Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 28-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #1
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 
Default New suspension arrived today

After riding for nearly 18 months on Eibach springs, my stock front shocks are showing signs of wear. This has given me a good excuse to upgrade the suspension. I was not sure whether to go for coilovers, or new shocks with matched springs. After a lot of research, umming and ahhhing, I decided on springs / shocks kit to provide good street handling. I also decided I didn't need the height adjustability of the coilovers.

A big, big thanks to #Russ#Es# for the hot tip about Demon Tweeks. They offer a wide range of suspension choices for the Focus, at very competitive pricing. Also, compared to previous experience, they do not charge an arm and a leg for shipping.

At the end of the day, I ordered a Koni kit, with 35mm lowering springs, and adjustable Koni Yellow shocks front and rear.

From left to right: front spring, front shock, rear spring, rear shock and at the bottom is Whiteline rear swaybar which I haven't found the time to install yet!

Also, for comparison, here is a shot of the Koni front spring vs the stock spring:

I am currently awaiting delivery on the Whiteline rear camber kit. I am hoping to get all this installed by early-mid November, except for the swaybar, which i will try and do myself on a spare weekend. Hopefully, these mods together will make a big difference to the handling of the car.

DZFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

sounds awesome DZ! cant wait to hear how much better it handles
i am in a similar boat.
lowered springs - shocks getting trashed.
so i will need to upgrade my shocks aswell.. :(
more money spending...
given me some good ideas tho..
if you dont mind me askin the prices of your purchases?
thanks
Old 28-10-2010, 05:00 PM   #3
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: LS Focus PCV Valve & Hose replacement, a very detailed write up with photos. 

sumpa, I'd look at Koni Yellow's or Bilstein B8's, which are shortened and design to work with the lowered springs. I noticed that European parts recently started stocking the B8's (in addition to Demon Tweeks).

The key for me was to get a good quality suspension kit, delivered to Melbourne, for under $1000 (the Koni kit ticked all these boxes). This way, I didn't have to pay customs duty and GST. When I imported my rims, which were over the $1000 threshold, I got absolutely smashed by customs fees.

The rear sway bar was $189 inc delivery, a friend got me this price through his contacts on the Holden forums (thanks mate if you're reading this, even if you do drive a commodore).

The rear camber kit I just purchased through the Whiteline website.
Old 28-10-2010, 05:03 PM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Those shocks look familiar

Despite my 3 month wait, I agree with DZ on the service Demon Tweeks provide. Their prices are extremely competitive (for suspension bits anyway).

sumpPUMP - I won't talk for DZ, but I bought the same shocks on their own for ~$995 shipped.
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Russ#Es#
Despite my 3 month wait, I agree with DZ on the service Demon Tweeks provide. Their prices are extremely competitive (for suspension bits anyway).
From payment to delivery, mine took 5 weeks. The parts were not in stock and had to come from the Koni factory first.
Old 28-10-2010, 10:24 PM   #6
casabonka
You can call me Chris

$189 delivered for the sway bar is cheap! I paid $229 and had to collect from Autobahn myself

Looks the goods though - would love the do that to mine
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 04:19 PM   #7
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DZFord
sumpa, I'd look at Koni Yellow's or Bilstein B8's, which are shortened and design to work with the lowered springs. I noticed that European parts recently started stocking the B8's (in addition to Demon Tweeks).
Great, they should do the trick. dno what it would be like to ship to WA but it sure sounds cheaper than from uk! ive heard very good things about the B8's but im pretty sure i'll go for the cheapest option.

Thanks Russ, thats about what i was expecting.
any ideas on a rough price for installation?
prob gonna get brakes done the same time to get labour bit cheaper
Old 29-10-2010, 05:26 PM   #8
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumpPUMP
Great, they should do the trick. dno what it would be like to ship to WA but it sure sounds cheaper than from uk! ive heard very good things about the B8's but im pretty sure i'll go for the cheapest option.

Thanks Russ, thats about what i was expecting.
any ideas on a rough price for installation?
prob gonna get brakes done the same time to get labour bit cheaper
No probs. I was quoted $370 from a local Pedders.

I found a good install guide online and grabbed a Haynes repair manual online so am doing it myself. Bought some spring compressors from Superdodge Auto for around $35 and now have a set of axle stands. Will just get an alignment done afterwards ($88) and can then head to my local twisty road for some 'testing'
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles

Old 29-10-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
Velociraptor82
Eat my Brake Dust

Is there any height difference between the Koni and Eibach springs?
Small Ford Sunday 2010 - Best Modified Car presented by the EuroFord Club

If I'm going to Hell, I'm going in a Ford

Velociraptor82 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #10
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah Eibach lower 30mm, and Koni lower 35mm. A whole 5mm difference!

There is also a Bilstein kit, they lower the car 40mm.
Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Pedders

Hi All,
I was having had a bit of a read here and thought I should mention a Pedders product that might be of interest to some of you. If you are looking for something with a little more adjustment in height and valvling. Pedders have our ExtremeXA's available for the Focus model range:

-2002-2005 P/No 1620002
-2005 -on P/No 1620056

Extreme XA's let you dial the car in to suit the driving style you want or need at any particular time. One minute the car can be low and tight while you are at a track day and then you can dial it down so that it is still low but the suspension is softer for the cruise home after the event.

For more info see the link below.
http://www.pedders.com.au/products/52

The products are currently available in all states, so have a chat with your local Pedders store if you think these might be the edge you are looking for.

Scott
Remember to get your Ford Forum discount voucher from(Now 10% off all Pedders branded products ...Except ExtremesXA's which receive a 5% discount) http://www.pedders.com.au/PS_images/...Voucher10A.pdf
Pedders is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #12
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Thanks for the contribution Scott, I'm sure plenty would be interested in that setup. But doesn't this plug belong in the sponsors section?

Old 01-11-2010, 06:07 PM   #13
Pedders

Never intended to offend.
I was going to write it on our page and just post a link to it. I don't know about you but I personally hate jumping from one link to the next so I threw the whole lot in here.

We actually released the ExtremeXA range some time ago on our sponsors page. When I noticed that you had had a quote from Pedders on what appeared to be coils then read further about the koni and bilstein options being talked about I thought I would drop in a comment simply to let those following the post know of another option.

Scott
Remember to get your Ford Forum discount voucher from(Now 10% off all Pedders branded products ...Except ExtremesXA's which receive a 5% discount) http://www.pedders.com.au/PS_images/...Voucher10A.pdf
Old 02-11-2010, 10:18 AM   #14
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

No offence taken. Agree its always best to minimise the number of places people look for this info, but just thought it may have been better to start a separate thread than tag onto one that wasn't really discussing different options.

Either way, the more options you guys can offer us Focus guys the better!!

Old 02-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Pedders

Point taken will keep in mind in future.
Scott
Old 12-11-2010, 12:54 PM   #16
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok, well everything has been installed now. So far, I couldn't be happier. The shocks are all set to full soft, which is still apparently firmer than the original shocks, but still very comfortable. There has been a noticeable reduction in body roll around corners. Compared to the Eibach kit, the front has been raised slightly, whereas the rear has been lowered more, giving the car a more level look. The Eibach kit for some reason really dumped the front end but left the back end sitting higher than what I would have liked.

Front setup:

Rear setup:

Whilst it was in at Pedders I asked them to do a brake check. The front pads are only 25% worn, whereas the rear pads have only 1000km left on them! Something is definitely wrong there (and no, I haven't been driving around with my hand-brake on / doing hand-brake turns). I've ordered some new pads (EBC Ultimax for the rears) and will have to get those put in soon.

Last edited by DZFord; 12-11-2010 at 01:10 PM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #17
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Quote:
Ok, well everything has been installed now. So far, I couldn't be happier. The shocks are all set to full soft, which is still apparently firmer than the original shocks, but still very comfortable. There has been a noticeable reduction in body roll around corners. Compared to the Eibach kit, the front has been raised slightly, whereas the rear has been lowered more, giving the car a more level look. The Eibach kit for some reason really dumped the front end but left the back end sitting higher than what I would have liked.

Front setup:

Rear setup:

Whilst it was in at Pedders I asked them to do a brake check. The front pads are only 25% worn, whereas the rear pads have only 1000km left on them! Something is definitely wrong there (and no, I haven't been driving around with my hand-brake on / doing hand-brake turns). I've ordered some new pads (EBC Ultimax for the rears) and will have to get those put in soon.
Nice to see them in Dan. Can't wait to do the same!

Ride height looks good, the front will defintely be happier over driveways, etc.

Assume you ended up having the Whiteline camber kit installed at the same time?

I've heard of others with excessive rear pad wear, will have to take a look forthe thread.

Bring on a sunny weekend and a twisty road!

Old 12-11-2010, 02:39 PM   #18
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:

Interesting article (Letter reply???) today in the cars section of the Herald Sun saying that this is becoming more and more common in Japanese and European cars. Something about manufacturers trying to get more out of the back brakes, particularly at low speeds. They suggested nothing amiss with back brakes wearing first. Interesting
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #19
sumpPUMP
SUMPA's sedan

ive heard of a few xr5's with there brakes still grabbing after the brake pedal has been released. but never heard about your problem DZ!
i would definetly get pedders/mechanic/ford to look at why that is happening.

i just had my 60thou km service yesterday at ford and they chucked the car on their lil machine to check suspension, brakes, brake force distribrution (forward /backward & left/ right) etc... only 20 bucks and gives you percentages and pretty pictures:P dno if this is a new thing, but ive never had it done. maybe worth you checkin this out?

The forward tilt on the focus is intentional, I think its to do with the oversteer/understeer (and torque steer in the xr5). but you have a sway bar to correct all that now :P

lookin good tho DZ, good to hear your happy with the setup!
Old 14-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #20
DZFord
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi guys, thanks for the positive comments. Russ, I did get the camber kit installed at the same time. The rear camber looks much better now.

Interesting facts about the brakes. I will definitely get a mechanic to check it out. By the way - ebay UK - a set of rear EBC ultimax brake pads for < $50 inc. shipping. Bargain.