Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #1
irpacaus

Default Insuring and selling a personal import

Hi guys,

I have a question for anyone with experience with importing a car after owning it for 12 months overseas. I am just about to purchase an Aston DB9 and I see there is a significant profit to be made. My concern is though as it is a personal import I might Not be able to sell it for as much as other second hand Astons due to it's personal import status as it is more difficult to insure.

Can anyone help me or provide any clues or contacts about selling personal imports or experience in doing this.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by irpacaus; 24-08-2010 at 08:52 AM. Reason: Spelling and sausage fingers typing on an iPhone
irpacaus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #2
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

does the aston db9 look a bit like the flying car in the harry potter movie?
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Ok,

I have just bought a personal import, (Fiat Coupe). He (the original owner) had just got it registered and wanted to offload it. It seemed that he had a little trouble getting it complianced as when I joined the Fiat Forum the Aussies knew of the car as a person I was corresponding with referred to the fact that the original owner was having difficulty several months ago to get it passed. (He must have also been on the forum asking for advice).

I was also looking at this car on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....=STRK:MEWAX:IT

It was passed in at around 37 grand at the last auction, and it is now for sale at 44k as you can see.

The cheapest comparable Aussie model is around the 60 grand mark.

So perhaps there is an element of hesitation from buyers buying an imported car, especially one that is not rego'd but 'ready for rego in any state'. Also, top end cars are getting hard to sell due to economical uncertainty etc etc etc

So, if the car is already for sale here, expect to not sell it for as much as a proper import. Also, get the thing registered and ready to drive away.

Damn that Maserati is a bloody steal... But one 'poor mans Ferrari' is enough for me ;)

Cheers,

Jason
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 05:22 PM   #4
irpacaus

Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I will be importing it and also rego-ing in Queensland so it will be fullycomplianced. From what I can gather it will only require the child anchor points fitted but there maybe one or 2 other small items so I wonder if it is a slightly different prospect.

From what I have seen there are only 10 db9 for sale second hand on carsales.com and and the price they are selling I could under cut by $10k and still comeout with a bit of profit

Anyone else got any if like Jason as that is a great start thanks

David
Old 24-08-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if you are going to spend 200000+ to MAYBE make 10-20g in a market that is as bad as this one i think you are taking a HUGE risk. are you registered for gst because most buyers of these cars would be using them as tax breaks and another major problem is that the dealers can take trades and you can't which will dramaticly reduce your ability to sell. another thing is stamp duty, the dealer cars have it included in price.good on you for trying to make money from this sort of thing, is there any vehiles that you could export to england that you can get cheap, monaros,gt's,ss-xr8 utes etc.Or the ss-xr8 utes to america,something they don't have there.(did the elcamino\vz ute make it there)
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2010, 10:17 PM   #6
irpacaus

Cedric,

Basically I can get a 2005 DB (coupe or convertible) landed in oz for about $125k to $135k which includes all the shipping costs, import duty, GST cost for any items taht need updating to Australian compliance. All that would be needed is to insure and drive it.

Basically I can get a fairly decent DB9 for about £50k (with about 20k to 25k miles on it) and it is about another £25k to get it into oz registered and on the road. But I need to hold it for 12 months first so there might be a bit more a reduction in prices. Looking on car sales.com they are going from anywhere from upwards of $200k which is what I based my original calcs on. These prices are from a dealer as there were no private sellers for them.

The problem is if I can only sell it $150k either because of trade in price or because people can not get it insured with mainstreem insurues because it was a personal import then this could serriously damage the potential return and not be a good decision.

I think you will find that the UK is in much worse shape financially and Australia has very much missed much of the heartache attached with the GFC so bring stuff into the UK would not be that good as also the Pound does not buy as many dollars as it used to. When I first arrive in teh uk my £1 could get me $2.75 now it gets me just $1.75.

Regards

David