Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-08-2010, 01:19 AM   #1
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default Helping out stricken neighbours - An AFF tale

Hi all,

I would like to offer publicly, my deepest thanks and gratitude to a few members of AFF who, as you will find out below, have been the most amazing and supportive people anyone could ever come across.

As many of you know I am an active member of the Ford Forums community, not as big as some, but I am truly grateful to be a part of it. I was reminded of why this past weekend, which can best be described as a whirlwind of goodwill and as far as I am concerned, a demonstration of the true Australian spirit.

Last Friday my neighbors down the road had the wheels stolen off their late model Commodore, this occurred in Geebung at around 4:30am. They were alerted to a loud crash around this time, accompanied by a car speeding off up the road… below is what greeted them.

Now to add insult to injury, not only did the buggers put it up on bricks, stolen from the fence our neighbor had recently taken down, but they somehow managed to drop it off the bricks on one side, sliding it a good 15cm towards the gutter on its brakes.

They didn’t take the covers or wheel nuts, only the wheels, which we are told means they were either going to be “skid rims”, trailer tyres or sold as originals for doing up early model commodores.

After talking with my neighbors and seeing how distressed they were, our whole neighborhood pitched in and assisted police with enquires and what little they could offer, then it was my turn.

After putting a post up in the donating member’s area, I was flooded with support and utter disgust at what had happened, then not 3 hours later, Fiery posted following message:

“I think I might be able to help out.. What size rim /tyres?

I will ask a guy I know that has a stock of rims / tyres from and see if he would donate them or maybe our club will be able to pay him…..

….. if we can help we will try to have them on the road by Saturday night (maybe Sunday morning at the latest)..

Ohh just realised you may not be in Brisbane area so would be able to possibly organise transporting the tyres to you if you still need them!!

Cheers
Fiery”

After a few quick messages were exchanged, not 24 hours after I had posted up a plea for help not expecting anything major to happen, this is the message we only dreamed of getting:

“Well I am pleased to say that this is all arranged.
Couldn't get stock rims for them, but they are getting 4 mags with tread of about 50%.

Dropping them off after some of the clubbies have attended the Jimboomba car show tomorrow.

We as a club offered to pay our guy who supplies us with all sorts of bits n pieces when we need them including tyres. But he has generously said it is a donation to the club to give to these people.

All I ask in return is that if anyone in the Brisbane & north Brisbane area needs a tow truck or bits n pieces for cars to ring one of the AFCQ members and buy them from John (he is a clubbie).

Cheers
Fiery”

I would like to give a huge thank you to “Scrappy John” who donated the mags and tyres, and as Fiery mentioned I also would like to encourage anyone who needs any car parts they can think of, or a tow truck at a very good rate (which was also offered very cheaply to get them to a mechanic might I add) to get in contact with a member of AFCQ as they can put you on to John .

Now this alone was more than we could have ever wished for, however we had another surprise coming. The car was in pretty bad shape as you can tell from the photos, and was in an absolute pain of a position, right next to the gutter, so simply putting the wheels on wasn’t going to happen.

What amazed me was after not only organizing mags for the car, then driving them all the way down to us (In her awesome GT-P! ), Fiery saw that it was going to be a troublesome job after some of the boys and I had issues with the car sliding when trying to put the wheels on.

A true testament to the quality of people on the forums, and the AFCQ that she is president of, she and her son gave up their Sunday night to make sure the job was done, and worked tirelessly until the car was back on the road. I have never seen someone jack up a car using only a screwdriver with such determination in my life!

A diff jack, three scissor jacks, two jack stands and lots of swearing and innuendo’s later, the job was finished. Many memorable moments, such as a friend giving Fiery cheek about wheel clearance, resulted in him finding out excitably why she wears the nick name, no guesses as to what imprint his back wore just after this photo below was taken :P (joking, it was a hand print!)

Here are a few piccies from the night:

And finally, the finished product!

Both Tony and his wife extend a big thank you to everyone in the community involved, and especially Fiery and Scrappy John who were nothing short of fantastic. I think Tony nearly had a heart attack when I told him what had been organized for them!

I urge anyone who is contemplating it to become a member of AFCQ, they are a fantastic bunch of people! As before, anyone who needs car bits and pieces or a tow truck at a great rate, contact one of the AFCQ and they can get you on to John.

To top it all off, a final message from Fiery:

“I can't remember your mates name that did cop a couple of slaps on the back and a threat of hitting him with his own belt till realising it wasn't a great idea but he made the night quite fun.

I think the most special part was when Tony & his wife spoke of her dad as it was his car before passing away (sounded like it wasn't that long ago too) and how pleased he would have been to have 'mags'. She had a few tears in her eyes I am sure

Once again, my personal thanks to everyone involved and the kind comments offered by all, it has been a truly heartwarming experience. It truly goes to show that community spirit, common decency and a shared love for cars transcends even the most bitter of rivalries.

Regards,

Grandpa_Spec_AU

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real

Last edited by grandpa_spec_F6; 11-08-2010 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Spelling
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:38 AM   #2
Eleanor

What a great gesture. Well done to all concerned!

My AU2
Eleanor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 09:57 AM   #3
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a great story.

Fiery your a legend and the rest of the AFCQ.

Scrappy John what a generous act mate well done.

This is what makes Ford Forums the great community that it is.

And last but not least Grandpa spec well done mate this is what good neighbours is all about.

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 10:45 AM   #4
Den76
Phantom cruiser

Good to hear that some people have a heart, belive in Karma what goes around comes around
Just hope you put some lock nuts on this set
Den76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Den76
Good to hear that some people have a heart, belive in Karma what goes around comes around
Just hope you put some lock nuts on this set
I believe they are going to be putting lock nuts on it but the strange thing is that there has been a run of stock rims being stolen, not mags, so hopefully that means they will leave this car alone. The couple don't need it to be tampered with again, it upset them enough the first time around!!

The clubbies are fantastic people and this is what we base the club on, helping each other out when needed
fiery is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 10:59 AM   #6
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

WD mate
my brother told me they had had the wheels flogged off the old commodore
but he told me that the owner came around looking for him to accuse HIM of stealing the wheels!
Call me a heartless bastard, but i wouldn't have helped anyone who had accused me of being the thief.
yes, i know, turn the other cheek and all
but that street has had a rash of car incidences ever since i was little
slashed tyres, graffiti on cars, smashed windscreens and now stolen wheels
I do remember the old bloke who used to own the car though
he was a decent guy
i remember when he got the car, he traded in his camria for it in about oh, 96 or something like that

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 11-08-2010 at 11:11 AM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I think he is exaggerating that quite a bit. She point blank told both he and I that she thought it might have been the hoons in the neighbourhood (pointing towards our street as most of us own or have friends with loud / high powered cars) however after talking with us she calmed down. Putting myself in the same situation, I know that seeing my car on the road like that, I'd be livid and looking for answers.

P.S. Gee Mr Hardware, you make it sound like I live in the ghetto!
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:22 AM   #8
Mr Hardware

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

Oh ok, well, perhaps i can understand a bit. I can't really be described as one of the hoons though can I.
Still, if i were them, i'd prefer to forever wonder than chance stirring up neighbourhood badwill over some stock wheels off a car.
It's just a pity car lovers are instantly tarred with the brush of being thieves and it's not until they go to extraordinary lengths that they aren't seen that way.

Oh and it's i suppose not sooo bad these days, but back in the 90's mate, it really was the ghetto, not that I realised it then. Every single house in your street got robbed. Sometimes only minor like my family's house, sometimes multiple times like poor old bill on the corner, even with his security system. Cars got broken into too.
That's why all the long-timers garage their cars overnight. You only see the newbies (like in number 17) who leave their cars out.

Last edited by Mr Hardware; 11-08-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Mr Hardware is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I couldn't agree with you more mate, it is a shame that there is a stigma associated with anyone who drives a modified car being labeled a hoon, but sometimes it's good to show people the other side of the coin.

And yes, you absolutly couldn't be a hoon as sheepskin seatcovers don't count as a "mod" :P haha

Edit: You're an old fart though, I've only been there for 7 years
Old 11-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #10
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like a heat of the moment over reaction which can be understandable I spose when you find out the connection of the vehicle to the lady but I doubt she would even consider blaming anyone after the selfless act of trying to find someone to help out that grandpa_spec_au did and then actually helping in putting the car back on her feet.

The area seemed so quiet that it seems hard to believe there could be any trouble there.. Makes me grateful to have both my baby's locked in a garage
Old 11-08-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
Mr Hardware

Yes you're probably quite right fiery.
Well done grandpa_spec_au, well done all involved, you have all done an excellent service for the name of 'us hoons'. Community spirit was shown by all.

Now i'll just go and try to grow a heart.
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 PM   #12
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done to all
Great effort
It doesnt matter where we live nowadays unfortunately
There are scum everywhere
Livin in caboolture/morayfield area 15 years ago
We would leave keys in an unlocked car,leave the house roller door open all nite,front door unlocked
Never had an issue
Moved onto acreage in same area,thinkin that would be better
Not the case
Now adays pritty much anything thats not bolted down,will go
Stock rims arent worth much,its the inconvenience of the theft that does the damage
Generally if someone is hard on their luck youll sling em a coupla bucks or a hand
(As seen)
But steelin is just not on
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 01:23 PM   #13
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Beautiful story, good to see that there are still people willing to go out of their way and make it a mission to help one another.
And Fiery, Kudos to you sir.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #14
fiery
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheInterceptor
Beautiful story, good to see that there are still people willing to go out of their way and make it a mission to help one another.
And Fiery, Kudos to you sir.
Thanks for that, but just so you know I am not a sir
Old 11-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

I almost said something, but I help my tongue just to see what would happen
Old 11-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #16
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

quick, submit it to Today Tonight. "Hoons Helping Hand"
Old 11-08-2010, 02:36 PM   #17
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

as i said earlier (in another thread )

my hat off to the people of aff and the people that helped out this family

keep up the good work people might just show some that all car people shouldnt be painted with the same brush

Jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #18
dannyxm
was danny888

Top stuff.

Well done to all!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #19
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

kudos to all involved in this. it makes my day just knowing there are still goodhearted
people out there
Old 11-08-2010, 03:08 PM   #20
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

I said it before but I'll say it again, its stories like this that make me glad I am part of a community as great as AFF. The members not only help out with posting advice and answers to questions, but they band together to help others out in the real world as well.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 03:31 PM   #21
Mickxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if anyone gets stuck in dullsville (perth)(sor) give a shout out we`ll give you a hand.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well done Kerri my hat goes off to you indeed and to all else involved, scenes like rthis are very few and far between and goes to show that the spirit is dying somewhat in our country.
Rep points all round
Old 11-08-2010, 05:06 PM   #23
Bmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well done to all involved, we need more good people in this world. I too have experienced first hand the good nature of people on this forum, who have donted parts to get the Booger Mobile on the road. We have recieved an engine, exhaust, tow bar and uhf radio just to name a few. As well as a lot of people donating cash to Camp Quality in our fundraising quest.

It allways make you feel good to help others in need, so to all that do no matter what the call, well done and good fortune to you all, kind people.
Bmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 05:43 PM   #24
Bundy
All Ford Club Life Member
Donating Member3

One of the BEST stories I've read on here in ages. Big CHEERS!! to AFCQ and all involved.

Worked AU XR8 Ute - Toy

Std FG XR6T Ute - Daily

Supercharged BA 6 Ute - Wife's daily

351W F150 93 XLT 4x4 Supercab
Bundy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #25
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

that is truly heart warming! I hope that the scum that took those wheels have need of such wonderful neighbours, so they too can learn and become part of a better community.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:06 PM   #26
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiery
Thanks for that, but just so you know I am not a sir

haha sorry ma'am

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2010, 07:13 PM   #27
Fled74
The Thread Killa

After reading about all the crap that happens these days, it's stories like this that restore my faith in humanity.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
Fled74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-08-2010, 05:54 PM   #28
GTP 044
Formally RED XR8

As others have already said, a BIG WELL DONE to all concerned.

The only FPV ever built in CONGO GREEN

SOLD

CURRENT 2012 Manual, leather, sat nav GT 335 in SWIFT GREEN

1 of only 6 manual Swift Green GT’s and 1 of only 21 Swift Green GT’s in total
GTP 044 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post