Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 27-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Default Adelaide road trip

Hey guys looking at heading down to Adelaide mid December for a week, Sort of a belated honeymoon, driving from central Vic. So any good things to do in Adelaide,from Drives, To Food, places in general, Looks like might be staying on the Beach, So any pointers would be appreciated. Not sure what vehicle taking yet hopefully the Mustang, It's never done more than abouit 500klms in a day so should be interesting.

SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #2
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might want to start here: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11289200

I'm a bit biased, but the Barossa Valley is a good place to go. Then there is McLaren Vale, or Coonawarra, or Fleurieu Peninsula, or Adelaide Hills, just to name pretty much all the wine regions in SA....

National Motor Museum in Birdwood.
Monarto Zoo or Adelaide Zoo to see the Pandas.
Glenelg, Victor Harbour, or pretty much any beachside town south of Glenelg.
The Murray River.

Hopefully that's a few places to research and see if you want to go and visit
Old 27-11-2010, 09:37 PM   #3
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

'Goodlife' organic pizza down the bay..... go the roast duck pizza..
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #4
mrghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah the barossa valley is good I live up there as well plenty of nice wineries up there and its only a hr north of the city. Victor Harbor is a nice place I haven't been there for a while but I have good memories. where are plenty of good beaches just out of the city.
mrghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #5
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Go to mclaren vales wine region, very lovely in summer, (give Coriole a try especially, shameless plug for my old man), after some wine head to Moans for a sunny afternoon meal at the beachside surf lifesaving club, much quieter and the food is great(and cheap!). Great sort of thing to do on a sunny Saturday, you'll enjoy yourself.
Glenelg is great on a hot day if you're under 25, otherwise it's got heaps of young idiots every where. Try further south at Brighton where it's quieter and a bit more relaxed.
Hope you enjoy your stay in Adelaide, be sure to check out one of the many cruises on, summer in Adelaide is driving weather!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 12:36 AM   #6
Mondie
Firm member

Yeah definitely Brighton over Glenelg.

Spend some time touring through the Adelaide Hills, some superb towns worth a visit including Stirling, Lobethal, Hahndorf and of course Birdwood for the motor Museum. If you like a really special dining experience l cannot recommend the Bridgewater Mill highly enough, simply sensational food in a beaut old building. Windy Point restaurant is also worth a visit but book early if you want to get the best views.

l only moved to Adelaide 2 years ago but l love the place. l hope it continues to keep its country town/backwards etc reputation, its fine just the way it is and the less people who move here the better

Cheers,
mondie
Mondie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 02:09 AM   #7
krt10
eskyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mondie
Yeah definitely Brighton over Glenelg.

Spend some time touring through the Adelaide Hills, some superb towns worth a visit including Stirling, Lobethal, Hahndorf and of course Birdwood for the motor Museum. If you like a really special dining experience l cannot recommend the Bridgewater Mill highly enough, simply sensational food in a beaut old building. Windy Point restaurant is also worth a visit but book early if you want to get the best views.

l only moved to Adelaide 2 years ago but l love the place. l hope it continues to keep its country town/backwards etc reputation, its fine just the way it is and the less people who move here the better

Cheers,
mondie

the bridgie pub is my local. stumbling distace home ;) funnily enough, i have never been to the mill for dinner.

there are some good roads around the hills area. just be prepared to go at 10kph behind someone if you travel during the day

Last edited by krt10; 29-11-2010 at 02:16 AM.
krt10 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 07:53 AM   #8
BigAL_250
and that's how it is

If you're after a decent drive, just head east, pretty much every road is a good drive. Straight south of town can be good too.

Though you'll be lucky to get a clear run, the standard traffic speed tends to be around 40kph!
2012 Ford FG MkII G6E 2014 -
BigAL_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 10:55 AM   #9
SVTVNM
Guzzler

Thanks guys, we are staying at the Stanford at Glenelg, on the beach. And my insurance company has OK'd the use of the Mustang for the road trip, so will be good to go. staying during the week,
SVTVNM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 12:12 PM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggypoppin'
(give Coriole a try especially, shameless plug for my old man)
Better plug St Hallett in the Barossa for the wife :P
Quote:
after some wine head to Moans for a sunny afternoon meal
That would be Moana, not Moans.
Old 29-11-2010, 01:55 PM   #11
JTFG
In a Ford..at last!

I really like Adelaide, go once a year by car, easy to drive around the city and etc. Could maybe go to the Zoo? But yeah most things suggested seem to be spot on!
JTFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #12
Bud Bud
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you pass through Tailem Bend, it is worth stopping and having a beer in on the rear balcony of the Riverside Hotel (right opposite the Shell servo) which over looks the Jervois ferry and into the sunset along the Murray River. I personally recommend the steaks there! So dinner time would be good.

Because you are staying in Glenelg then you can easily go for a drive down the Fleurieu Peninsula and down past Aldinga to Normanville. The drive is mainly coastal and on a sunny day, the views across the sea are fantastic, and there is plenty of all the usually stop ins along the way.

As others have mentioned Victor Harbour is a must. But really all the way along the strip that runs parrel to the Southern Ocean to Goolwa is some of the best that SA has to offer. It is my favourite place to cruise, that along with through the hills to Birdwood and also the Barossa.

If you do make it to Goolwa via Victor Harbour, make sure you stop of at the Pt Elliot Bakery along the way. I have not been there for a while but on Sundays, there is usually a queue that goes all the way out of the front door which includes even the locals so you know what that means. It is in the main street as you go through Pt Elliot opposite the pub so it is easy to find.

Either way enjoy your ride with your family in amongst some of the best we have to offer.

Bud Bud.
Bud Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #13
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, Christmas display along Torrens river by the brewery.

Lobethal Christmas light.. not sure when they are starting

Belated honeymoon...Gondola cruise along Torrens river/creek (do a web search, organised this for my parents one year).

Wonder if it is worth organising a dinner to meet some of the SA People...
... or maybe not
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #14
66FAIRLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
'Goodlife' organic pizza down the bay..... go the roast duck pizza..
Hmmm....roast duck ya say.

Gunna give that a go soon.
66FAIRLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 06:02 PM   #15
xr6turboford

Most people think that Pt Elliot its a great bakery,(not saying its bad) but the best kept secret in Goolwa is the Original bakery on the corner of loveday st and Dawson st. Also the Caltex servo makes one mean pizza. While your in the area Check out Hindmarsh Island as it has a nice marina + 5min up the road you can see the mouth of the Murry. Hope you have great stay in Adelaide, lets face it we live in a wonderful country. Spoiled for choices.
xr6turboford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 05:36 PM   #16
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Bud
go for a drive down the Fleurieu Peninsula and down past Aldinga to Normanville. .
went for a cruise (cruise, not fang) down to normanville then accross to victor. not much to see but trees on the way through to victor but the road is actually pretty good. hadn't driven it before (maybe once a long time ago) so wasn't familiar with the road but still an easy road to drive and the xr6 loved it. probably not something i'd do with the mrs or family in the car but i was on me own just blowing off steam.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 PM   #17
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just don't come via the Coorong. The bone shaking road hasn't changed in over 20years. It's not even nice in a family cruiser.
Once in Adelaide one of the best cruises / runs is up nth east rd & down gorge rd. Nice cruise or pleasant drive
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:55 PM   #18
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
Better plug St Hallett in the Barossa for the wife :P

That would be Moana, not Moans.
Stupid iPhone.
In actual fact, nearly all of adelaides wine regions are worth a visit. The drives are always fun and you can make a whole day of it. Hope you enjoy Adelaide!
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post