Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 18-02-2011, 05:03 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Popping/knocking sound at idle - LS LX

Hi guys, jumped in the wife's car the other day and realised i don't give it much attention. the wife is always whinging about strange noises and what not, but i generally ignore her .

so i took the opportunity to pop the bonnet and i noticed a slight knocking/popping sound coming from at the back near the exhaust manifold. didn't seem to do in when the revs were increased, but given that to increase the revs you have to use the pedal, i may have been too far away to hear. car has only done 63000km. we've only done about 4000 of those and it was serviced apparently just before i bought it although i will do it myself soon just to be sure. the sound could be slight backfiring/miss in the exhaust? it was a dull sound and i'm hoping its not something more serious like a bottem end type noise.

anyone had anything like this? obviously its difficult trying to describe a sound, and i can't really record it as you have to listen fairly closely to hear it.

it also has a squeak. i put some dressing on the belt but that didn't help. could be clutch. i'll have to see if it goes away when the clutch is pressed.

thanks in advance.

prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
prydey
Rob

Default Re: Popping/knocking sound at idle - LS LX

bit of an update

the squeak i'm not too worried about as it seems to be a pulley.

the knocking sound is rather dull and subdued but i've established that it is clutch related. i got the missus to hop in and depress the clutch, and the noise goes away. when you rev the motor, it sounds smooth, and the car drives well, so i don't think its anything major like a loose flywheel or anything. any ideas? don't think its the thrust bearing. they normally just squeak a bit.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:55 PM   #3
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Could be an engine mount that has gone, they tend to show up at idle and harder acceleration.
marg99 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2011, 06:12 PM   #4
prydey
Rob

don't think so. noise stops when clutch depressed, starts again when clutch released. unless depressing the clutch stops something vibrating. noise seems to come from low down so i'm pretty sure its in the clutch area somewhere.
Old 17-04-2011, 07:10 AM   #5
prydey
Rob

had my fg getting serviced the other day, so when the mrs dropped my down, i got one of the guys to come and have a listen.

apparently the squeak is from the water pump because he reckons the coolant needs more glycol in it. the oil in it acts as a lubricant for the water pump and should quieten it down.

he reckons the other noise i hear is just gear chatter, and nothing to really worry about.
Old 18-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Lanyi

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
he reckons the other noise i hear is just gear chatter, and nothing to really worry about.
I have been experiencing the same chatter for over a year - depress the clutch and the noise goes away.

Ford reassured me it was normal operation. The sound has not got any better or worse over the year, but it is damn annoying. I haven't taken this 'issue' any further with Ford or anyone really, but if you find something new I will be very interested.
Lanyi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 11:57 AM   #7
bseos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanyi
I have been experiencing the same chatter for over a year - depress the clutch and the noise goes away.
Yep, same here.
-K&N Pod Filter
-XR5 Rims (Late Model)
bseos is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

the tech told me the same. unless it gets worse for some reason, its nothing to worry about.