Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 07-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #1
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default erratic odometer display

hey all, on my mum's LS focus the odometer has been behaving rather erraticly in the last few days. it randomly scrolls through the entire display with various numbers and letters. the first time it happened i disconnected the battery and reset the ecu and the problem was solved. less than 24 hours later the problem reappeared, and now today the display has gone blank ie no numbers.

speedo and tacho still work fine. drives like normal. radio will not accept the code.

any ideas what's wrong with it? its going in to ford in the morning

Old 08-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Did the dealer find the problem in the end? Sounds a little strange (and hopefully not expensive!).
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #3
RJO89
EuroFordClub

I had the same problem with mine! Never found a fix for it. But I thought mine was because I had my dash pulled apart to change the LEDs. Used to flash those random numbers and letters every 72 hours or so before I'd disconnect the battery and it would fix the problem. So I would be extremely interested to see what the fix was!

Far from stock... --- SOLD :

Now riding a 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R :
RJO89 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 01:51 AM   #4
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

turns out the odometer's LCD display has died. solution to the problem is an entire new cluster. $950 job including labour.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:54 PM   #5
Mick K.

The LR Focus has a reputation for needing cluster replacements. There are some UK forums where they have a few processes to try before you fork out for a new cluster, so it may save or delay your expense if you do a bit of searching on those.

MK
Mick K. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
want-a-XY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i would be interested in doing some research on the issue, but the 'rents aren't at all interested in cars. so me doing so is wasting my breath. i'll let you know what the bill total is when the new cluster is installed