Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 19-11-2010, 08:44 PM   #1
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default How difficult is it to change brake pads

Damn, these focusés, I think I'm out of brake pads again. The last set I went through all four, inc all four rotors need changing according to dealer@38,000km.

Thinking of going aftermarket instead of motorcraft.

Imaz

2009 FG Falcon XR6 Sedan, Octane.
2012 WK2 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited, Mineral Grey.
imaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
20focus05
I wanna XR5

do it
we went slotted and I think bendix at about 40 odd
I last changed pads at 96000 we are now at 196000 with about 80% pad left
we mainly do country driving and dont need to slow for corners(even 55 ones)

Ex Ford owner and member of this great site for ages.

South Australia, where the RIGHT hand lane is the NEW LEFT lane??????!!! %&#@*
20focus05 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 08:14 AM   #3
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I did the fronts last weekend, easy 1/2 hour job. Haven't done rears yet, anyone comment on ease of those?
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #4
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rears are more difficult because the hand brake works off them and the brake pistons need to be wound back in rather than squeezed back like you can do on the fronts. Yep there is a special tool for the rear piston.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I called up autobarn and they suggested to change the rotors too, from their experience. I guess the dealers and thirdparties also want to change the rotors in every pad change.

Is this a difficult job? Im wondering how much it would cost for slotted front rotors? I dont think its necessary to change the rears yet.

Imaz

Old 27-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #6
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Without trying to be rude, if you need to ask about the brake replacement job, may be you should be getting somebody else to do the job, even if you got somebody else that knows to show you how to do it.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #7
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, I have taken the wheels off and have inspected the rotors. I can't find any grooves or visible damages, and running my finger on both sides of the rotor seemed smooth enough for both Left and Right hand side.

Would you say the rotors are fine?

I'm hoping so as the pads also look easy to replace. Infact, I'm going to buy some pads today and some service parts for the engine as its due for a service too. I'll plan for the brake pad change and engine service next weekend.

Anyone know what size is the allen key wrench for the calipers bolts?

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1945.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1944.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1943.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1942.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1940.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1939.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1938.jpg

Imaz

Old 27-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The issue with OEM disc rotors was wearing thin below the minimum thickness, not necessarily groves on the face. Use a micrometer to check their size.
fronts: new 25mm min is 23 mm rear: new 11 min 9mm
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #9
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ok, so I have bought this no brand pad from super cheap as they didnt have bendex. $46. Anyone heard of Calibre?

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1948.jpg

I have done as suggested and borrowed my fathers vernier scale and the rotors are about 24.5mm in thickness from outer to inner. So I think they are still okay.

However, on another note, my other car which I recently bought 4mo ago, second hand, check out the rotor! Pic below, xr6@34,000KM. See that groove? What will happen, and should I change? I dont find any problems with braking or anything.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e/IMG_1947.jpg

Imaz

Old 28-11-2010, 03:39 PM   #10
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I serviced the car today, and attempted to change the pads. With all my allen key sets, who on earth sells a 7mm hex socket? Why would damn focus use an unusual sized socket?

I went to super cheap, and auto one and both dont sell a 7mm hex socket, either in allen key sets nor individual sockets all the way through to sidchrome/king chrome full sets. 7mm is the size that is skipped!

Imaz

Old 28-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #11
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz
I serviced the car today, and attempted to change the pads. With all my allen key sets, who on earth sells a 7mm hex socket? Why would damn focus use an unusual sized socket?

I went to super cheap, and auto one and both dont sell a 7mm hex socket, either in allen key sets nor individual sockets all the way through to sidchrome/king chrome full sets. 7mm is the size that is skipped!

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?imgu...,ctr:countryAU

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Might be the wrong page, but toolmart.com.au looks like someplace that can help you out in Perth.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #13
REDDYZ

Buy these Kinchrome hex keys from Autobarn, or Repco for about $30. You also get 25 pce which is a bit cheaper. These are precision made with sharp edges and are very strong minimising the chances of rounding the hex bolts. I have used them for two years everyday as a mechanic and bought this new set yesterday to do brake pads on my Cougar. Pretty much similar setup and needed same size hex key. These keys are stronger than sockets. You just need to use a metal pipe or a ring spanner to turn the keys as shown in the pic below. You try these and you wont regret.

With discs never go with the lipped edges. Doesn't matter whether they are lipped or not, you always measure them. If minimum thickness is 25 mm and the disc is 24.5mm just replace them. They cant take the heat or load. This will heat up the calipers, pistons and brake fluid. You can feel brake feedback on the pedal, brakes fade off very quick and you you dont want me to list more. In case disc is lipped but thickness of disc is above minimum thickness then get the discs machined and they are good to go again.

When you back off the pistons, make sure you open the brake fluid reservoir cap so that piston can be pushed back easily and wont damage any seals. I tired to push pistons back with brake fluid reservoir cap on few years ago and for the brake fluid no where to go, it started to come out from master cylinder seal. luckily I realised it quick and opened the cap. It doesn't happen in all the cars because some cars will have vents on the caps and let the fluid over flow through the cap. But not Cougars. They are air tight with no overflow vents. Might be the same case with focus too. Also when you back off piston use old pad against the tool and take care not to damage the piston boot and do one at a time. Dont start the other one until you finish the

Good luck.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.

Last edited by REDDYZ; 28-11-2010 at 07:26 PM.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 01:15 PM   #14
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
Buy these Kinchrome hex keys from Autobarn, or Repco for about $30. You also get 25 pce which is a bit cheaper. These are precision made with sharp edges and are very strong minimising the chances of rounding the hex bolts. I have used them for two years everyday as a mechanic and bought this new set yesterday to do brake pads on my Cougar. Pretty much similar setup and needed same size hex key. These keys are stronger than sockets. You just need to use a metal pipe or a ring spanner to turn the keys as shown in the pic below. You try these and you wont regret.

With discs never go with the lipped edges. Doesn't matter whether they are lipped or not, you always measure them. If minimum thickness is 25 mm and the disc is 24.5mm just replace them. They cant take the heat or load. This will heat up the calipers, pistons and brake fluid. You can feel brake feedback on the pedal, brakes fade off very quick and you you dont want me to list more. In case disc is lipped but thickness of disc is above minimum thickness then get the discs machined and they are good to go again.

When you back off the pistons, make sure you open the brake fluid reservoir cap so that piston can be pushed back easily and wont damage any seals. I tired to push pistons back with brake fluid reservoir cap on few years ago and for the brake fluid no where to go, it started to come out from master cylinder seal. luckily I realised it quick and opened the cap. It doesn't happen in all the cars because some cars will have vents on the caps and let the fluid over flow through the cap. But not Cougars. They are air tight with no overflow vents. Might be the same case with focus too. Also when you back off piston use old pad against the tool and take care not to damage the piston boot and do one at a time. Dont start the other one until you finish
Good luck.

Thanks for your advise. I believe the min thickness is 23mm, and brand new is 25mm. So with my current rotors they are at 24.5mm, I should be fine?

I might try repco if they have the 7mm hex socket, I have seen some online shops which sell the 7mm hex socket labelled as "brake caliper socket" for about US$5.

I am hoping they have something similar at repco so I can work on it next weekend, otherwise I'll be digging further in to the rotors if I wait a shipment from US.

Thanks for the link above guys regarding tool mart, those hex spanners with the plastic handle look really long, and because they are handles, I might not have much force to undo the bolts, as opposed to a socket/rachet.

Its great to get advise from a mechanic on these forums, really appreciate it. I dont intend to do work on my car so regular, its just those times when I can't be bothered making a booking to the service stations and leave my car there and when I know the parts only cost $50 to replace. It is only when I take them apart and realize I dont have one tool which frustrates me. In the past, I normally send the car to dealers and autobarn.

I tend to get cars with difficult bolt size, ie focus, previous car was a chrysler neon(ouch!).

A few of you have mentioned you can buy tools from autobarn? is this the same autobarn as the service station? I have'nt seen any autobarn shops in WA.

Imaz

Old 29-11-2010, 05:22 PM   #15
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i went to bunnings and picked up a 25pc kingchrome allenkey set which has size 7mm... $16! Looks very much like your set, though in a soft casing.

Imaz

Old 30-11-2010, 12:32 AM   #16
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have replaced the brakes, they seem to work okay. Probably more softer or maybe its in my head. I had thought if I replace the pads, because of the thickness, my pedal would be more higher as apposed to softer.

Imaz

Old 11-12-2010, 03:59 AM   #17
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So after 2 weeks, the el-cheapo brakes are starting to make squeeking noise. Do you think I installed it rite? but then again they work and only started to squeek now...

Imaz

Old 12-12-2010, 10:22 PM   #18
REDDYZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaz
i went to bunnings and picked up a 25pc kingchrome allenkey set which has size 7mm... $16! Looks very much like your set, though in a soft casing.
Mine is 30 pce with long hand hex keys. I got 25pce (the one you bought) along with kinchrome tool kit which I bought 2 years back and use at work. Both are same except 30 pce has plastic casing and long hand keys and few extra small micro keys.

Brake pads go only one way. You cant go wrong with them. So dont worry you got it right. I hope you had put the retaining clip back on the caliper. Other than that nothing else could go wrong.
Ex Cougar - 00' MTX 2.5L (Limited edition Eibach Cougar); Dark Green Tourmaline; Lowered with Eibach tuned suspension from factory; SVT UIM, LIM & Throttle body; Supercat 2.5" dual exhaust with twin pipe quad outlets; Custom headers; Custom coloured instrument cluster; K&N Apollo CAI kit; Calibre oil catch can.

Now driving a Lexus RX 450h. Your guess is correct that I am a family man now.
REDDYZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2010, 03:23 AM   #19
imaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDDYZ
Mine is 30 pce with long hand hex keys. I got 25pce (the one you bought) along with kinchrome tool kit which I bought 2 years back and use at work. Both are same except 30 pce has plastic casing and long hand keys and few extra small micro keys.

Brake pads go only one way. You cant go wrong with them. So dont worry you got it right. I hope you had put the retaining clip back on the caliper. Other than that nothing else could go wrong.

Yep mine has long handles.

I believe the squeeking is coming from the pads against the rotors. They were silent the first week... No dust particles either.

Maybe because their cheap?

btw, I didnt lube the piston after spraying brake cleaner all over.

Imaz