements performed 30 years ago? tag and test? Even simple items like getting a cooling tower checked, then get it audited to make sure its checked? Enviromental policys? Material data safety sheets. etc, etc
You had different people back then, they would stop and assess the job and see what was needed. Planning was normally a mental process that was the realm of true tradesmen who would teach their apprentices the proper and only way to do the job.

The big change I've seen in the past thirty years is people rushing in to get jobs finished as quickly as possible ignoring obvious and dangerous problems, using dodgey equipment and not instructing workers in safe use and work plans.

Good QA and OH & S is all about slowing the job down again so people can think
and recognise hazards and set about planning their jobs better to avoid problems in other areas.

Last edited by jpd80; 22-04-2010 at 06:18 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post