Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 24-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #1
smooth az
Starter Motor

Default Power Steering Failure Warning

I have a 2006 FORD Focus Zetec which I purchased brand new in 2006 and the first weekend I had the car the POWER STEERING FAILURE signal came on. I didn't even get to the first 1000kms complimentary serivce. I took my car back to FORD and they said there was dust on the wiring housing that apparently caused the fault. It was fine after that for a little while. Then in the next year my car started to make a groaning/whyning noise when turning left. I took my car to FORD numerous times whilst it was still under warranty to report this problem. FORD could not find any fault with car and I was told to come back when it was doing it more frequently (even though it was doing it everyday when I was driving it) and explain exactly how it sounded. My warranty had then ran out and guess what FORD found the problem!!! At last, it was the rear controls arms and unfortunately I would have to cover the cost! I don't think so, not when I had been reporting this problem to FORD when it was under warranty for quite sometime. I contacted FORD head office and what do you now, they will cover the cost and the part was replaced. When collecting my car they told me that my rear brakes were very worn down on one side, this was caused by the rear controls arms and I would have to cover the cost of getting the brake pad replaced. I didn't worry to much about getting it replaced on the day and would get a second opinion from another Mechanic. Since getting the brakes checked they are fine so I guess I saved a bit of money by getting this checked out. My car has had no problems except in the last fortnight I have had the POWER STEERING WARNING signal come on 3 times. It stays on for about 10mins then goes away. I had this same problem this time last year and FORD replaced the Power Steering Angle switch. I have contacted FORD and they said that if its the same part they need to replace they wont cover the cost as the warranty for the part is only for a year. Does this mean that I am going to up for a new power steering angle switch every year? I hope all you Focus drivers aren't having this happen to you. :eclipsee_

smooth az is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 12:32 AM   #2
smee323
Yes it is mine...

You may be up for a new switch, if it is more than 12 months, or 20,000k.
If so, take it to a proper steering place, and not ford.
They should be able to pinpoint the problem for you and advise, like the other shop did for your brakes.
Other thing to to would be to take all your records involving the steering etc to consumer affairs and ask their advice.
Ford may come to theparty quicker that way.
I know our LR had a power steering pump fail at 30,000k. It was out of yearly warranty, but no where near the age at which the unit should fail. They replaced the part, and I paid half labour. You may have the same luck.
smee323 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
20focus05
I wanna XR5

mmm did you have to pay.
If you reported it during warranty I am sure it then would be covered??

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
smooth az
Starter Motor

no i didnt have to pay. but my car is now out of warranty and is having same prob that was repaired this time last year.
smooth az is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post