Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-05-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
Day-mow
rexnet

Default Tow bar on car

I'm contemplating putting a towball on my xr6 for work purposes. I Ned something that can take 2 ton and how much would it cost approx. Or could I get one from a wrecker and fit it my self?

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think any genuine tow bar is rated at more than 1600kgs for an AU. Haymen reece do them though. If your towing 2 ton your rear suspension will need some work to cope with it.

Air bags inside the coils seem to work well.
Old 14-05-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Check your owners manual. XL utes can tow 2300 with the right bar only if they're autos. Manuals and XRs I think are 1600 max. Might be something to do with live axle or IRS. Someone will correct me...

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Weak clutch restricts the manuals isnt it ?
Old 14-05-2010, 09:37 PM   #5
Jimmyd
Banned

AU111 XR series - manual limited to 1,200kg, autos rated to 2,300kg with the Tickford Heavy Duty Towpack and Load Leveling Kit (basically a Hayman Resse with a load leveling kit).

Check at the bottom of the brochure , real handy reference material right here in the Brochure Scans section towards the bottom of the main Forum menu.......

Same for ute as well....

Cheers

James

Last edited by Jimmyd; 14-05-2010 at 09:41 PM. Reason: more technical data
Jimmyd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #6
lofty
Rusticating

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent article on AU Power window installation. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer Baron
Weak clutch restricts the manuals isnt it ?
Dunno, I thought it was the box...

Territory SYII RWD, BFII RTV tray
lofty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2010, 12:26 AM   #7
Day-mow
rexnet

i thought i wouldn't b able to tow that much.
my bosses trailer is rated for 2,000 Kg (500Kg of that is the trailer its self) and so i can prob only take half. i dont really want something massive due to weight. mayb i'll just get a work car oneday.
thanks for the input

Remember it is the internet,So beware of trolls, If you argue with trolls the kids will laugh at you

Follow me on twitter @ Day_mow
Day-mow is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post