Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-11-2010, 02:19 PM   #1
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Default What do you consider to be high oil temperature?

I was driving pretty hard yesterday.

Hard acceleration and lots of wide open throttle, revving up to 6,000 to 6,500 rpm

Oil temp was peaking at 110 degrees C.

What are people's opinions on when oil temp is "too high"?

I am using Mobil1 5W30.

At what point should I look at an oil cooler?

Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
Tj-zetec
Knows nothing. Apparently

I think the answer may lie within the oil itself. Obviously oil's viscosity changes with temperature (it gets thinner or lighter for those of you playing at home) and that is indicated by the number on your oil bottle. One number is its "weight" when cold, the other when hot.

The change in viscosity will also change your oil pressure. Thatd be my main concern.
Everything is relative to everything. Even things like compression or even oil pressure itself will effect temperatures.

Firstly I'd look into the oil you're using, there'd be some way to find its operating temperatures, websites, sales reps. Hell, read the bottle, you might even find it there.

Talk to the guys at herrod that rebuilt your motor. They'd understand it a lot better than me and know whats needed for that motor.

Good to see your round the traps mate, its been a while.

1975 Mitsubishi/Chrysler GC Galant 2-door Hardtop. 4G63 DOHC heart transplant nearly complete!
Check out the build over here
Tj-zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 12:15 AM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
I was driving pretty hard yesterday.

Hard acceleration and lots of wide open throttle, revving up to 6,000 to 6,500 rpm

Oil temp was peaking at 110 degrees C.

What are people's opinions on when oil temp is "too high"?

I am using Mobil1 5W30.

At what point should I look at an oil cooler?
Steve... just the man i need to have a chat to about a few things...
sent you a pm...

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-11-2010, 12:29 PM   #4
entheos

Using the factory recommended Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 in my XR5 I've never seen it move from the normal warm temp...sitting just below half on the dial...even on a full track day...didn't move....and that was running a tune, IC, CAI and High Flow Cat...
Old 22-11-2010, 01:10 PM   #5
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
Using the factory recommended Castrol Edge Sport 0w40 in my XR5 I've never seen it move from the normal warm temp...sitting just below half on the dial...even on a full track day...didn't move....and that was running a tune, IC, CAI and High Flow Cat...
Same here,

Steve, I would consider using the 0W40 in yours because of the performance mods you have, rather than the stock 5W30 that ford recommend for the Zetec/Duratec 2.0 engines.
I have Mobil1 0W40 in my XR5 and it's running beautifully. And like entheos said, it never moves away from normal temperature even after a kick in the butt

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 01:03 AM   #6
rand0mn00b

I used to use Castrol Edge 5w30 however I changed to Elf recently, and there was a noticeable improvement in engine noise and smoothness in power delivery particularly in the low end.

Never really considered my engine noisy before, but the difference w/ Elf is surprising. I did a bit of poking around but nothing too much, apparently Castrol Edge meets just enough criteria to be consdered a fully synthetic, though uses cracked hydrocarbons? Anyway, I'm not up with all the jargon. Elf is meant to be a real fully synthetic, along with a brands like Mobile 1 fully synthetic.

So while I'm sure the rating of the oil is most important, I think the grade of oil will have some effect as well.

In practice the Elf has been a good improvement:

rand0mn00b is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Spoke to the Mobil Lubeline today.

Their advice was that even with my engine mods, to stick with the 5W30.

The 0W40 obviously has a wider viscosity range, but viscosity is only one factor in the specification.

I know for example that the early Zetec engine was originally specified with a slightly higher viscosity, but the engines had a sticking valve problem and thus a change in specification was made to the 5W30

Mobil advised that 110 C was nothing to worry about with the synthetic oil.

And I'll hold off on an oil cooler, because they can apparently cause problems getting up to operating temperature in the first place
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
XR5-Boy
You mad, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by melbzetec
Spoke to the Mobil Lubeline today.

Their advice was that even with my engine mods, to stick with the 5W30.

The 0W40 obviously has a wider viscosity range, but viscosity is only one factor in the specification.

I know for example that the early Zetec engine was originally specified with a slightly higher viscosity, but the engines had a sticking valve problem and thus a change in specification was made to the 5W30

Mobil advised that 110 C was nothing to worry about with the synthetic oil.

And I'll hold off on an oil cooler, because they can apparently cause problems getting up to operating temperature in the first place
Sounds good to me. They're the oil experts! lol

SFS 2007 Best Cougar, SFS 2010/2011 Best Focus XR5
XR5-Boy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post